Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does a God exist?
Does a God exist?
Can any of the theists here actually demonstrate that a God exists?

Can you concisely, empirically, logically or rationally meet your burden of proof to demonstrate that any God exists?

Please start by defining what you mean by 'God.'

No preaching please!
RE: Does a God exist?
Let's start with what exactly they mean by a God.
I doubt we'll even get to the demonstration part Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Don't need to! You cannot prove that he doesn't! Therefore we're on equal footing! 50/50 baby! suck it! Hi5 guys! checkmate atheist scumbags!

#xtard hat off
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I don't think I've ever got past someone trying to define it in a way that is coherent and distinguishable from nothing.

Unless they try and play games by saying it's the universe and all that crap.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 5, 2016 at 6:07 am)robvalue Wrote: I don't think I've ever got past someone trying to define it in a way that is coherent and distinguishable from nothing.

I'm happy with calling superintelligent aliens/robots as gods. The universe is quite a grand entity, and I can see why some may have an intuitive feeling about such a grand entity as being divine.
Sure, if people want to do that, it's fine by me. It doesn't seem to fit theism though, although it might as well do. No one can tell me the difference between a god and an arbitrarily powerful non-god. I tried to hammer it out before, but I got nothing that made any sense to me.

I always find the term to be relative anyway. Something can be a god (as in having full control) of a particular reality, but that doesn't make them god of any other realities, including their own, necessarily.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 5, 2016 at 6:11 am)Irrational Wrote:
(July 5, 2016 at 6:07 am)robvalue Wrote: I don't think I've ever got past someone trying to define it in a way that is coherent and distinguishable from nothing.

I'm happy with calling superintelligent aliens/robots as gods. The universe is quite a grand entity, and I can see why some may have an intuitive feeling about such a grand entity as being divine.

Simple reason why Divine is mandatory! (Because aliens and robots don't offer afterlives) /thread
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 5, 2016 at 6:02 am)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: Can any of the theists here actually demonstrate that a God exists?

Can you concisely, empirically, logically or rationally meet your burden of proof to demonstrate that any God exists?

Please start by defining what you mean by 'God.'

No preaching please!

No.  The end.
You may refer to me as "Oh High One."
(July 5, 2016 at 6:15 am)ignoramus Wrote:
(July 5, 2016 at 6:11 am)Irrational Wrote: I'm happy with calling superintelligent aliens/robots as gods. The universe is quite a grand entity, and I can see why some may have an intuitive feeling about such a grand entity as being divine.

Simple reason why Divine is mandatory! (Because aliens and robots don't offer afterlives)  /thread

How do you know that aliens don't offer an afterlife?
You may refer to me as "Oh High One."
(July 5, 2016 at 6:11 am)Irrational Wrote:

You can do that, but I don't think it helps the debate in any way to broaden the definition of gods in this way. It just muddies the waters for lazy apologists to wiggle around in undisturbed.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does science always upstage God? ignoramus 940 123035 October 26, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2693 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 4922 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11104 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 23748 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1369 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why does God get the credit? Cod 91 7316 July 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: comet
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 6999 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  God doesn't love you-or does He? yragnitup 24 4824 January 24, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Republicans seem hell bent on proving their god does not exist Foxaèr 7 2269 December 23, 2017 at 4:23 am
Last Post: WinterHold