Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment
Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment
Quote:A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/scienti...mentalism/

And how do we help those afflicted?
RE: Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment
I wonder if both of these are in fact caused by severe indoctrination. Being told "God did it" to everything from a very early age is bound to stunt curiosity and brain development; especially if any sort of questioning is actively dissuaded. More liberal parents will at least allow some sort of science and analysis into the equation, whereas fundamentalists will be building a suspicion of it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment
(March 17, 2018 at 3:42 pm)robvalue Wrote: I wonder if both of these are in fact caused by severe indoctrination. Being told "God did it" to everything from a very early age is bound to stunt curiosity and brain development; especially if any sort of questioning is actively dissuaded. More liberal parents will at least allow some sort of science and analysis into the equation, whereas fundamentalists will be building a suspicion of it.

That seems likely to me as well. Indoctrination serves as a thought limiter much as binding the feet was a growth limiter for another kind of deformity.
How we help them, I'm not sure. On a generational level, trying to educate people and show them the value of asking questions will hopefully lead to less ruthless parenting eventually.

Once it's already happened, I think it's really hard to do very much for an individual. I reckon each new generation is less and less impressed with the backwards and bigoted world views though, and the internet makes it harder to keep people in a bubble. Given time, I think it will only be force that keeps fundamentalism going. They're dying out and being replaced by lesser numbers, in places where you can't go around killing people for disagreeing at least.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Showing belief they can change and that they can research and that they can override whatever state of mind they are in. Make no calculations on whether they would or won't, because no being knows that.
I'd think that this would extend to more than just rigid religious beliefs and include any kind of inflexible system of beliefs. One example would be the military. Racism might also fit.

Edit: Understand that they only looked at trauma induced changes.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 17, 2018 at 6:58 am)Whateverist Wrote:
Quote:A study published in the journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/scienti...mentalism/

And how do we help those afflicted?

Describes me.  I was practically just a little above brain death in some reasoning areas of my life and was part of the evangelical Christian fundamentalist "mainstream" for over 3 decades of my life.

The Internet liberated me, YouTube videos, especially.  The Carroll/Craig debate from 2014 was especially a liberating experience.
@OP
Moot point.  Impaired brains sometimes happen upon truth. They don't need help.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm with Jehanne.  I was raised Pentecostal and called myself xtian until into my 40's.

The fear of hell was ingrained into my system at an early age, along with the idea that one would be punished for doubting.  If you doubted and questioned what you were told, then you probably weren't a true christian.  Children indoctrinated in this way almost certainly lag behind in critical thinking skills.  It has also been shown that they are more punitive and judgmental toward their peers, and intolerant of anyone who is not a member of their specific religious group.

But education and true searching (I found science and comparative religion and history to be most helpful - along with actually READING the Bible without thinking that it is special) can break the programming, I'm living proof.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
You and I are poor anecdotal evidence that parallel universes are true.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mental gymnastics from the brain-eating religion FredTheLobster 13 1521 June 28, 2021 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Frank Apisa
  I don't believe in Christianity primarily because of the brain SerenelyBlue 111 12718 September 20, 2016 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Good article on fundamentalism drfuzzy 8 1202 August 4, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 7681 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich
  Christianity and its effect on self-worth Strider 210 23468 January 8, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Liberals cause earthquake... Jacob(smooth) 28 5581 September 3, 2014 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Did Christianity Cause The Dark Ages In Europe? Xavier 13 11230 December 11, 2011 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Girl prays to CAUSE Japanese earthquake HeyItsZeus 31 10121 March 19, 2011 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: the6dead
  The mind brain connection Captain Scarlet 28 7139 August 17, 2010 at 5:38 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet