Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theistic evolution
Theistic evolution
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

This is the first I heard of it.

1. Doesn't it undermine the logic of the bible accepting that God created evolution when in all the fricken religious texts it says nothing about a God using evolution?

2. Doesn't this feel like religious people are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole when trying to accept and/or explain certain sciences through their doctrines?

3. Who can live with such a psychological dichotomy in their heads!? I rather keep my sanity and choose either the evidence of the bible or the evidence shown through nature instead of a forced unification of these two.
[Image: tumblr_nvrbfbDXgM1u0bifgo1_400.jpg]
RE: Theistic evolution
Agree Kit. But the plate still needs to go around.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If the course of evolution is actively steered by God e.g. in order to make certain species such as humans, evolution loses its explanatory power and is simply arbitrary magic.
If God only indirectly influences evolution by setting up the initial conditions such that everything comes out precisely as HE intended, one has still a valid scientific theory to which God is a pretty useless addition.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If you think it needs any active direction, then you don't understand it.

If you're going to resort to magic, then any sort of evolution is just God pissing about instead of making what he wants in the first place.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If Theistic evolution were a dance, instead of being an elegant-precise-beautiful waltz movement, it would be the gator. The dance equivalent to a tonic/clonic seizure.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
With respect to the OP, the idea of theistic evolution seems odd. The whole point of evolution is to explain speciation in terms of purely mechanical processes that do not require outside intervention. I pretty much agree with that, so even as a believer I do not see how adding God to the mix accomplishes anything.

This may not be directly related to the OP. This paper contrasts Intelligent Design with a Thomistic approach to evolution. It may shed some likght on how some believers, like me, reconcile evolution and religious faith:

https://biologos.org/uploads/projects/be..._essay.pdf
It's clear creationist's arguments against evolution have evolved over the years.
Yet having the tenets of a religion evolve seems to me like another craven ploy to avoid the obvious:

the religion is false, and hammering it after the fact to fit new discoveries falsifies the religion, it doesn't rehabilitate it.

If it was of an omniscient deity it would have been correct in the first place.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

This is the way Catholics, Anglicans and the vast majority of European christians see it. Mostly they don't stop to consider that there could be an incompatibility, though given all the contradictions in the bible to start with this doesn't even register.
Literal creationism was dead in the late 19th century and revived by some loon from Colorado around the time of WWI, frankly how this zombified notion survived and grew to become the abomination it is now is the greater mystery.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
Aren't xtians fortunate that they have scientists to show how life evolved ...

They now just need to edit their bible

1 In the beginning natural events created the universe and then the earth.
7 And on the seventh day man created God/s
Religion is the top shelf of the supernatural supermarket ... Madog
[Image: 1833rn.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on Theistic Evolution GrandizerII 19 2503 October 23, 2018 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Theistic thoughts Foxaèr 3 919 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  We need more theistic activity Foxaèr 103 22838 May 7, 2018 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Theistic Inclinations Azu 218 52242 May 13, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  The Theistic Paradigm in a Nutshell Rhondazvous 15 3264 April 6, 2016 at 12:35 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Theistic evolution Christian 24 7054 October 24, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Theistic morality Foxaèr 64 21643 May 28, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: FilthyMeat
  Worst Theistic Argument Eilonnwy 60 27360 October 6, 2009 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: fr0d0