Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article: "Why Are Young People Leaving Evangelical Christianity?"
Article: "Why Are Young People Leaving Evangelical Christianity?"
The link is to the article "Why Are Young People Leaving Evangelical Christianity?" http://www.care2.com/causes/why-are-youn...anity.html

What do you think about it?
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Article: "Why Are Young People Leaving Evangelical Christianity?"
Someone may have broken rule number 1, and informed them of the contents of the kool-aid.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Despite the recent resurgence in the appearance of evangelical christianity, figures of authority no longer have the monopoly on the transferral of information.

Globalisation, Internet, Communications and Technology give people the access to information on an unprecedented level, far beyond anything worldwide society has ever known.

An awareness of different cultures, beliefs, opinions and news can only open the minds of those within tight restrictive belief systems. The tighter they hold the leash, the more the dog will pull on it.

In terms of survival, they chose the wrong route, instead of incorporating, they ostracised and stuck their heads in the sands. Authority ignorant of the wealth of information.

In my opinion, and perhaps my hope, is that the resurgence is not the birth of the movement, but its death throes of its inability to change.

Does the idea that there might be truth
Frighten you?
Does the idea that one afternoon
On Wiki-fucking-pedia might enlighten you
Frighten you?
Does the notion that there may not be a supernatural
So blow your hippy noodle
That you would rather just stand in the fog
Of your inability to Google?
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(February 26, 2012 at 8:29 pm)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Despite the recent resurgence in the appearance of evangelical christianity, figures of authority no longer have the monopoly on the transferral of information.

Globalisation, Internet, Communications and Technology give people the access to information on an unprecedented level, far beyond anything worldwide society has ever known.

An awareness of different cultures, beliefs, opinions and news can only open the minds of those within tight restrictive belief systems. The tighter they hold the leash, the more the dog will pull on it.

In terms of survival, they chose the wrong route, instead of incorporating, they ostracised and stuck their heads in the sands. Authority ignorant of the wealth of information.

In my opinion, and perhaps my hope, is that the resurgence is not the birth of the movement, but its death throes of its inability to change.

Does the idea that there might be truth
Frighten you?
Does the idea that one afternoon
On Wiki-fucking-pedia might enlighten you
Frighten you?
Does the notion that there may not be a supernatural
So blow your hippy noodle
That you would rather just stand in the fog
Of your inability to Google?

Thanks for the insight. I really don't know what to say about the article that isn't colored by my lack of information. I was born over 4 decades ago and am somewhat out of touch with this generation. It's hard to form any opinions about the article that isn't similar to the one's I had before. That's why I posted the article.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

I'm not sure what's worse, a person who has a fully formed belief in God that is at least within 3 standard deviations of the "norm" or a person with some kooky touchy feely notion of a god-like thing that is so untouchably flawed logically that no discussion gets much past "God exists". My brother has the latter belief and talking to him about his notion of god quickly makes me want to bang my head into a wall or his head. He says something illogical and I say, well that isn't logical and he says, "Yeah, right, god doesn't have to be logical!" um, ok, yeah, that makes everything SO much better! It is especially annoying when he goes on about what god wants him to do with his life. /facepalm

For me, I would much rather people adhere to an existant religion rather than make up a new one. Binning the whole concept would be the best choice though.
You know the pagan youth once drifted away from the true faith and into the cult of christianity. Maybe that's just how we roll?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 26, 2012 at 8:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: You know the pagan youth once drifted away from the true faith and into the cult of christianity. Maybe that's just how we roll?

I would like to think the drift from Christianity will be towards reason but I see too many people drift into pseudoscience, Alien cults, and other weird things to feel confident of this. People believe that herbal remedies work better than Medicines that are scientifically proven to work and are regulated by the government. People actually believe that vaccines cause autism and some other horrible things. Belief in UFO's is almost a cult. It seems that in the vacuum created by the absence of religion people just have to believe in something.

The vacuum was apparently in us before we found religion, since we used it to fill the damned thing in the first place. That our minds work well enough, and that's about it..is likely the culprit.
Perhaps they simply figured out that preachers were con artists?

It's been said before....

Quote:The truth is that Christian theology, like every other theology, is not only opposed to the scientific spirit; it is also opposed to all other attempts at rational thinking. Not by accident does Genesis 3 make the father of knowledge a serpent -- slimy, sneaking and abominable. Since the earliest days the church, as an organization, has thrown itself violently against every effort to liberate the body and mind of man. It has been, at all times and everywhere, the habitual and incorrigible defender of bad governments, bad laws, bad social theories, bad institutions. It was, for centuries, an apologist for slavery, as it was the apologist for the divine right of kings.
-- H L Mencken

Perhaps the younger generation is merely smart enough to comprehend?
Quote:Globalisation, Internet, Communications and Technology give people the access to information on an unprecedented level, far beyond anything worldwide society has ever known.

I suspect you are largely right. Rational thought and education are the enemies of facile/legalist religion and all other forms of superstition. Evangelical Christianity is all three.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 569 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism? FlatAssembler 17 1378 July 13, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1667 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The decline of evangelical Christians. Jehanne 48 6143 January 30, 2019 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A look into the mindset of an Evangelical Trumptard drfuzzy 10 1595 October 12, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  87% of Young Irish Vote for Abortion! Jehanne 43 3771 May 31, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Doonesbury Trashes Evangelical Hypocrites Minimalist 162 22373 May 7, 2018 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5455 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 65805 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20280 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU