Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tillman Story
The Tillman Story
There's a new movie coming out about the Tillman cover up. For those who don't know, Pat Tillman was killed in friendly fire in overseas. The government decided to cover it up, but eventually the truth came out. Pat Tillman is notable not only for giving up a football career to go into the army, but for being an outspoken atheist. His brother at his funeral stated, and I'm paraphrasing, "Pat would have wanted me to say this, he was an atheist, and he's fucking dead. He's not with god."

Link to a preview here: http://link.brightcove.com/services/play...7904205001

Here is an article discussing the movie: http://www.alternet.org/world/147861/the...the_truth/
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: The Tillman Story
Maybe they shot him because he was an atheist. There are way too many jesus freaks in the army.
(August 19, 2010 at 12:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Maybe they shot him because he was an atheist. There are way too many jesus freaks in the army.

The fact that they felt the need to cover it up at all smells like a "fragging".

After all, other friendly fire incidents happen without a cover up. This is an unfortunate part of war. Why the cover up unless there's something worse under the surface?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(August 19, 2010 at 4:08 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(August 19, 2010 at 12:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Maybe they shot him because he was an atheist. There are way too many jesus freaks in the army.

The fact that they felt the need to cover it up at all smells like a "fragging".

After all, other friendly fire incidents happen without a cover up. This is an unfortunate part of war. Why the cover up unless there's something worse under the surface?

I don't believe this was a murder. The problem was that Tillman was a poster boy for the response to 9/11 - he gave up a lucrative contract and possibly his whole NFL career to enlist because he believed in the war in Afghanistan.

When he died they thought this would be a very public black eye since Tillman was pretty famous for having enlisted so they thought it would be a black eye in the whole PR dept.

I also don't think this was a purposeful friendly fire incident because they could have just said so instead of going to the trouble of giving him awards that aren't usually given for friendly fire incidents.

The whole Tillman story is pretty sad over all in how our government was and likely still is willing to dishonor someone's family and life just because of PR especially when that person gave his life in service to it.
It really does sound like some harrowing tale and I really feel for Tillman and the Tillman family. Every single one of the Tillman family have proven themselves to be heroes for fighting their battles and bringing out their story in spite of our own armed forces and the Bush White House.

Still though, I suppose I'd be more excited if this wasn't a drop in the perverbial bucket of lies, damned lies, and statistics from the Bush Administration. Despite that, if I can afford it, I'll certainly have to make an effort to see the movie.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
A tragic tale.Young men volunteering to go off and kill foreigners seem to seldom if ever seriously consider being killed might refer to them personally.

This week the 21st Australian soldier was killed in Afghanistan. People are getting REALLY pissed off.

We have a hung parliament.That means 2 independents and one Green will hold the balance of power in the Lower House.The Greens are calling for a parliamentary debate and conscience vote on Australia's involvement in Afghanistan..If that happens our troops will probably be withdrawn.

The justifications given by our politicians, to put it bluntly, are lies at worst,half truths at best.
No. "Lies" is the word.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never Ending Story: Another Investigation A Theist 10 1367 February 6, 2018 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What are your thoughts on this story? NuclearEnergy 6 1502 June 24, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Noam Chomsky: Trump-Russia story is 'a joke.' CapnAwesome 26 5084 April 25, 2017 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Why Do You Suppose FOX Did Not Cover This Story? Minimalist 4 1099 January 9, 2015 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  These Greedy Cocksuckers Never Change Their Story Minimalist 47 6700 July 8, 2014 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  This story made me cry. Brian37 12 4804 April 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Emails Blow Hole in Administration's Libya Story Tino 17 6780 November 3, 2012 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Tino
  CNBC uploads story of banks stealing 43 trillion. CNBC executive's children murdered. Ashendant 5 2750 October 28, 2012 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  "Capitalism: A Love Story"...Michael Moore's latest film. bozo 43 19245 September 13, 2009 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Meatball