Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your thoughts on this story?
What are your thoughts on this story?
Apparently a high school in Alabama has a reading list suggestion for their students. Many on the list are extreme Conservative writers. Ann Coulter, Michael Savage and Mark Levine have made the list. 

I personally have no issue with this. However, I think they should then put more left leaning writers on that list then, too. That is the only way I would be OK with it. I will give credit where it's due though, while I disagree with her greatly, Ann Coulter is actually quite interesting. Doesn't change the fact that she's bat shit crazy though. Michael Savage is a fucking nut though, and so is Mark Levine. 

I think it is good to learn both sides of the argument. But then again, when they are flat out liars that's a bit troubling. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/health/ala...peditorial

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: What are your thoughts on this story?
My opinion is that having extreme conservative views on a reading list are fine if the students learn how to critically think about what they read. That requires really good teachers.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It's Alabama and it is full of fucking inbred retards.  What's the surprise?
Agenda-driven, obviously. Let them balance the reading list.

Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics were good reads.  I think it's funny, if they are classified as "conservative books"..in that, in them, for example..the case is made that abortion reduced crime rates, not "tough on crime" conservative ideology.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 24, 2017 at 4:03 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: Apparently a high school in Alabama has a reading list suggestion for their students. Many on the list are extreme Conservative writers. Ann Coulter, Michael Savage and Mark Levine have made the list. 

I personally have no issue with this. However, I think they should then put more left leaning writers on that list then, too. That is the only way I would be OK with it. I will give credit where it's due though, while I disagree with her greatly, Ann Coulter is actually quite interesting. Doesn't change the fact that she's bat shit crazy though. Michael Savage is a fucking nut though, and so is Mark Levine. 

I think it is good to learn both sides of the argument. But then again, when they are flat out liars that's a bit troubling. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/health/ala...peditorial

Teachers should not be talking politics or religion. The only thing they should be talking about are civics and economic theory, peddling pundits from either the left or right is selling bias. Schools are for learning, not indoctrination of anything.

If they are willing to "wink" at the kids pointing to the right, believe me, they have no intent in suggesting anything from the left and I am sure these idiots would flip out if another teacher was suggesting a book by Hillary or Maddow. 

You don't expose kids like this, you teach how the government works, not who likes what party. You don't teach kids what to think, but how to think. 

Any political views should be left outside the door just like religion. The parents outside the schools have TV and the internet if they want to expose the kids to that. inside school, this kind of crap leads to bias and bias in a public school leads to discrimination or worse, indoctrination.
is this reading list going to have much of an impact on students that are undoubtedly looking at stuff online that might even embarrass me ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More fun thoughts onlinebiker 40 3759 August 7, 2019 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  The Never Ending Story: Another Investigation A Theist 10 1366 February 6, 2018 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Noam Chomsky: Trump-Russia story is 'a joke.' CapnAwesome 26 5080 April 25, 2017 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Shell B
  What's your thoughts on Trump? Zenith 239 29582 March 27, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My thoughts on modern day intersectionalist feminism] Lebneni Murtad 14 3646 March 7, 2017 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Your thoughts on the protests Aroura 221 23258 November 14, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Hillary Clinton and the DNC, My Thoughts Mechaghostman2 1 753 July 31, 2016 at 11:22 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Donald Trump and the RNC, My Thoughts Mechaghostman2 45 5443 July 26, 2016 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  What are your thoughts on Congress defunding Planned Parenthood GoHalos1993 51 8207 December 8, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Thoughts on migrant crisis and Islam. paulpablo 21 4578 November 17, 2015 at 5:47 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd