Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is wrong with church - PAOC and AOG
What is wrong with church - PAOC and AOG
OK... so I copied this right from the PAOC (Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada which is associated with AOG Assemblies of God) website under the header "What We Believe"... And you know what... this pisses me right off. How in the hell can any normal person decipher all these words and mumbo-jumbo... Why such archaic delivery?? Big words do not make your god any bigger. Nor does is make your church seem attractive. Get real... at least lay out in common language what the hell you stand for... wow...

-We Value God: His Word, and His Creation, His redemptive purpose in Christ for the world, and His presence through the Holy Spirit.

-We value people without Christ to whom we owe the compassion of Christ and an opportunity to receive the gospel and enter into Christian fellowship.

-We value individual believers and their personal commitment to Christ, the baptism in the Holy Spirit, discipleship, Christian family life, and fulfillment of the will of God.

-We value local churches worldwide which are marked by sound doctrine, Pentecostal worship, every-member ministry, loving relationships, Holy Spirit-empowered evangelism, anointed proclamation and practical expression of Christian faith.

-We value a cooperative fellowship that enhances the church's ability to fulfill its mandate, through servant leadership, a shared vision, flexible structures, and strategic mobilization of its resources.

TIP: If you really want to relate to everyone else (Which is 99.99% of the world) get rid of the religious jargon, the dress up code, the formality, the long winded talks that nobody gets or cares about,and do something productive. I mean REALLY productive. Like a steak and beer night. THAT is how you build a community…People understand beer and steak night… they get it. And don’t do it to try and make converts. Just do it because you want to. lose the agenda, and learn to make friendships… The church has long forgotten how to associate with ‘The Unequally Yoked’. WAKE UP!! That is almost EVERYBODY! Make lasting friendships and then and ONLY then do you have the personal right to talk about things such as religion and conversion.

Smile
RE: What is wrong with church - PAOC and AOG
I did not read anything that was hard to understand and I'm Baptist. You need to take a look at the social life of christians and the fellowship(one of those big words you had a hard time with-means special friendship) we enjoy and try sharing it with our communities. We share of ourselves and finances far more than most people imagine and ask for nothing in return, sure we will invite them to attend services with us but we do not twist arms and take prisoners like so many believe. We try to do our best under the leadership of Christ for those in our communities yes and that means sharing the Gospel of Christ because we believe it's the best life but force it on others,No.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
What Godschild said above is true. I bet you never thought I'd say that did you, Godschild! Haha!

It doesn't matter whether you or I believe in god(s) or the truth of the bible(s) or any of the dogma associated with religion. It is plain to see that the fellowship and sense of community offered by a church congregation is a primarily positive thing. There is nothing wrong with togetherness and shared values. At least not for the individuals of said group. That is one of the strongest allures that organized religion has in it's arsenal. In fact, I'd be willing to bet, and I think Godschild would agree, that there are people belonging to church congregations that are primarily there for the feelings of belonging and acceptance... and may not really believe that strongly, if at all, in the dogma.

I also agree that there wasn't really any archaic or difficult to decipher wording there. What parts were you referring to, specifically?
Thanks Paul it is good to know that some who are nonbelievers see that the church does good things.
Yes I agree with you that there are some who use the church as a place of acceptance and belonging and miss out on the truth of the church. Unfortunately there are some who have agendas for using the church for personal gain and they call themselves christians which hurts the true church and that is a sad thing and it angers me.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I agree with you absolutely rattleshock. That was obviously written by someone entrenched in their own brand of churchspeak not bothering at all about what the other 99% of the population makes of it. what's obvious is you're going to have to step back into the last century to get into this crowd. I wouldn't bother.
Quote:Thanks Paul it is good to know that some who are nonbelievers see that the church does good things.

Creating a tribal 'us against them' mentality is never a good thing. That's what churches excel at.
What is wrong with churches?

They are standing.

Big Grin
(July 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm)lrh9 Wrote: What is wrong with churches?

They are standing.

Big Grin

Not sure I understand please explain.
Nothing wrong with churches it's what goes on inside them that perpetuates delusion.
(July 25, 2010 at 10:31 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(July 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm)lrh9 Wrote: What is wrong with churches?

They are standing.

Big Grin

Not sure I understand please explain.
I think he means they should be pulled down

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 9148 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1209 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2687 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5308 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3587 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4142 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Girls drugged and abused at church-run home zebo-the-fat 20 2580 July 17, 2016 at 6:31 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Racism is alive and kicking in Mississippi church drfuzzy 56 6205 April 28, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What's the future of Catholic Church and Satan? satan_buttercup 179 28819 August 27, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  The Catholic Church And Magdalen Laundries Nope 60 8169 June 19, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho