Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Good article on fundamentalism
Good article on fundamentalism
It's from 2014, so some of you may have seen it already.  
But it describes my upbringing SO well.  The list (which I will hide because it is long) describes this group, as it exists today, precisely.
=======
The Lies Christian Fundamentalism Taught Me
May 12, 2014 by Christy Caine, head admin and primary commenter/responder on the Unfundamentalist Christians Facebook page.

I was raised a fundamentalist Christian. Here is some of what we were taught, both explicitly and in a million different little ways, every single day of our lives:

Those are lies. And they are deeply damaging.
And if you are unfortunate enough to be raised a Christian fundamentalist, you have no choice but to believe those lies until, because you are very lucky and/or very strong, you break free from the controlling, brainwashing environment in which you and your family exist. Yours is a world in which not only all outsiders, but all television, music, movies and books are shunned. So what you are taught is literally the only truth you know.
And that is why, as toxic and harmful as they can certainly be, whenever I deal with Christian fundamentalists I bear in mind Jesus’ “Forgive them, Lord, for they know not what they do.” Because I know how true that is.
=======
-- And this woman is still a Christian.  I can kind of understand it.  After I realized that the fundies were completely wack, I still wanted "church" for a while.  I still wanted there to be a benevolent god somewhere.  But I suppose I was one of the "lucky" ones that finally had to admit that the idea of god was just as absurd as the rest of the bullshit.  Partly because it doesn't make sense, and partly because . . . if there WAS a god, why does he allow his preachers and priests to be some of the most evil people on the planet?  And why do they all fight among themselves over who is worshiping the imaginary friend the right way?
    Fundamentalism is scary - can I get an AMEN, brothers and sistahs?     Rolleyes
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Good article on fundamentalism
Sick motherfuckers.
I don't understand how this/these institutions still exist. Like the Amish, do they shut out the entire world? Or is it like it sounds, beaten into submission (mental & physical) so you trust nobody but the people beating you, because at some point they stop and you've earned your reward?

Twisted Stockholm syndrome?

Side note: Tell us how the new job is please.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Those are the lucky kids. Other kids get raped systematically for years.
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
(August 4, 2016 at 3:32 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I don't understand how this/these institutions still exist. Like the Amish, do they shut out the entire world? Or is it like it sounds, beaten into submission (mental & physical) so you trust nobody but the people beating you, because at some point they stop and you've earned your reward?

Twisted Stockholm syndrome?

Side note: Tell us how the new job is please.

Yes, mh.  Beaten into submission AND shut away from the entire world (we were literally taught that everyone who didn't believe the way we did was evil - and TV was evil, radio was evil (except the xtian station), rock music was very evil, most of the books in the public library were evil . . . ) yes, the fundies often stay very separate.

You got out of being beaten by marrying someone who wouldn't beat you.  However, if you stayed in the church, a husband was expected to "discipline" his wife.  

I was lucky, I got to go to college.  Regular college. The church people who said that college was dangerous were right - college tends to expect people to THINK.  That's why these folks discourage their kids from going to college - and if they REALLY want a degree, there are a few xtian colleges that are approved.  Not only that, but most Fundamentalists aren't wealthy . . . 

I think that the fear of learning, the fear of the internet, the lack of technological knowledge is going to eventually be the undoing for these groups.

Oh! The new job is . . . a job. It's for a hardware store that is trying to launch a web-store. I put all the information for an item into a form that uploads it to the web. I'm grateful - I have a mortgage to pay! Thanks for asking.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
I'm a child of fundamentalism and yeah, it's damaging. Insane, even. The fact that they continue to peddle this paranoid bullshit in the 21st century is beyond belief.
A Gemma is forever.
There's fundamentalism, there's the belief in the flood and the tower of Babel and giants and 900 year olds fucking their daughters or whatever... and then there's our loveable huggy.

(August 4, 2016 at 4:57 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(August 4, 2016 at 3:35 pm)The_Empress Wrote: Wait... Eve had sex with the... ahem... serpent?
Again, I've been saying this since day one...

It appears someone wasn't paying attention.

I think huggy has grown up in a family as bad as the OP's.  Maybe this was his pastor:

[Image: 0316e64485.png]
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
(August 4, 2016 at 6:01 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote: There's fundamentalism, there's the belief in the flood and the tower of Babel and giants and 900 year olds fucking their daughters or whatever... and then there's our loveable huggy.

(August 4, 2016 at 4:57 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Again, I've been saying this since day one...

It appears someone wasn't paying attention.

I think huggy has grown up in a family as bad as the OP's.  Maybe this was his pastor:

[Image: 0316e64485.png]

Oh, no, no, no, sorry.  Huggy asserted that Eve had sex with the serpent.  That's not what the bible says.  The bible MUST be taken literally.  The bible says it was an apple.  I have heard Fundies actually get into an argument over whether the apple was green (Granny Smith) or red (Red Delicious).  God wrote "apple", but neglected to tell us which kind.  Perhaps we should avoid all apples?    Rolleyes
I heard it was a pomegranate. Noted abortifacient. Now that's one way to get the god out.

Wish Mary was on that diet.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment Whateverist 31 5204 March 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Good Article on David Fitzgerald's New Book Minimalist 1 1275 April 20, 2017 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Huffington post article today: "My Emancipation from American Christianity" drfuzzy 35 13482 December 6, 2015 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Not a bad article. Minimalist 9 2358 November 28, 2015 at 3:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Anti-Gay Pastor: Parents Must...(Article) Handprint 5 3487 May 2, 2012 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Article: "Why Are Young People Leaving Evangelical Christianity?" Ziploc Surprise 45 20008 February 29, 2012 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Why do atheists hate God?: An article Dissection Rev. Rye 30 10517 December 19, 2011 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: coffeeveritas