Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is life programmed to survive?
Why is life programmed to survive?
I have been wondering, why is life designed and programmed to survive? From our genes to our teeth, everything we have is in order to survive. This is also the case for plants, and every living being. We also know how this process happens from a biological perspective. Evolution, etc.

But now the question remains, why does life struggle to survive? This universe, or even Earth, does not care if there is life or not. And actually, chances are every life on Earth will disappear, as it has happened to 99% of all species that have existed. The Sun will eventually grow enough to absorb planet Earth, and then it will explode, making sure nothing will be left. 

I know this may be a philosphical question too, not only a scientific one. But as far as I know this question has not been answered. On the big scheme of things, we does life fight to survive?
RE: Why is life programmed to survive?
Because otherwise we'd have died out. That's why the sex drive is so strong. We have to be wired for self preservation and reproduction, or we wouldn't have existed this long.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 28, 2016 at 9:24 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Because otherwise we'd have died out. That's why the sex drive is so strong. We have to be wired for self preservation and reproduction, or we wouldn't have existed this long.

Yes but the question is why.

A world with or without life is no different for the universe. 

Religious people would answer this question by saying "Because God created us and we have a purpose". We as atheists need a real answer.

Living beings care about living, do not want to die. Why not simply die? Why are we encouraged to live?
For all we know, what looks like a systematic struggle to survive is just organisms shaped by evolution to procreate effectively.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Excellent question. I am curious to see what the forum comes up with.
(August 28, 2016 at 9:30 pm)Macoleco Wrote:
(August 28, 2016 at 9:24 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Because otherwise we'd have died out. That's why the sex drive is so strong. We have to be wired for self preservation and reproduction, or we wouldn't have existed this long.

Yes but the question is why.

A world with or without life is no different for the universe. 

Religious people would answer this question by saying "Because God created us and we have a purpose". We as atheists need a real answer.

Living beings care about living, do not want to die. Why not simply die? Why are we encouraged to live?

Because animals with the urge to live tend to live longer, thus capable of propagating their genes more widely, on average, than apathetic animals. Over time those apathetic animals -- surprise! -- die out of the gene pool.

That is why -- those who struggle are the ones left to pass on their genes and teach their young (whichever has more influence beats me, probably depends on the species) to struggle.

(August 28, 2016 at 9:17 pm)Macoleco Wrote: I have been wondering, why is life designed and programmed to survive? From our genes to our teeth, everything we have is in order to survive. This is also the case for plants, and every living being. We also know how this process happens from a biological perspective. Evolution, etc.

But now the question remains, why does life struggle to survive? This universe, or even Earth, does not care if there is life or not. And actually, chances are every life on Earth will disappear, as it has happened to 99% of all species that have existed. The Sun will eventually grow enough to absorb planet Earth, and then it will explode, making sure nothing will be left. 

I know this may be a philosphical question too, not only a scientific one. But as far as I know this question has not been answered. On the big scheme of things, we does life fight to survive?

These are alot of dumb answers but mine is no better.

In nature everything tends to chaos (highest state of entropy).
How ever when life arose it created order (limit entropy for a period of time).

Now through the randomness of chaos arose life and through life arose chaos.

Both cancel each other out but can not survive without one another.
Kinda like yin yang.

That's not how it works.

(August 28, 2016 at 10:25 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: That's not how it works.

Whadda ya mean.

It's not exactly like ying yang because chaos can always exist, but life needs and can create chaos.
Philosophically and biologically.

I'm sure it can't have anything to with successful life forms passing on their genetic material over billions of years.

Nah, that can't have anything to do with it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life eating other life. Brian37 42 2182 May 14, 2021 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How did men survive this? Losty 23 3327 May 11, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  quality of life or life for life's sake tackattack 37 2279 November 24, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch