Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:12 am

Poll: What do you think of this concept?
This poll is closed.
It makes a lot of sense.
63.64%
7 63.64%
It doesn't make sense.
0%
0 0%
I'm not sure. I'll have to think about it more. It's interesting.
18.18%
2 18.18%
Fuck a poll in the butt.
18.18%
2 18.18%
Fuck me with a pole in the butt.
0%
0 0%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Two Selves.
The Two Selves.
I find the concept of two selves to our psychology, the reflective self and the experiencial self, to be very interesting.

On the one hand we experience everything here and now, in moods, and on the other hand we experience memories and anticipations of memories that feel very different to when those things were/will be actually experienced. How we remember or expect to remember certain experiences is very different to how they feel when they are experienced.

We can be in a shitty mood day to day quite regularly, but feel satisfied with our life.

We can be in a good mood day to day quite regularly, but feel dissatified with our life.

There is our mood felt in our moment to moment experience, one type of happiness, and there is our overall life satisfaction, another type of happiness.

Studies have shown that provided we are not suffering too much from poverty, due to the hedonic treadmill money doesn't tend to make people much happier.

But studies have also shown that more happiness does increase more life satisfaction, not just past the poverty line.

That's because some studies of happiness are about life satisfaciton, and some are about moment to moment happiness -- and some are about both -- and it's important to avoid the equivocation and not mix the two up.

The concept I am talking about was conceived by the studier of bias and statistics, psychologist and author of Thinking Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman:

Wikipedia Wrote:Thinking, Fast and Slow is a best-selling 2011 book by Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics winner Daniel Kahneman which summarizes research that he conducted over decades, often in collaboration with Amos Tversky. It covers all three phases of his career: his early days working on cognitive biases, his work on prospect theory, and his later work on happiness.

The book's central thesis is a dichotomy between two modes of thought: "System 1" is fast, instinctive and emotional; "System 2" is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. The book delineates cognitive biases associated with each type of thinking, starting with Kahneman's own research on loss aversion. From framing choices to people's tendency to substitute an easy-to-answer question for one that is harder, the book highlights several decades of academic research to suggest that people place too much confidence in human judgement.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

Here's an interesting video of his TED talk, all about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgRlrBl-7Yg

I'd be interesting what others think of this interesting concept of how we experience life cognitively and emotionally. And I'd be interested to hear from anyone who watches/has watched this full TED talk, or is already familiar with Daniel Kahneman or his book.
RE: The Two Selves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWaIE6u3wvw
Is there a version for theists?
Preferably one by Hodor?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I think it makes a lot of sense. I really enjoyed the video, thanks!

I've always found it kind of practical to consider myself as two different entities, "me" and "my brain". I know that in reality they are pretty much the same thing, but it helps me to recognise the way it all works. I suppose I'm really contrasting my conscious thoughts and my subconscious.

This is further subdividing the subconscious part of me into two types of happiness. I frequently see this mismatch between them, and now I have a proper way to analyse this. I find it fascinating how important the "ending" is to the remembering self. I wonder how that is explained in evolutionary terms.

I am increasingly of the opinion that the conscious mind is just a series of stories that the subconscious tells itself to help rationalise what is happening, and what choices it makes. I'm far from convinced it has any actual say in anything.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
More existential turtle angst ?

Really ?

Now ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Really really.
Fucking really.
I'm of two minds about this thread....
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Haha! Good one!

Hammy
What's this "two selves" stuff? I'm still having trouble finding one self.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can two wrongs ever make a right? ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2815 February 8, 2017 at 2:20 am
Last Post: Whateverist
Question Two Questions... Really The Same. ShaMan 22 4445 July 31, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two More Questions (Again, Really The Same) BrianSoddingBoru4 12 3555 July 31, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Two excellent reasons to OPPOSE gay marriage in the UK ideologue08 184 95195 June 8, 2013 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: ideologue08
  Question about two possible attributes of God FallentoReason 43 10477 June 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy