Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, this is something upon which I was reflecting
So, this is something upon which I was reflecting
Having read a few atheist books, there is this common thought that recognizing any good religion may provide to some people is still a detriment toward understanding that if people persist to practice religion that those people are still inadvertently supporting the actions of the extremists.

My boyfriend raised a rather interesting concept, in relation to alcohol, and I naturally formulated a correlation to religion since we were also discussing that as well.

After all, we are not attempting to ban alcohol just because people are irresponsible with how they drink. It raised a flag, and I am quite known as being a fundamentalist anti-theist. Should religion be banned because of those who mistreat it?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: So, this is something upon which I was reflecting
Religion is a bit different because it's so intangible. You could only realistically ban organised religious meetings or public practices. Further to that, you can't stop people believing any particular superstitious business, discussing it or practicing it in private.

The one thing you could try to also stop is indoctrination, although that would be extremely hard to police.

Personally I don't think banning any of it is a good practical solution. I think it's best to directly address any harm that results from it, and to educate people, including the psychological dangers of indoctrination. Ultimately I feel it will take a societal attitude shift, and it's one that is already well underway in much of Europe.

The other problem with trying to "ban" any sort of religious activity completely is that it's going to make things more divisive than they already are, and will probably make the extremists/fundamentalists (who are the real problem) dig their heels in further and be even more willing to take reckless action.

I think there's a good chance religion will be reduced to irrelevancy just by the natural course of education and promoting equality, in most civilised countries, within a few hundred years. I foresee it being the equivalent of old wives' tales that no one cares much about, although it still goes on. Islam seems to me to be the most worrisome barrier to this, with things how they are now. It seems, on the whole, to be less flexible to being watered down and integrated. I hope I'm wrong about that.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
A good science education will ultimately put an end to the worst of religion. Relgionists are striving against such a thing because they know it threatens them. And many the audacity to claim that they are not anti-science. But you can't pick and chose which scientific theories you agree with and which you don't. A theory is the highest accolade in sciences, if you were wondering - because scientists are humble people.

(June 1, 2016 at 2:42 am)robvalue Wrote: Religion is a bit different because it's so intangible. You could only realistically ban organised religious meetings or public practices. Further to that, you can't stop people believing any particular superstitious business, discussing it or practicing it in private.

The one thing you could try to also stop is indoctrination, although that would be extremely hard to police.

Personally I don't think banning any of it is a good practical solution. I think it's best to directly address any harm that results from it, and to educate people, including the psychological dangers of indoctrination. Ultimately I feel it will take a societal attitude shift, and it's one that is already well underway in much of Europe.

The other problem with trying to "ban" any sort of religious activity completely is that it's going to make things more divisive than they already are, and will probably make the extremists/fundamentalists (who are the real problem) dig their heels in further and be even more willing to take reckless action.

I think there's a good chance religion will be reduced to irrelevancy just by the natural course of education and promoting equality, in most civilised countries, within a few hundred years. I foresee it being the equivalent of old wives' tales that no one cares much about, although it still goes on. Islam seems to me to be the most worrisome barrier to this, with things how they are now. It seems, on the whole, to be less flexible to being watered down and integrated. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Why your so mad at religion?(question to other AntiT as well). Did you get indoctrinated?
(June 1, 2016 at 2:21 am)Maelstrom Wrote: Having read a few atheist books, there is this common thought that recognizing any good religion may provide to some people is still a detriment toward understanding that if people persist to practice religion that those people are still inadvertently supporting the actions of the extremists.

My boyfriend raised a rather interesting concept, in relation to alcohol, and I naturally formulated a correlation to religion since we were also discussing that as well.

After all, we are not attempting to ban alcohol just because people are irresponsible with how they drink.  It raised a flag, and I am quite known as being a fundamentalist anti-theist.  Should religion be banned because of those who mistreat it?
In the Bible they just killed the people who didn't follow the religious rules.
(June 1, 2016 at 2:21 am)Maelstrom Wrote: Having read a few atheist books, there is this common thought that recognizing any good religion may provide to some people is still a detriment toward understanding that if people persist to practice religion that those people are still inadvertently supporting the actions of the extremists.

After all, we are not attempting to ban alcohol just because people are irresponsible with how they drink.  It raised a flag, and I am quite known as being a fundamentalist anti-theist.  Should religion be banned because of those who mistreat it?

maybe, it depends where you live.

However, In 'Merica we have this thing called the bill of rights that would forbid such a ban.
(June 1, 2016 at 11:30 am)Drich Wrote:

maybe, it depends where you live.

However, In 'Merica we have this thing called the bill of rights that would forbid such a ban.

Gonna have to agree with Drich here. Which makes me uncomfortable.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
No, I'm sorry.

The end question in my OP was an obvious understanding on my part that religion cannot be banned anymore than alcohol can.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It's not logical in any way. You can't ban sex, because some people misuse it. You can't ban food, because some people misuse it.
Why not ban the things that people do through religion that cause the harm? It's a lot more complex and dangerously edgy, but it makes more sense than banning religion. 

On the other hand, I still think it makes even more sense to improve the quality of the education system in order to compete better with religious childhood indoctrination. Instead of banning something (which could be counter productive, just look at the war on drugs), improve the other.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(June 2, 2016 at 2:40 am)Maelstrom Wrote: No, I'm sorry.

The end question in my OP was an obvious understanding on my part that religion cannot be banned anymore than alcohol can.  

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

...but alcohol was indeed ban by a constitutional amendment.

Ever watch board walk empire? The whole show is about the money being made on the black market because of said ban. NASCAR is even one of the spin off results of said ban.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which major religion will die first? FrustratedFool 6 703 September 17, 2023 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How to select which supernatural to believe? Fake Messiah 208 12524 November 26, 2022 at 1:30 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 6880 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Abrahamic roots of racism, which one is worst Sammin 2 1145 October 6, 2018 at 10:09 am
Last Post: brewer
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 2829 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Which is more attractive? love or death? WinterHold 44 6169 October 23, 2016 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
Information You must seek something else, or something is seriously wrong with you WinterHold 23 3354 August 7, 2016 at 7:52 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Ways in which I'm more powerful than God robvalue 63 9611 November 20, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religious people - Which music is pure? Dystopia 59 9251 June 26, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Something about killing in the name of atheism Dystopia 64 13448 April 19, 2015 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Dystopia