Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Intro
My Intro
I am an artist, writer, photographer, former Peace Corps Volunteer, and retired educator.  I'm 70 (as I write this at the beginning of Aug 2016), female, and an atheist. 

I started to doubt my parents' strict Protestant religious beliefs when I was about 11 or 12. I was forced to sing in the choir, attend Sunday school and church, be confirmed, attend youth group, Bible study, vacation Bible school and church camp. Besides reading a chapter of the Bible before dinner every night, my family sat down to pray before we went on long drives or trips.  My father put reflective tape on our car's bumper in the shape of crosses ---a sure-fire protection against auto accidents.  Both parents were Sunday school teachers and my father was a church organist whose answer to everything was to "pray about it." Besides being unable to find sense in what I was taught about religion, I often say I was "all-churched-out" by the time I graduated from high school. 

I had altruistic motives for joining the Peace Corps and did my best to make a difference at my Peace Corps site. However, I was also running away from home. College had opened my eyes to people and ideas that dismayed my parents. Although I never "came out" of the atheistic closet to my parents, by that time I had rejected many of my parents beliefs about everything, including religion. They wanted me to live at home so they could rein me back into their fold. I chose to live as far from home as possible.

Although I was about 25 before the women's movement was in full swing, even as a child I was rather independent. I see that independent streak in other non-believers, especially those who came from religious families. It makes sense that conformists would accept their family's religion without question or return to it after a period of doubt. More independent personalities aren't afraid to deviate from the family norm. I was the black-sheep of my family, often butting heads with what seemed silly or "just not right" to me.  I seemed to have had a heightened "radar" for BS that I still have today. 

One of my favorite authors is Mark Twain and I love the many things he had to say about religion.  One of my favorites is:
“Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven.”
The problem with those who choose received Authority over fact and logic is how they choose which part of Authority to obey. The Bible famously contradicts itself at many points (I have never understood why any Christian would choose the Old Testament over the New), and the Koran can be read as a wonderfully compassionate and humanistic document. Which suggests that the problem of fundamentalism lies not with authority, but with ourselves.” ~Molly Ivins
RE: My Intro
Welcome.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome aboard.
Jesus.  You're even older than me (67.)

Welcome aboard.

[Image: productimage-picture-old_farts_club_char...ber-43.gif]

We used to have a secret handshake but everyone forgot what it was.
Welcome! It was interesting to hear your story. I will enjoy getting to know you on the boards.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Welcome aboard
Dying to live, living to die.
Hi there, welcome to AF Smile
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(August 2, 2016 at 6:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Jesus.  You're even older than me (67.)

Welcome aboard.

That's not what I shake.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 2, 2016 at 7:16 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(August 2, 2016 at 6:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Jesus.  You're even older than me (67.)

Welcome aboard.

That's not what I shake.

Which is why we call the police.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intro DocIllinois 14 1199 August 6, 2021 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belated intro Dom 20 1731 September 29, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Intro Reltzik 21 997 September 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Intro Bow Before Zeus 15 1879 November 14, 2017 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  intro JamieBra 28 5153 September 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  MY INTRO rjh4 is back 7 1312 August 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Intro Court Jester 25 4982 June 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: KerimF
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 3862 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  intro Otisknows 17 2428 February 6, 2017 at 12:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Slightly Generic and Dramatic Intro Thread Redoubtable 16 3350 February 5, 2017 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Otisknows