Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Always something new to learn
Always something new to learn
Not only is there a religious view of faith as well as a secular view of the same word, but there is also a religious view of free will as well as a secular view.

I have learned the latter, how many of you fellow atheists can claim the same before I deliver it to you?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Always something new to learn
There isn't even a unique secular view / definition of free will, so it's not too surprising that there might be distinct religiously motivated ones. But do enlighten us, you can put it in spoiler tags if you want Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Free will is the veritable free will to do what one wishes.

If that is not clear enough, I cannot make it any clearer.

Free will is merely the will to choose freely.
~ Erin Hunter
(July 8, 2016 at 3:38 am)Maelstrom Wrote: Free will is the veritable free will to do what one wishes.

If that is not clear enough, I cannot make it any clearer.

That's ok - but you could make an effort to let your cryptic replies sound even more pompous and condescending. I'm not quite sure whether your lowly readers really know their place if you're this generous. Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(July 8, 2016 at 3:45 am)Alex K Wrote: That's ok - but you could make an effort to let your cryptic replies sound even more pompous and condescending. I'm not quite sure whether your lowly readers really know their place.  Big Grin

I have the free will to either go left or right down the street.

That is free will.

If I did not have free will to choose the direction in which I could go, then that would mean I had no free will.
~ Erin Hunter
You mean, I can do whatever the fuck I want? Now they tell me! Sheesh...

Here I am aiming properly so as to not wee everywhere like a loser!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 8, 2016 at 3:47 am)Maelstrom Wrote:
(July 8, 2016 at 3:45 am)Alex K Wrote: That's ok - but you could make an effort to let your cryptic replies sound even more pompous and condescending. I'm not quite sure whether your lowly readers really know their place.  Big Grin

I have the free will to either go left or right down the street.

That is free will.

If I did not have free will to choose the direction in which I could go, then that would mean I had no free will.

Ok, fair enough. I'm not saying it's wrong but I have two issues with this - every human is bound to have wishes they cannot act upon due to constraints of nature etc., and wouldn't it trivially follow that no one has free will according to this definition?

Secondly, when you look into brain research dealin with how decisions are made, it seems to become clear that there is no real point where the "real you" decides, because "you" is a jumble of different subsystems doing their thing and trying to get the illusion of a consistent mind going. At what point would you say it is "you" who chooses, and when is it just some unconscious part of your brain reacting to the environment. Is that then still you chosing?

(July 8, 2016 at 3:56 am)Alex K Wrote: every human is bound to have wishes they cannot act upon due to constraints of nature etc.

Cannot or will not?

(July 8, 2016 at 3:56 am)Alex K Wrote: Secondly, when you look into brain research dealin with how decisions are made, it seems to become clear that there is no real point where the "real you" decides, because "you" is a jumble of different subsystems doing their thing and trying to get the illusion of a consistent mind going. At what point would you say it is "you" who chooses, and when is it just some unconscious part of your brain reacting to the environment. Is that then still you chosing?

I very much doubt either of your points discounts free will.
~ Erin Hunter
(July 8, 2016 at 3:59 am)Maelstrom Wrote:
(July 8, 2016 at 3:56 am)Alex K Wrote: every human is bound to have wishes they cannot act upon due to constraints of nature etc.

Cannot or will not?
First one, then the other?
Quote:
(July 8, 2016 at 3:56 am)Alex K Wrote: Secondly, when you look into brain research dealin with how decisions are made, it seems to become clear that there is no real point where the "real you" decides, because "you" is a jumble of different subsystems doing their thing and trying to get the illusion of a consistent mind going. At what point would you say it is "you" who chooses, and when is it just some unconscious part of your brain reacting to the environment. Is that then still you chosing?

I very much doubt either of your points discounts free will.

Do you have anything more specific to say about them?

I can, but shall I?
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is PeTA atheist or something of a humanist? BananaFlambe 11 766 December 4, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1826 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3013 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do neo marxist professors always wear 50s glasses, isnt it racist? Demi92 14 2821 July 7, 2018 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Joods
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16437 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1946 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why there is something rather than nothing... Jehanne 43 7772 August 28, 2016 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Shouldn't Atheists learn to accept religion? BlueGirl 185 17869 June 26, 2016 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Esiar
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 37910 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Do humans always accept proofs when presented to them? Mystic 59 13008 January 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37