Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Struggling at work.
Struggling at work.
People are always calling out.

I never call out.

What happens?

When someone calls out, those of us who are available there to work have to compensate for those who are not there.

We are not getting paid more to do our job plus an extra person's job. No, the company expects that we should just willlingly cover that job, doing more work than one person should handle.

Here I am, going out of my mind.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Struggling at work.
"Please consider allowable sick days and personal leave of absence as part of your overall compensation package".  

You should start, they do (both the company and your coworkers), lol. Just the way it is though sometimes, aint it? Not sure there's much you can do. Find humor in it I guess.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 18, 2016 at 2:31 am)Rhythm Wrote:

Not sure there's much you can do.  Find humor in it I guess.

[Image: OjP2Bd3.jpg]
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(August 18, 2016 at 2:24 am)Maelstrom Wrote: People are always calling out.
Are you saying that people are abusing sick leave or are you having trouble with people who have authentic reasons for absence?

Quote:I never call out.
Then you might not be taking care of yourself properly! Do you work through sickness or are you just lucky enough to almost never fall ill?

Quote:What happens?

When someone calls out, those of us who are available there to work have to compensate for those who are not there.
As a Business Analyst, I can tell you that it's common for companies to fail to address this situation properly. It stems from the erroneous belief that people are a resource cost to be minimised and not an investment who's return should be maximised. Resource capacity calculations (how many people you need to do the work) should cater for the entire process, including allowances for sickness, holiday, family leave etc. or else business demands can't be met. Expert analysis demonstrates that companies who restrict leave, through 'command & control' style absence management, have a worse business performance than those who fully capacitise for and progressively manage absence. What's happening to you is that your bosses are letting you down, not those who are taking leave (unless they're pulling sickies but even that might be a symptom of poor resource planing).

Quote:We are not getting paid more to do our job plus an extra person's job.  No, the company expects that we should just willlingly cover that job, doing more work than one person should handle.
And that's exactly how I'd expect you to feel given your boss' failure.

Quote:Here I am, going out of my mind.
You could raise an issue, asking for more people to be brought in. It depends on your relationship with management and how you think they'd react to constructive criticism. Since you feel so strongly about this, doing nothing will probably make you feel worse.
Sum ergo sum
I call out plenty of times. Sometimes the weather is too beautiful outside, or i want to spend more time training at the gym, or i have a trip planned and my vacation days are used up. I'm pretty sure my co-workers do the same. Yes, i have to do double the work. It can be annoying at times but overall i don't have a problem with it.
(August 18, 2016 at 2:24 am)Maelstrom Wrote: People are always calling out.

I never call out.

What happens?

We are not getting paid more to do our job plus an extra person's job.  No, the company expects that we should just willlingly cover that job, doing more work than one person should handle.

Here I am, going out of my mind.

I feel you and can totally relate. We had three students call out at school tonight. In Pre-salon, it's all about you. You can call off from school and it's not going to affect anyone but yourself. However, on the Senior salon side, we take actual clients. When a student calls out or fails to show, it can throw everything else out of kilter. All three of those students that did not come in last night, put everyone else on double duty because we also accept walk-in clients. So not only did some of us have to take two clients at once because of an accidental double booking, we also had to cover and take care of the clients who had actual appointments with the students that didn't show. 

It can be very frustrating, depending upon the field of work one is in, when this happens. As a student, we aren't getting paid with anything but experience to be at school. Tips are nice, but they aren't required of a client because they know we are are here to learn. WE pay to GO to school. Not only is the missing student putting everyone else on the team in a bad way, but the student is denying themselves an education that they are paying for. 

Last night, while my 1st client was processing hair lightener, I took on a walk-in who wanted a clipper cut. I managed to get him in and out of a second chair in less than 20 minutes and he left me a tip. However, because my 1st client's hair was taking forever to do its thing, instead of getting out of school at 9:30pm, I didn't get out until 11pm. We had several students "double up" because of the absent students. 

Sometimes the problem with speaking to management about the absences and having to do more than one is paid to do, can lead to termination of the complainant's job. This is true especially in a state where there are "at will" employment laws. I happen to live in such a state. It sucks, but if I'm left having to do another stylist's clients because that stylist calls off, then complaining is only going to get me unemployed.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nobody wants to work anymore Foxaèr 92 6315 October 29, 2021 at 11:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can't get the link to work here but. Brian37 21 1381 July 29, 2021 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: no one
  Any photographers in Louisiana looking for work? popeyespappy 0 535 September 21, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Why Did Dante Title His Work The Divine Comedy? Rhondazvous 10 3223 August 30, 2017 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Work From Home Water Cooler Thread Shell B 43 4446 July 24, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  How do hashtags work? Foxaèr 6 1653 June 17, 2017 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Acquaintances that want your work for free J a c k 35 3997 March 11, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Bored at work Expired 7 1602 November 16, 2016 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Expired
  Why are women such hard work? Expired 72 9481 August 7, 2016 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Starting work on making a PIP Boy dyresand 4 1167 November 19, 2015 at 10:04 am
Last Post: dyresand