Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Observation after embracing atheism for a year
Observation after embracing atheism for a year
I've "converted" from Christianity for almost a year now, and the following observation kind of snuck up on me. I'm curious if anyone else has a similar experience they'd like to share.

With Christianity, there is a "father" type relationship, where you die and go to the Father for judgment and eternity. Having abandoned that belief system, it eventually occurred to me that there is no higher power or safety net, so we're quite literally on our own (alone). As we live an interact with each other, we leave impressions there, but it doesn't get noticed by any higher power. When I was in religion, I kind of banked on the fact that I was just along for the ride, tried to be as nice as possible, and felt that some sort of higher court would look at this transcript and I'd be cool for eternity.

This is kind of sobering to realize that this life is real, and that what I do now is simply part of humanity. In other words, the impact of my words and actions is measured by a minute influence on a small slice of humanity...and that's it.

Anyone else coming from religion feel similar thoughts on this subject of being alone?
RE: Observation after embracing atheism for a year
It is part of the transition.

One realizes that one can be good without god.

Religion teaches that one can only be good with a belief in god.

Once one has escaped that false mentality, it becomes apparent that goodness is not dependent upon a fictional concept.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The moment I put God to bed for the last time was the moment I also realised how extraordinary this world and its people can be.
I stopped looking up and instead gazed in wonder around me.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
They understood the underlying techniques of brain washing long ago.
My deconversion was 40 plus yrs ago. I seem to remember a feeling of freedom and release. Shaking off the fucked up thoughts/actions tied to the delusion.

Prior to your deconversion was life something less than "real"?

I don't understand "alone".
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
One of the first things many people come to realise is that mortality makes this life all that more important.
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 10, 2016 at 7:56 pm)thool Wrote: I've "converted" from Christianity for almost a year now, and the following observation kind of snuck up on me. I'm curious if anyone else has a similar experience they'd like to share.

With Christianity, there is a "father" type relationship, where you die and go to the Father for judgment and eternity. Having abandoned that belief system, it eventually occurred to me that there is no higher power or safety net, so we're quite literally on our own (alone). As we live an interact with each other, we leave impressions there, but it doesn't get noticed by any higher power. When I was in religion, I kind of banked on the fact that I was just along for the ride, tried to be as nice as possible, and felt that some sort of higher court would look at this transcript and I'd be cool for eternity.

This is kind of sobering to realize that this life is real, and that what I do now is simply part of humanity. In other words, the impact of my words and actions is measured by a minute influence on a small slice of humanity...and that's it.

Anyone else coming from religion feel similar thoughts on this subject of being alone?

The great part about it all is that you aren't really alone. Nothing happens to you after you die. You just simply aren't, anymore. Loved ones will cherish memories of you, but you, yourself, don't have to worry about an eternal hell or always doing the right thing just to get to heaven.
You just simply cease to be, and for me, I'm rather calmed by that. I don't have to "look down" at my kids to wonder how they are doing or what they are doing or anything else.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(July 10, 2016 at 7:56 pm)thool Wrote: I've "converted" from Christianity for almost a year now, and the following observation kind of snuck up on me. I'm curious if anyone else has a similar experience they'd like to share.

I view not having some higher power watching over me and monitoring my every move as freedom rather than being alone.
Yeah, realizing that there's only one life, and that the responsibility for our words and actions are real and can't simply be waved away by telling some imaginary figure in our heads we're really sorry is sobering. And, as Tres Leches said, freeing.

I liken it to becoming an adult. Sky daddy isn't going to smooth things over when they go sideways or ground you when you do something he doesn't like. Because he doesn't exist, and never did. Welcome to life without a safety net. What are you going to do with it?
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(July 10, 2016 at 9:47 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: My deconversion was 40 plus yrs ago. I seem to remember a feeling of freedom and release. Shaking off the fucked up thoughts/actions tied to the delusion.

Prior to your deconversion was life something less than "real"?

I don't understand "alone".

Oh life was not very real to me, because I had a spiritual warranty that skewed my perception of reality. Now that I am free, I can judge my words and actions based upon my own human gauge as opposed to some dreamed up stuff written thousands of years ago.

The word "alone" in my context simply means that I am not in the company of some higher power. Actually, now I am far from alone, because I am in the company of my fellow humans, and feel great allegiance to this experience.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1659 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1461 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Backlash after celebrities sing "Imagine" GGG 21 1983 June 22, 2020 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4919 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2284 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Explaining What Happens After Death ArtVandelay 36 6697 April 1, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  It's coming up to that time of year again... The Valkyrie 40 12292 September 23, 2017 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  After An Atheist Dies Der/die AtheistIn 85 27915 July 31, 2017 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Dropship
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  As a now 13 year old atheist I feel obligated to use 4chan ScienceAf 17 3580 December 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: brewer