Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Brain teaser
Brain teaser
You are outside of a room with no windows and just one door. On the wall next to the door are three light switches. The only thing in the room is a single light bulb hanging from a flex.

Your job is to determine which light switch operates the bulb inside the room.

All the time the door is shut you can play around with the switches as much as you like.

But, once you open the door you cannot touch the switches again and you must make your decision.

The room is completely sealed and you cannot see inside without opening the door.

How do you work out which switch operates the light?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Brain teaser
This is a popular one. I'll let someone who doesn't know the answer already figure it out and respond.
Can you press one switch, open the door, see if the light is on, then if it's not the right one close the door and try the next switch? Or am i drastically oversimplifying things?
God Calls Me God
But, once you open the door you cannot touch the switches again and you must make your decision.

Big Grin
There's a light on my key chain.

See? I think three steps ahead.
The version I remember had 3 bulbs but the solution was to do with feeling the bulbs to see which was warm.

So in this version:
Flip switch 1 for 5 minutes, then flip switch 2
Go into the room, if the bulb is on, then it is switch 2, if the bulb is off but warm it is switch 1, if off but cold it is switch 3

Here's mine:

Two women apply for a job. They are identical in appearance and age. They have the same mother, the same father and the same birthday. When the interviewer asks them "You must be twins?" They reply "No"

And they are not lying.

How can this be?
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
(August 27, 2008 at 5:26 pm)StewartP Wrote: Here's mine:

Two women apply for a job. They are identical in appearance and age. They have the same mother, the same father and the same birthday. When the interviewer asks them "You must be twins?" They reply "No"

And they are not lying.

How can this be?

Ones adopted.
(August 27, 2008 at 5:26 pm)StewartP Wrote: Two women apply for a job. They are identical in appearance and age. They have the same mother, the same father and the same birthday. When the interviewer asks them "You must be twins?" They reply "No"

And they are not lying.

How can this be?
Easy. They are two sisters from a bunch of triplets or any other "plet" for that matter.

Lets have a relatively simple one:

A basket contains 5 apples. How do you divide them up to 5 people so that each has one apple yet one remains in the basket?
How many animals did moses take on the ark?
(August 27, 2008 at 6:12 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(August 27, 2008 at 5:26 pm)StewartP Wrote: Two women apply for a job. They are identical in appearance and age. They have the same mother, the same father and the same birthday. When the interviewer asks them "You must be twins?" They reply "No"

And they are not lying.

How can this be?
Easy. They are two sisters from a bunch of triplets or any other "plet" for that matter.

Lets have a relatively simple one:

A basket contains 5 apples. How do you divide them up to 5 people so that each has one apple yet one remains in the basket?

The last person takes the last apple and keeps it in the basket.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brain Frying, IT, Stalkers WinterHold 26 3392 January 24, 2018 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Weird brain shenanigans Longhorn 29 3578 August 30, 2015 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Sometimes my brain just can't see things the way other people do. Losty 71 7135 October 28, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Picking Your Brain... Revelation777 39 8396 July 16, 2014 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  I need some brain bleach Chad32 10 2792 April 25, 2014 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Rahul
  It's rotting my brain, and I like it Foxaèr 30 5207 September 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: John V
  What Gender Is Your Brain? NoraBrimstone 33 5854 June 22, 2013 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  The Republican Brain little_monkey 3 1316 June 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Raven
  Left brain - Right brain Darwinian 35 5912 July 18, 2011 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Violet
  brain hemisphere tackattack 9 2388 April 2, 2011 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger