Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can two wrongs ever make a right?
Can two wrongs ever make a right?
Quote:"Two wrongs make a right" is a fallacy of relevance, in which an allegation of wrongdoing is countered with a similar allegation. Its antithesis, "two wrongs don't make a right", is a proverb used to rebuke or renounce wrongful conduct as a response to another's transgression.

Can two wrongs ever make a right? The underlying question is whether it is moral to sacrifice morals for the greater good.
Killing terrorists can be said as an example. You're countering a wrong with another wrong which results in a right.

Is it moral? You could consider any act that results in a positive outcome as an act that could be considered moral. However, this leads to a slippery slope where systematically killing humans to control overpopulation becomes a moral act. 

Thoughts?
RE: Can two wrongs ever make a right?
(February 7, 2017 at 10:42 pm)pool the great Wrote: Can two wrongs ever make a right? The underlying question is whether it is moral to sacrifice morals for the greater good.
Killing terrorists can be said as an example. You're countering a wrong with another wrong which results in a right.
IMO, you're confusing practical necessity with moral imperative.  You may have to kill someone to stop them from killing, but that doesn't make killing them right (nor am I maintaining here, btw, that's it's wrong to do so), only necessary.  

Quote:Is it moral? You could consider any act that results in a positive outcome as an act that could be considered moral. However, this leads to a slippery slope where systematically killing humans to control overpopulation as a moral act. 
It also leads to two "wrongs" still being wrong since you would be considering two acts with negative outcomes.  

Quote:Thoughts?
That two wrongs never make a right, even if two wrongs may, sometimes, cancel one or the other out. Also, that I'm willing to be in the wrong, from time to time, particularly in the face of necessity.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
IE. You're a pro-lifer..You get raped and are now pregnant. What do? Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 7, 2017 at 11:18 pm)ignoramus Wrote: IE.   You're a pro-lifer..You get raped and are now pregnant. What do? Dunno

Pretty sure that's the easiest question ever for them-- you have the baby.
IDK, we had a pretty christian poster yesterday or the day before split the baby (couldn't help it) between emergency contraceptives and abortives and the icky, impermissable kind of abortions. Apparently, pro lifers make moral exemptions. That's to be expected..though, isn't it? A person incapable of doing so, regardless of how strongly held their moral convictions may be......would be a trembling wreck in their day to day lives, long before they ever had to consider any truly difficult moral compromise.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 7, 2017 at 10:42 pm)pool the great Wrote:
Quote:"Two wrongs make a right" is a fallacy of relevance, in which an allegation of wrongdoing is countered with a similar allegation. Its antithesis, "two wrongs don't make a right", is a proverb used to rebuke or renounce wrongful conduct as a response to another's transgression.

Can two wrongs ever make a right? The underlying question is whether it is moral to sacrifice morals for the greater good.

Is it moral? You could consider any act that results in a positive outcome as an act that could be considered moral. However, this leads to a slippery slope where systematically killing humans to control overpopulation becomes a moral act. 

Thoughts?

By definition two wrongs can't make a right because they're both wrong.

Say if a terrorist is in armed conflict with the police, it's right that his head gets blasted off his shoulders.  So that's not two wrongs making a right, that's one right stopping a wrong by reasonable use of force.

But then obviously there's subjective opinion about what is wrong and right.  But if something is seen as wrong then doubling up on that wrong action with similar wrong actions will obviously remain subjectively wrong.

As for human population problems, I think abortion and birth control are acceptable, the only debate in my mind is how they're paid for.
I've heard some arguments about the American planned parenthood being founded by a woman who believed in eugenics and it's basically a method of reducing the black population in disguise of a liberal charitable organization.
That's just an argument I've heard though, I really don't have much opinion on the finance of birth control or planned parenthood.  I can afford abortion and birthcontrol if I want it, I don't know how much tax is being used to pay for other people's abortions and birth control but it might be worth it in the long run.

^
Just realized this last part is a bit off topic possibly. But to cut a long story short, I think it's true that most things are subjectively right or wrong despite the strong opinions I sometimes have about what is right or wrong.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

To a moral relativist like me, that's like asking "can two herps make a derp?" It's like... I don't get it.

No, but seriously. I mean, it should be possible to think of some situations in which if you do "Action A", that's "wrong" (again, whatever the eff that means), and if you do "Action B" that's wrong, but if you do Actions A and B, it's right.

Like... thinking... thinking...

This is hard. But at least I've formalized the framework Big Grin
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I have absolutely no idea.
(February 7, 2017 at 10:42 pm)pool the great Wrote:

Thoughts?

That depends on how you define wrong for each of the two supposed wrongs.
No.

But, three lefts will.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shouldn't the right to die be a human right? ErGingerbreadMandude 174 18676 February 4, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Two Selves. Edwardo Piet 18 2073 May 6, 2016 at 5:31 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
Question Two Questions... Really The Same. ShaMan 22 4449 July 31, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two More Questions (Again, Really The Same) BrianSoddingBoru4 12 3564 July 31, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Two excellent reasons to OPPOSE gay marriage in the UK ideologue08 184 95462 June 8, 2013 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: ideologue08
  Question about two possible attributes of God FallentoReason 43 10523 June 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy