Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gang violence in the US
Gang violence in the US
Let me just start out by saying that I think mass shootings get a far disproportional amount of media coverage and a far disproportional amount of threads here on Atheist forums. Before the emotional argument comes out (which is will anyway) yes, it's a tragedy. Every life is precious and I am not dismissing the tragedy felt by the victims of mass shootings. However the people who make those arguments never seem to have proportional sadness. It's also not necessarily a gun control thread, but more about the media. Although I am certain it will go in that direction. I'm not really trying to make any point about guns, but more about the media and these forums and who gets people's grief and sadness.

Maybe it's because the victims of mass shootings tend to be middle class and white and therefore get more media coverage. I'm sure that people will say 'I care about both. However not enough to bring it up, apparently. In 2015, which was labeled 'the year of the mass shooting' there were ~180 homicide victims of mass shootings when you use the FBI definition of 4 or more people killed not including the shooter. If you go by the more liberal definition that was popularized on reddit recently of it being 4 or more shooting victims rather then homicides, then the number rises to a little over 200. Amazingly these statistics are not easily available and I literally had to count it myself off of the gun violence archive. http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/report...15?page=12

That same year, by the most conservative of FBI estimates there were 2,363 gang related homicides, well over 10 times the number of mass shootings victims, around 20% of total homicides in the US (sometimes you see a 80% stat, but as far as I can tell, that isn't backed up by anything.) Also I didn't separate the mass shootings that were gang related, so it's possible that there is cross over that is unaccounted for. Where as mass shootings in the worst year of mass shootings is around 1% of total homicides. Where is the media outrage, where are the threads on here? Are people desensitized, don't empathized because they can't relate, or are they just unaware?
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/201...9-2013.xls
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Gang violence in the US
Since we haven't got that kind of violence in most parts of Europe, apart from certain regions, it's hard to take note. Homicides in the US, quite naturally, don't get any media coverage. Well, unless it's a juicy one. Such as toddler shooting mom or toddler shooting other toddler. Not even serial killers get any coverage.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Bringing up gang violence is definitely categorized as a micro-aggresion, if not worse.

Be ashamed.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Jesus fucking christ, I'm dripping with sarcasm today.

My goodness gracious.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

A few years ago, I was living in the "worst part" of town, which no one actually thought of as bad, but some elements moved in temporarily and brought gang violence with them. One afternoon, I wasn't able to get to my front door because there had been a fatal stabbing right outside my house, then, a couple of weeks later, three kids were shot down in an initiation, and then a guy, in another initiation, was stabbed outside of a pretty decent local bar. Then, a good friend and neighbor was attacked by a couple of thugs, one of whom, with a skateboard, smashed the windshield of the car of my at-the-time boyfriend during the scuffle.

I remember scouring the local news, looking for any extra information outside of rumors and gossip around the neighborhood, to no avail, and then all of a sudden, as quickly as it began, the violence stopped. Apparently, the scary gang members had been kicked out of the house they were renting- but I only learned that information from the rumor mill; not the press. So strange.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(July 26, 2016 at 1:48 pm)The_Empress Wrote: A few years ago, I was living in the "worst part" of town, which no one actually thought of as bad, but some elements moved in temporarily and brought gang violence with them. One afternoon, I wasn't able to get to my front door because there had been a fatal stabbing right outside my house, then, a couple of weeks later, three kids were shot down in an initiation, and then a guy, in another initiation, was stabbed outside of a pretty decent local bar. Then, a good friend and neighbor was attacked by a couple of thugs, one of whom, with a skateboard, smashed the windshield of the car of my at-the-time boyfriend during the scuffle.

I remember scouring the local news, looking for any extra information outside of rumors and gossip around the neighborhood, to no avail, and then all of a sudden, as quickly as it began, the violence stopped. Apparently, the scary gang members had been kicked out of the house they were renting- but I only learned that information from the rumor mill; not the press. So strange.

I've also lived in neighborhoods with gangs, I've seen things that if they happened in middle class white neighborhoods would be all over the local news. Are people desensitized or is it a subtle form of racism/classism?
It might help that one is a wedge issue, whereas the other is uniformly hammered by every candidate on both sides.  They're all "tough on crime" and don't give a shit about a gangster.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 26, 2016 at 1:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It might help that one is a wedge issue, whereas the other is uniformly hammered by every candidate on both sides.  They're all "tough on crime" and don't give a shit about a gangster.

Well sure, but why do you never hear about it on Atheist forums? Every mass shooting has a thread it seems like.
(July 26, 2016 at 1:58 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Well sure, but why do you never hear about it on Atheist forums? Every mass shooting has a thread it seems like.

Quite frankly, probably because the general public isn't concerned. Gangster shooting gangster usually leaves them out of the equation. They don't target the public. It happens that they got involved, but that's not by design, but for lack of a better word, by accident.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I was offering that up as -part- of the reason.  Most of us here probably don't live in the ghetto.  Our news coverage went through its gangland voyeurism addiction years ago, so we are desensitized and it won;t pull in the ratings, and gun control pro/con is harped upon by candidates who essentially hand marching orders to increasingly partisan media outlets...with mass shootings of a relatable and therefor exploitable group of victims the focus.

"Look, they're killing us now!"
R-We all need guns!
D-Ban Guns!
R-See, that D over there hates america, vote for me.
D-See, that R over there hates children, vote for me.

They get their votes, networks get their ratings, we get our infotainment...everyones happy. Why interrupt that with some shit about the drug war?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The terrorism and violence perpetrated by the Uyghurs preceding the "training camps" Duty 10 1182 December 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3379 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Blue Story: Cinema chains pull gang film after 'machete' brawl Duty 57 4541 November 27, 2019 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Facebook selectively condones inciting violence robvalue 8 1001 July 15, 2019 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: A Godzilla fan
  Violence in prison does not help. Brian37 1 481 April 29, 2019 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Maybe don't be a gang leader? Brian37 13 1715 March 17, 2019 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Italy crime: Gang rips open security van with diggers near Bari Duty 7 694 January 14, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Trump shifts blame to violent video games, movies in gun violence discussion notimportant1234 41 4152 February 23, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  US Gun Violence Victims Harassed by Conspiracy Theorists Seraphina 15 2402 December 3, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  White Supremicists Were Ready For Violence The Grand Nudger 15 1873 December 2, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Amarok