Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The terrorism and violence perpetrated by the Uyghurs preceding the "training camps"
The terrorism and violence perpetrated by the Uyghurs preceding the "training camps"
I just watched a documentary series on the BBC about Xi Jinping and modern China. I was surprised to learn that there had in fact been acts of terrorism and beatings/killings of many Han Chinese by Uyghur muslims and that is the reason Xi set up the....er..."atheist conversion" camps. The documentary was very partisan in its condemnation of Xi and China yet at least exposed these acts of racist/intolerant/fundy violence perpetrated by Uyghurs. 

I must confess I had no idea about any of them before, and just thought the "re-education" camps were brought about "out of the blue" as it were, and I read the "news" every day. Bias, thy name is (most) media.

Thoughts?
RE: The terrorism and violence perpetrated by the Uyghurs preceding the "training camps"
(December 6, 2022 at 6:35 am)Duty Wrote: I was surprised to learn that there had in fact been acts of terrorism and beatings/killings of many Han Chinese by Uyghur muslims and that is the reason Xi set up the....er..."atheist conversion" camps.

They are "communism conversion camps" where people are taught to worship the communist leader as a perfect human and the communist party as infallible. Communists persecute people when they feel that someone has disrespected their ideology of communism or has doubted the divinity of their leader.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: The terrorism and violence perpetrated by the Uyghurs preceding the "training camps"
(December 6, 2022 at 7:24 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(December 6, 2022 at 6:35 am)Duty Wrote: I was surprised to learn that there had in fact been acts of terrorism and beatings/killings of many Han Chinese by Uyghur muslims and that is the reason Xi set up the....er..."atheist conversion" camps.

They are "communism conversion camps" where people are taught to worship the communist leader as a perfect human and the communist party as infallible. Communists persecute people when they feel that someone has disrespected their ideology of communism or has doubted the divinity of their leader.

I think your confusing China with North Korea. There are as many different forms of communism as there are nominally communist states - profoundly different, in other words.

My interpretation of communism is simple -"we're all brothers and sisters, comrades, lets help eachother out!" as contrasted with the central message of democratic liberal capitalism which is "look out for number one, follow your dream (which is of course to make as much money as possible Dodgy ) and beat your neighbours at everything you can! There can be only ONE and each man for himself!"
(December 6, 2022 at 8:47 am)Duty Wrote: I think your confusing China with North Korea. There are as many different forms of communism as there are nominally communist states - profoundly different, in other words.

Chinese people have to worship their president and even make pilgrimages to holy sites, like the house he was born. Needless to say that they are not allowed to question him and he has positioned himself to be their ruler for life. He is constantly policing everyone to see what they are thinking.

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(December 6, 2022 at 9:18 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(December 6, 2022 at 8:47 am)Duty Wrote: I think your confusing China with North Korea. There are as many different forms of communism as there are nominally communist states - profoundly different, in other words.

Chinese people have to worship their president and even make pilgrimages to holy sites, like the house he was born. Needless to say that they are not allowed to question him and he has positioned himself to be their ruler for life. He is constantly policing everyone to see what they are thinking.

That video says some people CHOOSE to visit his childhood residence - that is all. There is no mention or evidence of enforced "worship" or anything of the kind. The "personality cult" theory is also without evidence - yes he is popular and idolised in many Chinese but then again how is that wrong? Perhaps it speaks volumes of the superior "brotherly" nature of communism that a titular head is roundly loved in society, rather than loathed by vaste swathes, as is the case in "each man for himself" dog eat dog capitalist democracies. 

I also particularly like the part where the (American) "reporter" gleens that Xi's zero COVID policy shows he doesn't care about peoples' health when clearly the polar opposite is true. I mean for fuck's sake, put down the koolaid darling   Hehe
Some people visit his childhood home? They said it was like Disneyland.
You also obviously missed the part where they say how it is impossible for anyone inside of China to criticize him although something like 60% of people lives in poverty. That is why they go to New Jersey, to visit a Chinese guy who criticized him and had to escape from China. Or when they talk about his cult of personality and show giant statues of him.

(December 6, 2022 at 10:03 am)Duty Wrote: There is no mention or evidence of enforced "worship" or anything of the kind. The "personality cult" theory is also without evidence -

No evidence? Then show me one newspaper or even an article from China that criticizes the president. Or go to China and start yelling on the street "President of China sucks", or just flip a middle finger to one of his many gigantic statues and see what happens to you.
The Uyghurs had/have a bog standard islamist problem. Chinas reaction is unlikely to make that better.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
A benolavent "dictatorship" in it for LIFE - far superior to an uneducated ignorant populist vote electing George BW/Donald T/Boris J ad infinitum, IMO
(December 6, 2022 at 4:53 pm)Duty Wrote: A benolavent "dictatorship" in it for LIFE - far superior to an uneducated ignorant populist vote electing George BW/Donald T/Boris J ad infinitum, IMO

Why would it be benevolent, and what happens if it does things that harm you?  What redress do you have?

Government is power.  Without a way of "throwing the bums out", government will be be captured by those who want power for their own purposes - and their purposes likely do not align with yours.
(December 6, 2022 at 6:35 am)Duty Wrote: I just watched a documentary series on the BBC about Xi Jinping and modern China. I was surprised to learn that there had in fact been acts of terrorism and beatings/killings of many Han Chinese by Uyghur muslims and that is the reason Xi set up the....er..."atheist conversion" camps. The documentary was very partisan in its condemnation of Xi and China yet at least exposed these acts of racist/intolerant/fundy violence perpetrated by Uyghurs. 

I must confess I had no idea about any of them before, and just thought the "re-education" camps were brought about "out of the blue" as it were, and I read the "news" every day. Bias, thy name is (most) media.

Thoughts?

Collective punishment is unjustified in any circumstance, just as it was in 1942 when we Americans rounded up a few hundred thousand Nisei and incarcerated them for the duration due to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] American Congress member speaks about Israeli terrorism against Palestinians WinterHold 5 377 May 14, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3437 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  UK Police officer gets stuck in handcuffs in training zebo-the-fat 10 989 August 19, 2020 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Facebook selectively condones inciting violence robvalue 8 1006 July 15, 2019 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: A Godzilla fan
  Violence in prison does not help. Brian37 1 483 April 29, 2019 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Trump shifts blame to violent video games, movies in gun violence discussion notimportant1234 41 4155 February 23, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  US Gun Violence Victims Harassed by Conspiracy Theorists Seraphina 15 2416 December 3, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  White Supremicists Were Ready For Violence The Grand Nudger 15 1890 December 2, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Gun violence/Media & the word "motive"OP/ED Brian37 29 7651 June 14, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  While everyone is busy with overseas violence. Brian37 5 1498 April 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist