Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about two possible attributes of God
Question about two possible attributes of God
Theists, I've gathered that the consensus on here is that God isn't omnibenevolent. Is he morally perfect though? Or is moral perfection the same as being omnibenevolent?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Question about two possible attributes of God
(June 3, 2013 at 10:58 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Is he morally perfect though?

We believe that God is perfectly just - therefore - yes, I would say that he is also morally perfect.
Theists typically take moral perfection and omnibenevolence to be synonymous.
"I know what you are thinking about,' said Tweedledum: 'but it isn't so, nohow.'

'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." ~Tweedledum and Tweedledee discussing the finer points of logic
You might confuse omnibenevolence with always acting in favour of humans over anything else. God is love/ all loving/the source if love. Also, like Rayaan said, Christians too think that God is just. He only is perfectly moral.
(June 4, 2013 at 2:54 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Christians too think that God is just. He only is perfectly moral.

So if God told you to go rape a little girl, would you do it? I mean it must be morally right, yea? If God told you to do it.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(June 4, 2013 at 6:47 am)Rationalman Wrote:
(June 4, 2013 at 2:54 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Christians too think that God is just. He only is perfectly moral.

So if God told you to go rape a little girl, would you do it? I mean it must be morally right, yea? If God told you to do it.

Here we go again childish mish mash, God could not do this so there is no discussion or answer to such a question. If you decide to operate in the real world, then we will answer your sensible questions.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(June 4, 2013 at 10:20 am)Godschild Wrote: God could not do this

Just like God couldn't command his followers to kill every man, woman, child, and all livestock of foreign nations which he deemed "evil?" Why couldn't God command his followers to rape, too?

It's not really whether God could command someone to do this or not, but whether some mentally unbalanced person thinks God tells him to do this and acts upon it. Religion is dangerous in the hands of crazy people.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(June 4, 2013 at 10:20 am)Godschild Wrote: Here we go again childish mish mash, God could not do this so there is no discussion or answer to such a question. If you decide to operate in the real world, then we will answer your sensible questions.
So he's not omnipotent, or is it your will which forbids him to do this?
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
"It makes me uncomfortable, therefore God is incapable of it."

Or better yet: "We can't know God's mind, but we know he would never tell someone to do that."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(June 4, 2013 at 10:20 am)Godschild Wrote: Here we go again childish mish mash, God could not do this so there is no discussion or answer to such a question. If you decide to operate in the real world, then we will answer your sensible questions.

So God is fully capable of telling Abraham to kill his son, but raping a little girl is too much of a stretch? Don't give me that bullshit! You say god is omnipotent but he can't ask you to rape a little girl, therefore he is not omnipotent. Or did you mean that he wouldn't tell you to do something like that? Well i got news for you, its in his character to order people to do stuff like that.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5788 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 963 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2047 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can two wrongs ever make a right? ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2824 February 8, 2017 at 2:20 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? Kernel Sohcahtoa 64 8391 November 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Two Selves. Edwardo Piet 18 2084 May 6, 2016 at 5:31 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
Question Two Questions... Really The Same. ShaMan 22 4450 July 31, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two More Questions (Again, Really The Same) BrianSoddingBoru4 12 3564 July 31, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Possible Worlds and Causal Closure Neo-Scholastic 2 893 March 28, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Possible is not necessarily possible. Mystic 13 3433 August 22, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle