Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Worst Theistic Argument
Worst Theistic Argument
We have a worst atheistic argument thread, thought it might be good to turn the tables. What do you think is the worst theistic argument?

I personally think it's Pascal's wager, or variants of it such as "What if you're wrong?" which is simply an argument that ultimately threatens hell, and therefore you should believe.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Worst Theistic Argument
I completely agree. It's a terrible, terrible argument - it's hardly even an argument at all, it's all covered up with BS. It's basically a form of the Appeal to Emotion fallacy.

Ever since I knew of that argument, named as an argument! - as 'Pascal's Wager' I've thought it's the worse.

To those who think it's a real argument confuse the actual argument with how sophisticated the wording is in expressing it, IMO. When you get to what the argument actually is, it's all appeal to emotion basically. Not even a proper argument. Terrible.

EvF
[Image: circular-reasoning.png]
Enough said really.

Also, unrelated but I found this which is good:

[Image: CircularReasoning.gif]
I would be cool to have a shirt that nested the circular reasoning text within the God exists text...

Rhizo
It is cool indeed. Nice and bold on the back of the shirt yeah. Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
That's a great idea Rhiz.

Hehe, I forgot about that one Adrian.

But Pascal's Wager is also a non-argument, it just covers itself with BS to look professional, it's just appeal to emotion.

Both are shite but circular reasoning is more blatantly shite.

EvF
Pascal's Wager should be excluded from responses, since it would so unfairly win the contest hands down. In other words, the worst theistic argument other than Pascal's Wager.

My vote? The banana.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
If you yourself were a man of good moral conduct what do you have to fear of the existence of heaven or hell anyway? I say who cares of Pascal's gambit. I'm not about to give up my Sunday mornings studying for my education in order to plea God for mercy.
(September 21, 2009 at 5:17 am)Arcanus Wrote: Pascal's Wager should be excluded from responses, since it would so unfairly win the contest hands down. In other words, the worst theistic argument other than Pascal's Wager.

My vote? The banana.

XD I couldn't agree more.

I think in general, anything that spews from Ray Comfort's mouth is a bad argument.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Arcanus,

I loved the serious way Mr. Comfort explained that insane idea.

Guerilla Radio,

It is my opinion that if there is a god it is more likely not to differentiate between our actions due to how insignificant they are from an immanent point of view. After all, when you view an anthill or a swarm of bees can you tell which ones are acting morally? Granted we can't read their minds, answer their prayers, or manifest as one of them. That would be cool though.

Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on Theistic Evolution GrandizerII 19 2523 October 23, 2018 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Abrahamic roots of racism, which one is worst Sammin 2 1162 October 6, 2018 at 10:09 am
Last Post: brewer
  Theistic thoughts Foxaèr 3 920 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  We need more theistic activity Foxaèr 103 22933 May 7, 2018 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Theistic Inclinations Azu 218 52851 May 13, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Theistic evolution maestroanth 16 4373 July 28, 2016 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Theistic Paradigm in a Nutshell Rhondazvous 15 3314 April 6, 2016 at 12:35 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Could this be the worst argument for a deity yet? ReptilianPeon 15 5148 July 4, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Theistic evolution Christian 24 7066 October 24, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Theistic morality Foxaèr 64 21797 May 28, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: FilthyMeat