Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Words to be avoided in Polite Conversation
Words to be avoided in Polite Conversation
Is it too PC now to think that certain mere words can offend and should be avoided to placate the minorities?
I don't think so.  Some people think that words don't hurt people and we should not be dictated to by anyone else trying to tell us what we can and cannot say.  I agree  that our freedom of speech should not be restrained, unless it can be shown that others have suffered some sort of harm.
Examples of disability slurs that offend me are retard, fucktard, and lame.  They harm me because my feelings are hurt as I have kids that have mental and physical disabilities. To say that retard means slow and lame means feeble doesn't make me feel any better, especially when the intent is obvious. These are words that have been used to vilify people with intellectual disabilities.

Swear Words  
I think that it is still possible to be offended by swear words.
For example the word "cunt" is probably one of the last taboo words in our language and is considered by most as a vulgar word and to be avoided in polite discussion. The gender opposite term "dick" is also offensive, though for a strange reason, much less offensive.
I have heard that some people use that word freely and it is not offensive, rather they use it in an affectionate manner or as a descriptive word where members of their societal group aren't offended and outsiders should show respect for its usage.
Is it best to avoid these words in polite conversation?  I think so, as other words are available that cause less offense and are more communicative.
Are these "magic" words and don't really matter as they don't cause any real harm? A single letter change may alter their meaning anyway and they are just letters grouped together, so what's the big deal? 

I would appreciate your thoughts, thanks.
RE: Words to be avoided in Polite Conversation
"Cactus-garroter."

It counts as one word because it's hyphenated.
Quote:For example the word "cunt" is probably one of the last taboo words in our language and is considered by most as a vulgar word and to be avoided in polite discussion.

Not in the UK it's not.
I agree Pony and anyone who disagrees is a cunt.

Btw in case it weren't obvious: I'm joking Tongue
No words should be banned in any manner, period. Free speech all the way. That is my position on the matter.
Anyone who wants to ban all words shouldn't be allowed to talk.

Again, in case it's not obvious... I'm joking.

What I really think is they should be forced to say "cunt!!!" 100 times a day Hehe
Warbler
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Queef?  Wink
Sillyface.

It's the worst. Just the worst.
(September 23, 2016 at 6:49 am)Firefighter01  For example the word "cunt" is probably one of the last taboo words in our language and is considered by most as a vulgar word and to be avoided in polite discussion. Wrote:
Quote:Bella Morte
Not in the UK it's not.

Firefighter01
Really? So I could call a pre-school teacher that in front of her class without causing offence?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Never ending story: add 3 words! robvalue 9620 519386 August 21, 2023 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  If you could have a conversation with anyone.. Cod 42 4858 July 21, 2019 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Interlocutor and other ugly words. Succubus 0 205 March 29, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Cordless headphones, I don't have the words... Gawdzilla Sama 9 1470 July 9, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Words and cultural differences pocaracas 15 1774 June 3, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Words... Foxaèr 24 4155 April 3, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Words To Think About Minimalist 2 518 August 10, 2017 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Words out of context. brewer 19 1444 July 22, 2017 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Has technology ruined the art of conversation? HairyCyclist 35 4585 February 27, 2017 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Trigger Words Loading Please Wait 64 5815 January 7, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: pocaracas