Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reputation Changes
Reputation Changes
As some of you have noticed, the staff have decided to remove the ability to give out negative reps. All it seems to do is move insults from posts to another part of the board, which isn't what we want. We don't have a thumbs down button for kudos, and it makes no sense to have a negative rep for people either. We want to promote positivity here, not negativity.

So as of a few hours ago, all negative reps that have been given in the past were removed, and all reputation scores recalculated.

If you don't like a person; don't give them a rep. Simple as that. Neutral reps are still available if you wish to use them.

-Adrian
RE: Reputation Changes
Indeed. It would also cause unfortunate neg repping wars, and those are just not needed.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Reputation Changes
So now to be honest about what I think of a person I don't like (which what is reputation but the beliefs or opinions that are generally held about someone or something.... which starts at what individuals think of said person or thing)... I have to give them a neutral that is negatively stated. All this has done positively is gotten the red off of the reputation sheet (I don't care much for the color on myself).

However... there are plenty of negatives associated with this. Take 'In This Mind', right? Utter fucktard. Her reputation sheet before this change showed what people in general thought of her (which is what a reputation is). Now, she appears to be a positive and contributing member of the forum.(?!)

It sounds to me like you are trying to baby us, to be frank. "We want to promote positivity here, not negativity"... that was my job. Positivity and negativity is something that fluctuates... and only should only be intervened with in the worst of the negative cases (if then!). It is not, as far as I can tell, the job of the staff to say "That was unhappy! *delete*". Indeed, such a stance as you seem to be taking can only infuriate whoever is stuck on the end of 'delete'. This is often a respected member of the forum (as shown by their reputation score, and not this all bubbly-and-happy-oh-my-gods-my-little-kids-can't-stand-unhappiness shit feature you've just introduced). You can't call it 'reputation' anymore without being dishonest... as you are seeing only the positive comments. If you were a movie, and 9/10 critics gave you a negative reputation, whereas the 1 you paid off gave you a positive, and you quote only that one: would you actually suggest to me that this is your reputation? You could say it is "Positive comments"... but don't fuck with the sanctity of the word 'reputation', for those numbers show nothing now. A person could have had seven negative reputations (and some did!), and now they have a new slate.

I think i did pretty well at my unofficial job, or so i've been told. I don't like having to be so serious (and disgusted) at some of the new features on the site. New features are supposed to make it better... not detract from much of what makes (made?) this place great (a large part of which is saying what we want to say, especially if it is negative). Now we can't even identify the fucktards from the newbies... and some of the worst members to grace the forum actually have positive reputations now.

I'm neither a fan of dishonesty, nor of censorship... and those two words seem to cover everything about this new change.
(August 10, 2010 at 7:07 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: Indeed. It would also cause unfortunate neg repping wars, and those are just not needed.

I've managed to mend friendships with such, thank you very much your royal fruitiness. Shinylight would still despise me if it were not for those... and i would never have known about it if it were not for the negative rep feature.

Seriously... drop the mantra. It's all cozy on the surface... but the core of it will rip what is (was? Why am i even questioning these things guys...? Its because I am not alone in malcontent, and honestly believe something about the forum changed in my absence... and that something doesn't sound good) good in this forum to shreds.

edit: heck, after reconsidering, i think the thumbs down is a very good idea.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Staff Changes BrianSoddingBoru4 32 6292 November 23, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
Exclamation Forum Changes and Additions Fidel_Castronaut 14 6091 August 31, 2016 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Donation Changes Tiberius 84 9408 May 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Rule Changes + New Restrictions Tiberius 205 40920 November 29, 2013 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Preaching Rule Changes & Punishment Updates Tiberius 15 7369 October 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Forum Migration, Changes, and Other Stuff Tiberius 6 3160 February 27, 2012 at 4:28 am
Last Post: tackattack
  New Forum Changes Eilonnwy 0 1325 July 1, 2010 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Eilonnwy
  More Site Changes... Tiberius 5 2098 February 16, 2010 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Watson
  Site changes Tiberius 23 7335 January 27, 2010 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Changes and Feedback Tiberius 1 2562 May 20, 2009 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: g-mark