Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A problem with the word "atheist"
A problem with the word "atheist"
I was just thinking that there may be idiots out there who think that "atheist" means someone who is against god and therefore with the devil. 

Am I just being paranoid? Big Grin
RE: A problem with the word "atheist"
No, there are a lot of people who couldn't properly define the word.

But I hate the idea of abandoning a word because of uninformed or willfully ignorant people.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Theists sometimes have this mentality of "If you're not with us/god, you're against us/god". Of course then we have to explain that not believing that god exists doesn't always mean we hate god, or his followers. A lot of us don't hate a god we don't believe exists. We just hate what the followers of the religion do in its name.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Maybe in a Lucien Greaves kinda way...And, I don’t think even he is “with the devil”.
Dawkins suggested atheists call themselves "brights". Which, to me, is a stupid idea.

I suggest we use "not dumbfucks".

Smile
Dying to live, living to die.
(January 23, 2018 at 8:40 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I was just thinking that there may be idiots out there who think that "atheist" means someone who is against god and therefore with the devil...

Probably, but that's their problem.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(January 23, 2018 at 8:45 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: No, there are a lot of people who couldn't properly define the word.

But I hate the idea of abandoning a word because of uninformed or willfully ignorant people.

Yeah, besides, haters gonna hate no matter what we call ourselves.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I am against god....or at least his asshole followers.
(January 23, 2018 at 8:53 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Dawkins suggested atheists call themselves "brights".  Which, to me, is a stupid idea.

I suggest we use "not dumbfucks".

Smile

I've dated a few hot dumbfucks in my time. No complaints.
(January 23, 2018 at 8:40 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I was just thinking that there may be idiots out there who think that "atheist" means someone who is against god and therefore with the devil. 

Am I just being paranoid? Big Grin

The French Catholics created the word in the 1570s during one of their religious wars against the Protestants to describe the Protestants.  https://www.etymonline.com/word/atheist

It's now used to describe people such as myself who don't give a rat's ass about people's countless imaginary deities.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3556 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2036 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  why is there even a word to describe non believers? ticktaka 26 5799 April 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: ticktaka
  why is 'god damn' a bad word? leodeo 8 5576 February 9, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: KUSA
Tongue Looking for a word to describe someone who is not a theist. Ideas? Whateverist 18 8153 November 27, 2013 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  God is a curse word, isn't it? Magnum 30 7563 July 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Problem dealing with death as an atheist Cynical8 131 71091 June 11, 2011 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Ace Otana
  the slippery "F" word - my solution yuriythebest 31 7429 October 25, 2010 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: yuriythebest