Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Songs in the wrong key
Songs in the wrong key
Have you ever tried to sing or play a song that is actually in a major scale in minor or vice versa by shifting the coupla semitones that differ? It's pretty amusing to e.g. make highly tragic sounding versions of children's songs about little ducklings playing, or "happy" funeral marches.
Why do minor scales sound more ominous and threatening. Who knows.

Well, now, there's tech to shift frequencies in actual recordings a bit to change their scales.

Here's an interesting example, Losing My Religion shifted to A major:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KmiIq2-m8

Here's a subtle one changed in the opposite direction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyFrIH2-ns

Not so subtle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7FzLX0Ql8M

NEM is harmonically so intricate that it's not just a straight major scale after the switch, and still sounds very interesting and actually pretty pretty.

I'd actually be interested in the technical details how this is accomplished. Do they simply choose a root note and divide the frequencies into semitone bins which they then shift around? What about notes that would get mapped to the same new note? With songs that use more complicated harmonizations it's not completely obvious to me. Or do they manually decide for each phrase what the appropriate substitutions are?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Songs in the wrong key
This is a new arrangement, but also veeery toe-tappingly funky happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOE9fE72QLg
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

These are really cool. Keep em coming!
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
They're certainly not offensive in any way...
Is that Metallica singing a real modified version?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I'm wondering how well it works with Death Metal as some of those power chords don't even use the third note.
Can you try 5 mins alone - Pantera?
I'm interested to hear if that changes much.

I always found it amusing the way medieval music would play a minor song but make you feel better by ending with a major. :-)
I can't imagine it working well with instrumental blues. A blues scale would sound a bit wierd, wouldn't it?
(March 17, 2016 at 6:12 am)Little lunch Wrote: I'm wondering how well it works with Death Metal as some of those power chords don't even use the third note.
Can you try 5 mins alone - Pantera?
I'm interested to hear if that changes much.

I always found it amusing the way medieval music would play a minor song but make you feel better by ending with a major. :-)

I don't know about Death Metal, but there's this hilarious Black Metal Experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq8ODuozdIo

(March 17, 2016 at 6:03 am)ignoramus Wrote: They're certainly not offensive in any way...
Is that Metallica singing a real modified version?

No, it's digitally detuned. I think there's a giveaway in train horn sound near the beginning, which is broken up instead of continuous.

very clever and creative!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 17, 2016 at 5:57 am)Nymphadora Wrote: These are really cool. Keep em coming!

Youtube is full of it. Just search for <song title> major or minor or so.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What songs or artists send you diving for the off button? arewethereyet 139 10490 March 2, 2024 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Wrong Road Taken Goosebump 0 196 February 12, 2024 at 2:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Favourite Songs In Oddly Specific Catagories BrianSoddingBoru4 3 345 February 23, 2022 at 5:45 pm
  Post Trippy Songs vulcanlogician 69 5010 August 20, 2021 at 7:51 am
  What are some songs that have changed their meaning completely over time? FlatAssembler 1 243 November 15, 2020 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Sal
  Songs of your first crush....... Brian37 16 1661 April 3, 2020 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Translating Songs FlatAssembler 28 2838 February 24, 2020 at 8:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stalky songs that make you think. Brian37 2 557 August 4, 2018 at 10:26 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Songs That Energize You Edwardo Piet 16 2908 June 30, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Wrong load? WinterHold 6 880 April 19, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet