Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ban
Ban
What would you want to see banned, and on what grounds?
RE: Ban
Fire ants. On the grounds of my property.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Faith schools.

Religion has no place in the education of impressionable children.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Darwinian -

How about faith schools for adults? Or optional lessons about religion, for kids?
Chaps and Thongs Night at the biker bar next door. Sure... it sounds like a great idea, but... it's not. *shudders*
(July 18, 2010 at 8:55 am)Godhead Wrote: Darwinian -

How about faith schools for adults? Or optional lessons about religion, for kids?

I'm not bothered about adults learning about religion if they want, or even children if they are interested in the subject.

What I do object to are entire schools set up by churches or other religious authorities that have a specific agenda in mind which is to teach children that a particular faith is correct. To me this is simply brain washing and is one of the main reasons that the religious virus carries on infecting new generations.

There's a big difference between telling children that some people believe in a god and telling them that god is real.

My son went to a Church of England school and the number of times he would come home and tell me that his teacher told him he should believe or the local visiting vicar telling the whole school that God does this and Jesus did that, or that ridiculous happy clappy Christian puppet show that used to visit all the time. To me this is the pernicious indoctrination of innocent and highly impressionable children who have the right to decide for themselves what their place in the Cosmos is without having their minds poisoned by a bunch of devout Christian teachers closely monitored by the Church authority.

To me it is an evil and the sooner it's stamped out the better.
Darwinian -

Ok what about having guest speakers go to schools and debate with each other (theist V atheist), while the kids observe and ask questions, or even join in if they wish?
(July 18, 2010 at 9:21 am)Godhead Wrote: Darwinian -

Ok what about having guest speakers go to schools and debate with each other (theist V atheist), while the kids observe and ask questions, or even join in if they wish?

Why? Why not have political debates or debates based on musical taste or artistic preference or anything else? What's so special about religion?

Religion seems to have a vastly over inflated position of its own self importance in today's society and because of this seems to think it has the right to impose itself as the core of our lives and also in our schools.

I think we should follow the Australian example where many schools don't even teach religion.
Darwinian -

You're expressing a preference. But do you object to guest speakers going to schools and debating atheism V theism, and the kids asking questions and joining in?
(July 18, 2010 at 9:45 am)Godhead Wrote: Darwinian -

You're expressing a preference. But do you object to guest speakers going to schools and debating atheism V theism, and the kids asking questions and joining in?

I would have no objection if this particular debate was part of a whole debating programme where many other topics were also covered and the emphasis was on the teaching of debating skills.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ban the loser above you. Paul the Human 17313 1563823 April 22, 2022 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Ban the person above you! Dr. Dank 57 5153 November 18, 2017 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Ban guns? Brick-top 22 7944 November 20, 2016 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I hope these holy rollers don't ban me. The Atheist 4 1785 March 23, 2016 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My Twitter ban is lifted, I am back. Brian37 0 1165 September 17, 2014 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Brian37
Tongue Republican Wants to Ban Halloween:Sucking on Satans Candy Leads to Liberalism Pretzel Logic 26 6135 October 31, 2013 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Georgia wants to Ban gays from school Gooders1002 12 3819 January 29, 2013 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Ban the loser above you. reverendjeremiah 29 8095 February 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Should Facebook Ban Sexist Pages? thesummerqueen 15 2969 November 6, 2011 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Daystar's ban - Discussion Tiberius 21 8279 December 18, 2008 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet