Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theistic morality
Theistic morality
Nothing ever done in service of God can ever be called sin.

Basically, any theist can commit a heinous act and make the claim that it was done in service of god in order to absolve himself of guilt. The theist, in essence, deludes himself into a state of morality.

Can a theist truly be so far gone that he genuinely believes his acts are moral, when in truth the acts are highly immoral? Or does the theist simply use god as a means to an end, knowing full well that his morality is driven more by personal inner turmoil than any real divinity or understanding of right from wrong?

How can a theist cause such obvious suffering to someone else and not realize it for what it is? Misrepresenting it as love or compassion is not reasonable.

If the theist regularly absolves himself of guilt, without comprehending that his actions are not moral just because he has attached the term god to it, then he is no better than a veritable sociopath. He lacks empathy, because he cannot sympathize with how the other person is suffering due to his immoral behavior and his immoral actions.

If theists were at all capable of feeling real sympathy, not the fake feelings they profess, then there would be less suffering in the world.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Theistic morality
Such bullshit came right from the top, at Cleremont, 1095.

Quote:"All who die by the way, whether by land or by sea, or in battle against the pagans, shall have immediate remission of sins. This I grant them through the power of God with which I am invested. O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ! With what reproaches will the Lord overwhelm us if you do not aid those who, with us, profess the Christian religion! Let those who have been accustomed unjustly to wage private warfare against the faithful now go against the infidels and end with victory this war which should have been begun long ago. Let those who for a long time, have been robbers, now become knights. Let those who have been fighting against their brothers and relatives now fight in a proper way against the barbarians. Let those who have been serving as mercenaries for small pay now obtain the eternal reward. Let those who have been wearing themselves out in both body and soul now work for a double honor.

Pope Urban II
(May 20, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: Can a theist truly be so far gone that he genuinely believes his acts are moral, when in truth the acts are highly immoral?

Yes. A bunch of muslims thought they were doing the right thing when the flew planes into buildings. Suicide bombers think they are totally moral, sacrificing themselves for their god.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
The serial murderer explains his actions with, 'God told me to do this' and is roundly denounced by theists who insist that God would never incite someone to heinous acts of violence. Given Jehovah's long 'history' of doing just that, it makes me marvel at the disconnect some people are able to maintain without their skulls exploding from to cognitive dissonance overload.

Let us never forget that the WTC attacks, the London underground bombings and the Tokyo sarin attacks were all faith-based initiatives.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 20, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: Nothing ever done in service of God can ever be called sin.

Basically, any theist can commit a heinous act and make the claim that it was done in service of god in order to absolve himself of guilt. The theist, in essence, deludes himself into a state of morality.

Can a theist truly be so far gone that he genuinely believes his acts are moral, when in truth the acts are highly immoral? Or does the theist simply use god as a means to an end, knowing full well that his morality is driven more by personal inner turmoil than any real divinity or understanding of right from wrong?

How can a theist cause such obvious suffering to someone else and not realize it for what it is? Misrepresenting it as love or compassion is not reasonable.

If the theist regularly absolves himself of guilt, without comprehending that his actions are not moral just because he has attached the term god to it, then he is no better than a veritable sociopath. He lacks empathy, because he cannot sympathize with how the other person is suffering due to his immoral behavior and his immoral actions.

If theists were at all capable of feeling real sympathy, not the fake feelings they profess, then there would be less suffering in the world.

lmao

if a rapist does the crime in the name of god it is a sin none the less big feller. There would be less suffering if we removed any large group of people. Lets say ... russia.

some pea seeds stay pea seeds.
(May 20, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: Nothing ever done in service of God can ever be called sin.

It makes no sense to say that he "deludes himself into a state of morality" unless you can prove that objective morality exists and he's in violation of it.

(May 20, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: If theists were at all capable of feeling real sympathy, not the fake feelings they profess, then there would be less suffering in the world.
Sure. Same with atheists. Lots of people here talk about suffering, yet also talk about booze and drugs. If they really cared about the suffering, they'd take the time and money devoted to getting high and give it to those who are suffering.
Theistic morality
So why doesn't AM spend his meth budget on people who are suffering?
Ah but many of us suffer without alcohol so spending money on it is ok.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(May 20, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: Can a theist truly be so far gone that he genuinely believes his acts are moral, when in truth the acts are highly immoral?
That's something of a loaded question, even if we avoid the question of absolute morals. If we accept that moral behavior can be conditional, then it gets even trickier, and atheists seem more inclined to accept that proposition in a general sense.

I do think that the more important point is that for the theist, the moral code can be reduced to "what god commands." There may not be an act that is inherently moral or immoral (or good/bad, or right/wrong). It is entirely dependent on whether god commands you to do it, or commands you not to. In that sense, any action can be moral or immoral. But aside from mental problems, they can't really just pick a particular action and say "yeah, this is what god wants me to do."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

This is dead on correct. It is possible, to believe you are moral with God while doing immoral things. My abuser was such. He even had me believe he was moral, too. In the end, he is indeed just a psychopath sociopath. Religion draws in these kinds of people.
To this day I guarantee this person believes they are sinless. History shows differently.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33160 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Question on Theistic Evolution GrandizerII 19 2550 October 23, 2018 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Theistic thoughts Foxaèr 3 923 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  We need more theistic activity Foxaèr 103 22985 May 7, 2018 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3394 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Theistic Inclinations Azu 218 52968 May 13, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Theistic evolution maestroanth 16 4385 July 28, 2016 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Theistic Paradigm in a Nutshell Rhondazvous 15 3321 April 6, 2016 at 12:35 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 31060 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Morality quiz, and objective moralities robvalue 14 4494 January 31, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: robvalue