Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian state (ACT) passes blasphemy law to protect Muslims
Australian state (ACT) passes blasphemy law to protect Muslims
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlBAeaViTQc
RE: Australian state (ACT) passes blasphemy law to protect Muslims
Does this guy know the difference between criticising Islam and being prejudiced against Muslims?

This guy denies Islamophobia is real? Yeah, nah, can't take him, or you, seriously.
The video is largely incorrect. The anti-vilification (NOT anti-criticism) laws specifically says in part that you may not discriminate against or vilify someone based on disability, religion, race, sexuality, gender identity, and HIV/AIDS status. There isn't anything in the law that says you can't criticize a Muslim or criticize Islam in general. Vilification, under the law, means that you cannot take actions (yes, including speech) that would '...incite hatred, contempt, ridicule or revulsion'.

It isn't a perfect law, certainly, but it in no wise criminalizes criticism of religion.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Idiotic laws. This is basically limiting free speech for no good reason whatsoever. This thing will bite them in the ass sooner or later.
The 'good reason' you claim doesn't exist is to protect certain groups (not all of them religious) against discrimination and vilification. Would you prefer the law read something like, 'No one may be vilified in Australia except for Muslims'?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'd prefer there wasn't such a law to begin with, no matter what groups it might protect. That's limiting free speech. And that can only be acceptable in the most extreme of cases.
(August 14, 2016 at 6:07 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The video is largely incorrect.  The anti-vilification (NOT anti-criticism) laws specifically says in part that you may not discriminate against or vilify someone based on disability, religion, race, sexuality, gender identity, and HIV/AIDS status.  There isn't anything in the law that says you can't criticize a Muslim or criticize Islam in general.  Vilification, under the law, means that you cannot take actions (yes, including speech) that would '...incite hatred, contempt, ridicule or revulsion'.

It isn't a perfect law, certainly, but it in no wise criminalizes criticism of religion.

Boru

Yep, and the OP is incorrect claiming the ACT is a state, which it isn't.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(August 14, 2016 at 6:49 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: I'd prefer there wasn't such a law to begin with, no matter what groups it might protect. That's limiting free speech. And that can only be acceptable in the most extreme of cases.

Horseshit. ALL freedoms are limited, of necessity. As a test, which of the following statements do you think should be protected speech?

1. All you fucking mud niggers should go back to Africa.

2. You have HIV? Serves you right, faggot.

3. So, Hafez - fucked your 12 year old daughter lately? If it was good enough for Mohammed, it should be good enough for you.

4. You know, gimpy - you might not be in that wheelchair if your mother hadn't fucked your brother.

I await your reply with something approaching boredom.

Boru
All of them.

When I said the the most extreme of cases, I was thinking information regarding a possible terrorist attack that might impede an investigation being broadcasted on social media during an actual terrorist attack. In a case like that, limiting free speech would be a good thing.
(August 14, 2016 at 7:02 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: All of them.

When I said the the most extreme of cases, I was thinking information regarding a possible terrorist attack that might impede an investigation being broadcasted on social media during an actual terrorist attack. In a case like that, limiting free speech would be a good thing.

Really? You support people calling HIV/AIDS patients 'faggots', and telling them that they deserve what's happened to them?

You must be a thoroughly unpleasant person in RL.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MA publishes database of law enforcement disciplinary actions Nanny 0 418 August 22, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  California about to be the first state to administer reparations!s Huggy Bear 77 3821 April 3, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Will leaving the state work in Texas brewer 19 921 July 13, 2021 at 6:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  GOP chooses to protect former guy and big lie. Brian37 11 809 June 1, 2021 at 6:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Break any law if it’s for Jesus Fake Messiah 0 143 March 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3437 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Guns banned in Michigan State Capitol. onlinebiker 52 3002 January 13, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Intimidation and defamation. Last desperate act. Brian37 16 1700 January 4, 2021 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The barberity of Australian soldiers in Afghanistan catched on camera WinterHold 58 3245 December 8, 2020 at 4:39 am
Last Post: no one
  BREAKING: Muslims confronting ISIS terrorist and save Austrian Wounded Cop. WinterHold 18 1253 November 5, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah