Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:25 pm

Poll: "Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do[...]" - Jeremy Bentham
This poll is closed.
Mostly agree.
40.00%
2 40.00%
Mostly disagree.
60.00%
3 60.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Agree With The Turtle? Poll #1
Do You Agree With The Turtle? Poll #1
Do you agree?
RE: Do You Agree With The Turtle? Poll #1
I FIND THE POLL AMBIGUOUS
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 16, 2016 at 10:51 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I FIND THE POLL AMBIGUOUS

Surely "amphibious"?
I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty.
Ambidextrous ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I partially agree. Except peace and happiness lies in fulfillment of justice, morality, honour,  and good relationships which need proper etiquette and manners. And these things can't be simply defined by pain nature afflicts or not.  There is something more meaningful, and the center of all of it is love. 

And the center of that love lies the loved to the absolute being who is with us, inside of us, and closer to us then our jugular vein.
I mostly agree with the quote but not fully because it is simplistic.

One thing I firmly believe is the following: Causes, correlations and sources of emotions are more important than the emotions themselves. For example: A source of happiness is more important to focus on than the happiness you are already experiencing, focusing on your own happiness won't make you very happy, or at least not for more than a couple of minutes. Happiness doesn't make us happy, that which is outside of happiness makes us happy. The Paradox of Hedonism also known as the Pleasure Paradox is relevant to this.

This also applies to other emotions, for the same reasons.

As for ambiguity, yes it is ambiguous. Also amphibious, because turtle.

"Mostly agree" technically includes "fully agree", of course, because when something is fully something it is certainly not not mostly it. And "It is not not it" = "it is it".

"Mostly disagree" technically includes "fully disagree", of course, because when something is fully something it is certainly not not mostly it. And "It is not not it"= "it is it".

Lol.
I mostly don't agree because it is incredibly simplistic.

I could see it as a sensible starting point, or a rule of thumb, but a very dangerous one if applied wholesale thoughtlessly.

I do however think that our emotions are ultimately responsible for our morality, and indeed for every action we take.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm not going to stick my neck out on this and will just return to my shell.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

[Image: 12orh8.jpg]

Naughty
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 17, 2016 at 8:24 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: I'm not going to stick my neck out on this and will just return to my shell.

That's my fuckin' line Angry

Joke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Poll To End All Polls no one 12 1027 February 5, 2019 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Troll Poll on Atheism ignoramus 2 498 December 17, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Poll: What To Do With Defunct Retail Outlets BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1897 October 30, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Bathroom Poll Foxaèr 31 2868 October 3, 2018 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Poll: Is it possible to be both very creepy and very sexy? Edwardo Piet 12 2217 May 22, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Quick Poll: Do you speak more than one language? Edwardo Piet 40 4173 April 27, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Antares
  Favorite Ninja Turtle! Mystic 27 4659 April 24, 2018 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Another sex poll...4 or 9? John V 85 14606 April 19, 2018 at 4:25 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  For the GUYS only here... A quick poll... Joods 102 7058 March 8, 2018 at 6:52 am
Last Post: Joods
  Not A Poll: Two People Are At A Picnic BrianSoddingBoru4 13 1712 January 10, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13