Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Harris On Defining Consciousness
Sam Harris On Defining Consciousness
Am currently reading Sam Harris book “Spirituality Without God.” Harris talks about the difficulty of defining consciousness. I know there are different degrees of consciousness, but I think he’s talking about basic consciousness as a province of sentient beings. It is, I think, the difference between a “being” and a mere organism or object.

As Harris says, we know what consciousness isbut simply cannot define it the same way we define a concept like fluidity (the movement of like molecules.) I think the main problem is the definitions we use in our efforts to define consciousness are not exclusive enough in a world of high technology. What could we say? Is consciousness memory? Does having awareness make one conscious? Maybe it should be qualified as self-awareness. . but can it be said that a computer program that is able to detext foreign input and distinguish it from native code is self-aware? As the guardians of human dignity, we want to define consciousness in a way that excludes Windows, and none of the above indicators does that. What’s more, as Harris points out, they can only be verified subjectively. I know that I am conscious because I know that I am conscious. But how can we prove, using the scientific method, that others have consciousness?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Sam Harris On Defining Consciousness
Science doesn't prove, but setting up an experiment to determine whether or not something is conscious shouldn't be too difficult.....we do it all the time (and subjectivity is hardly a problem here). I don't personally care to exclude windows, or any other thing. Either "x" presents itself or it doesn't, human dignity means fuck all in this context.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 24, 2015 at 2:52 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Am currently reading Sam Harris book “Spirituality Without God.” Harris talks about the difficulty of defining consciousness.  I know there are different degrees of consciousness, but I think he’s talking about basic consciousness as a province of sentient beings.  It is, I think, the difference between a “being” and a mere organism or object.

As Harris says, we know what consciousness isbut simply cannot define it the same way we define a concept like fluidity (the movement of like molecules.) I think the main problem is the definitions we use in our efforts to define consciousness are not exclusive enough in a world of high technology. What could we say? Is consciousness memory? Does having awareness make one conscious? Maybe it should be qualified as self-awareness. . but can it be said that  a computer program that is able to detext  foreign input and distinguish it from native code is self-aware?  As the guardians of human dignity, we want to define consciousness in a way that excludes Windows,  and none of the above indicators does that. What’s more, as Harris points out, they can only be verified subjectively. I know that I am conscious because I know that I am conscious. But how can we prove, using the scientific method, that others have consciousness?

I look at consciousness, like most other constructs, as a spectrum. Modern computers are conscious, in a sense, but to such a low extent compared to humans that it'd be meaningless to consider them as such.
I'm not great with this type of philosophy stuff so bear with me.

What does a definition of consciousness do for us (other than give us defining terms)? Once there is an agreed upon definition, then what?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
There has to be some agreement, even if it's just between two parties (or for the sake of discussion), before any logical operation can be applied.  Some "x" must be known, or accepted -as- fact, or nothing can follow.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I love Harris, but I hate his defending " spirituality".

We know what gravity is even though we have yet to figure out the cause.

Consciousness is no different than any other aspect of nature. It is an outcome of nature, just like one water molecule is nothing by itself, but with the right atmospheric conditions can collect over time to end up in organized hurricane or snow blizzard.

Cognition is simply a result of evolution.
(August 24, 2015 at 3:54 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm not great with this type of philosophy stuff so bear with me.

What does a definition of consciousness do for us (other than give us defining terms)? Once there is an agreed upon definition, then what?

I think the idea is then we can say what is conscious and what is not. I don't buy that. We can infer that consciousness arises from the processes of the brain but I as far as I know, we haven't the slightest clue how that works. Being so ignorant, how are we to distinguish what level of complexity is required? We know we are conscious and it's safe to say a brick is not. A house cat almost certainly is while an earthworm is almost certainly not. But what about a gecko? I don't think a definition is really going to help much when we have so little understanding of how consciousness works.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Earthworms and geckos are -both- demonstrably conscious, though, granted, bricks don't seem to be. The idea, amigo, is that we might avoid saying things like "earthworms aren't conscious" - and then using that misconception to form some further idea, plan, or concept. As a related aside, if there are varying degrees of consciousness...earthworms are actually pretty damned advanced. That we don't think of them that way has little to do with the facts of the matter.
OK, this is what I'm getting. This is simply a mental exercise in philosophy. It appears, even with the brief amount of posts, that agreement on a definition may never happen. Is that the purpose? An ongoing debate? Just for argument lets say that a majority come to a consensus on a definition. Is the next step another mental exercise in philosophy?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Why cherry pick what life was the first consciousness? That is as absurd as claiming plants feel pain. Jellyfish have been noted as being the earliest form of eye sight. Evolution isn't about first, but a knowdege of history of conditions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the consciousness of a new born baby Macoleco 8 787 April 7, 2022 at 7:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  LOOK!>> -Consciousness After Death -official <<Clickbait! ignoramus 10 1854 October 19, 2017 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Quantum consciousness... ignoramus 109 15458 August 30, 2017 at 5:32 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Giulio Tononi's Theory of Consciousness Jehanne 11 3312 September 18, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Intelligence, Consciousness and Soul, oh my; Sy Montgomery's "The Soul of an Octopus" Whateverist 11 2150 February 2, 2016 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Lightbulb Abortion/Consciousness/Life TheGamingAtheist 244 41201 October 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Chas
  Banishing consciousness: the mystery of anaesthesia orogenicman 5 2093 December 2, 2011 at 11:34 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Higher consciousness in animals Justtristo 4 3254 March 31, 2011 at 11:33 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub