Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas gets bitch slapped on abortion!
Texas gets bitch slapped on abortion!
SCOTUS upholds women's reproductive rights!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/us/sup....html?_r=0
RE: Texas gets bitch slapped on abortion!
Thankfully! I love my state more than my country but there are bad things here and a lot of conservatives.
Just saw this. Suck it Texas, and Miss, and Ala, and the Dakotas.

Edit: In case you didn't know what was going on and have access to PBS: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/video...full-film/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
This is a good thing. It will open the door to reversing all the damage the other states are causing.
Oh and just wait, I hope it does not happen, but wait. Some right winger will shoot up a clinic and the NRA will refuse to call it Christian terrorism. I hope that does not happen, but we've seen lots of attacks on clinics, one shooter did it last year.
(June 27, 2016 at 10:32 am)Brian37 Wrote: Oh and just wait, I hope it does not happen, but wait. Some right winger will shoot up a clinic and the NRA will refuse to call it Christian terrorism. I hope that does not happen, but we've seen lots of attacks on clinics, one shooter did it last year.

Maybe.  Depends on how they handle the aftermath of this decision.  The Planned Parenthood shooting was the direct result of those heavily edited videos and the fervor of "They're killing babies and harvesting their parts for money!!!111!!!11!1!1!"
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
For anyone interested, here's a summary of the Supreme Court's holding:

Majority Opinion (Breyer, Kennedy, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, and Kagan):

1. This case is not barred by res judicata. Res Judicata basically means "if you lose in a court case, you can't bring the very same claim again." People had tried to block this law from going into effect, but it was enacted anyway. The Supreme Court said that challenging the law after it's been enacted is not "the very same claim" as the attempt to block the law beforehand, so this was a valid legal case. This is mainly because, before the law goes into effect, you don't have a good sense of how clinics and access to abortions will be affected, whereas after you can point to concrete closures and obstacles.

2. Both parts of the law - that all abortion doctors needed admitting privileges and that all abortion centers meet the requirements of a "surgical center" under Texas law - are "an undue burden on abortion access and thus violate the Constitution." In particular,
a) any obstacle presented by a law (such as the one at issue) must be weighed against the medical benefits provided by that obstacle;
b) the evidence showed that there was no medical benefit to the admissions privilege requirement (especially compared to the previous law, "which required providers to have a 'working arrangement' with doctors who had admitting privileges); and
c) the requirement that all abortion centers meet "surgical center" standards provides no benefit that could arise in the context of an abortion and "that abortions taking place in abortion facilities are safer than common procedures that occur in outside clinics not subject to Texas's surgical-center requirements.
d) Additionally, Texas did not waive any of the requirements for any abortion centers, as it had for other non-hospital surgical centers.
e) "The [trial] court found that it 'strained credulity' to think that the seven or eight abortion facilities [left in Texas] would be able to meet the demand" in the state.

In his dissent, Thomas says that the "decision [in this case] exemplifies the Court's troubling tendency 'to bend the rules when any effort to limit abortion, or even to speak in opposition to abortion, is at issue.'" (That's his dear departed buddy Scalia he's quoting there.)

In the dissent that focuses on actual law, Alito (joined by Thomas and Roberts) argues that this case should indeed have been barred by the previous case that tried (and failed) to stop the law before it was enacted.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
What's next for the Texas legislature ??

an infibulation law ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 27, 2016 at 10:32 am)Brian37 Wrote: Oh and just wait, I hope it does not happen, but wait. Some right winger will shoot up a clinic and the NRA will refuse to call it Christian terrorism. I hope that does not happen, but we've seen lots of attacks on clinics, one shooter did it last year.

Just a matter of time, Brian.  You know, "god" will tell some xtian shithead with a personal arsenal to go do it.
The next time Texas says they want to separate from the Union fucking let them
we won't be loosing anything important at all.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SpaceX gets FAA launch approval, provided they fund interest groups HappySkeptic 10 840 June 15, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If Abortion Becomes Illegal onlinebiker 36 2802 May 8, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Will leaving the state work in Texas brewer 19 930 July 13, 2021 at 6:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  Arkansas abortion bill, Roe vs. Wade brewer 23 1282 March 17, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Misinformation drops dramatically after Trump gets banned from Twitter TaraJo 22 1666 January 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  NRA files chpter11 in NY in order to flee to Texas. Brian37 14 1146 January 16, 2021 at 5:42 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trump Train runs Biden Bus out of Texas! WinterHold 18 1319 November 2, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Texas, NOW this is encouraging. Brian37 3 234 November 1, 2020 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  UK Police officer gets stuck in handcuffs in training zebo-the-fat 10 995 August 19, 2020 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Border Control Gets Bipartisan Support onlinebiker 20 1369 August 6, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate