Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Transsexuality and Atheism
Question About Transsexuality and Atheism
Preamble:
I do not ask this question to challenge the validity of transsexuality. In fact, I think I know the answer to my own question. But I’d like to explore the question and get the members here to think about it. And share their insights so we can have a better understanding of this FUQ (Frequently Unasked Question).

Many transsexuals say they feel like men trapped in a woman’s body or vice versa. It occurred to me that this is counter to the idea of orthodox atheism, which asserts that there is no “I,” no part of a human being that is separate from the body. How can I be a man trapped in a woman’s body if my body is all that I am?

This can be explored from many different angles, and I’d love to hear what you have to say.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Question About Transsexuality and Atheism
Quote: Rhondavous 
How can I be a man trapped in a woman’s body if my body is all that I am?

If your brain doesn't match what's between your legs.
Or vice versa.
(May 30, 2016 at 4:50 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Many transsexuals say they feel like men trapped in a woman’s body or vice versa.  It occurred to me that this is counter to the idea of orthodox atheism, which asserts that there is no “I,” no part of a human being that is separate from the body. How can I be a man trapped in a woman’s body if my body is all that I am?

This can be explored from many different angles, and I’d love to hear what you have to say.

But there is an "I." It just so happens that this is a process bound and contained within a physical brain which is part of a body, rather than an embodied soul that can exist freely on its own. The fact that self referencing minds exist is, I would think, accepted by all atheists; the disagreement is one of origin, not of existence.

That said, what we have here is an overclocked ape brain set within physical parameters that are constantly changing, generation by generation, without any heed or recognition paid to all the other parameters. We are, in essence, physical beings barely able to play catch-up with the rest of ourselves: it's no thing at all to accept the idea that a brain and its corresponding genitals might come out of that evolutionary maelstrom fundamentally mismatched in some portion of the population, especially in light of all the other permutations- both detrimental and positive- that we observe in every species, all of the time.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 30, 2016 at 4:50 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: It occurred to me that this is counter to the idea of orthodox atheism

I already take issue with that.

orthodox atheism, what should that be? Some kind of ideology? Maybe it's because I'm fundamentally disinterested in atheism that I don't know. I'm an atheist and I'm an individual. There's plenty of Is in what I am and certainly no we when it comes to atheism. I reserve my we's for persons that interest me on other levels than simply sharing my disbelief.

So, I'm rather suspicious when the term orthodox is used in any kind of connexion, since it insinuates another kind of hive mind approach.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I'm with Abaris. I have no idea what "orthodox atheism" even means. I lack belief in deities; that's what makes me an atheist. There's nothing about transgenderism/ transexuality even skirting the definition.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Quote: It occurred to me that this is counter to the idea of orthodox atheism

Orthodox atheism?

Oh no.

Do we have a silly hat, too?

[Image: Silly-Hat-Image.jpg]
Hey Rhonda.

With regard to this: " the idea of orthodox atheism, which asserts that there is no “I,”", sorry, that's not part of my atheist position. I'm not really sure what that means, you may need to explain further. Do I totally understand trans, no, because I'm not trans. I don't think any one can who is not trans. But I can try to understand trans as much as my brain will allow and accept that trans exists. There are quite a few mental states that I try to understand and accept, it's not limited to trans or sexual orientation(s).
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 30, 2016 at 5:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Orthodox atheism?

Oh no.

I have never wanted anything more than I want that hat.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 30, 2016 at 5:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Orthodox atheism?

Oh no.

I'll take one. Tongue
Silly Hat
[Image: fun.jpg]

I don’t think anyone could have expressed my personal opinion of “orthodox atheism” more eloquently than abaris.

Esquihax also expressed a clear understanding of the question at hand. The “I” is my mind.   That part of me that stands back and examines my thoughts, that part of me that makes decisions about which of my cravings I will indulge and which I will deny.

No mh, we cannot fully understand what it is like to experience trans, but we do know what it is like when our bodies don’t always do what we want them to do.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 8612 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 17200 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan