Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afterlife, I'd be happy if it were true.....
Afterlife, I'd be happy if it were true.....
One thing I was thinking is that a prime motivator for man to create God is the need for immortality and our discomfort with the permanence of death.

However, wanting to live forever very very very badly, doesn't make it true, and that's why I cannot currently believe in an afterlife because I have yet to see any evidence of it.  (non-crackpot evidence more specifically)

However, if I do die (co'mon cyborg technology! ;P), and that causes me to one day wake up in some higher dimension or something, I'd be thrilled! But until that day, or if science one day finds "a god or higher dimension" that can imply such a thing, I cannot believe in all good rational sense that such an afterlife exists where I'd be self-aware.

I do almost kinda have a hunch though that when I do die, I'd just wake up again as my old same 4-year-old self and live the exact same life over again with no memories of before (thus, making all the exact same stupid mistakes in my life all over again), but again, what do I know......
[Image: tumblr_nvrbfbDXgM1u0bifgo1_400.jpg]
RE: Afterlife, I'd be happy if it were true.....
I don't see why the existence of a Deity would imply an afterlife anyway. What would the reason for the afterlife be? Why would the Deity care if we persist or not?

I find it much more plausible that a Deity would lie about an afterlife to make us do stuff. Big Grin
(April 21, 2016 at 10:24 pm)maestroanth Wrote: I do almost kinda have a hunch though that when I do die, I'd just wake up again as my old same 4-year-old self and live the exact same life over again with no memories of before (thus, making all the exact same stupid mistakes in my life all over again), but again, what do I know......

If I understand relativity correctly, that sort of happens. Relativity says that all points in time are equally valid. The past isn't really gone, nor is the future non-existent. You still have a finite life with a beginning and an end.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
There is an after life: it's called death Big Grin

It's the only after life I want. And agreed, there is no reason a deity would imply an afterlife, or vice versa. They just happen to both be part of popular myths.

The idea of an afterlife outside this reality is as absurd as a character from a computer game materialising outside of the program and walking around.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I personally dislike the idea of an afterlife. I like everything being so insignificant yet so valuable to me. The only thing I think I'd like would be if I could live forever but I could also stop living whenever I wanted, just straight out turn off my counsciousness in an instant. Although I would refuse the offer if other people wouldn't live forever like me.
There is a life after death. The dead just don't get to actively participate.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I would wish for a heaven but I'm already living heaven on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYN97VyKdnU
Two things I've always been certain of is that I don't want to die or pay taxes. Oh well.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
With all its ups and downs, I have quite enjoyed being able to use the various senses to experience this phase of eternity. I used to believe in an afterlife, just because I wanted to. But the kind folks over at AF.com coldly shot that down for me, and I moved on into reality. 

I still wouldn't mind living more than I'm going to, but I fully accept that will not happen.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(April 22, 2016 at 8:42 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Two things I've always been certain of is that I don't want to die or pay taxes. Oh well.

I have a 100% success rate at both so far Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3891 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? vulcanlogician 188 22427 August 30, 2021 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3645 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1530 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
  If you were accused but were innocent ... GrandizerII 40 2949 December 3, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11347 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 25273 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 31319 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  What if Creationists were Athiest for a day? ScienceAf 59 5885 August 29, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Afterlife Torin 127 11896 August 17, 2016 at 6:51 am
Last Post: chimp3