Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Words and cultural differences
Words and cultural differences
Actually, this is about the word Cunt, but feel free to put up more examples.

It seems Americans get offended... very offended... when that word is thrown at them.
Not so much if one uses pussy. Both mean vagina when on their own, but when it's a qualifier they have different meanings.
Pussy means someone who is afraid, or scared.
But Cunt, I don't know.
The British seem to use cunt as an everyday insult. Something similar to idiot.
Idiot is a word that Americans use a lot and don't seem to get as upset over it as cunt.

Why?
What is the meaning of cunt to Americans?
RE: Words and cultural differences
Probably also what it means to everyone else. Not nice at all to say it to a woman that's for sure. I could never do it. It's too demeaning.

Would you use the "N" word in anger? Same deal. Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 3, 2018 at 5:08 am)ignoramus Wrote: Probably also what it means to everyone else. Not nice at all to say it to a woman that's for sure. I could never do it. It's too demeaning.

As a non-native, I'm not bound by the same preconceptions...

Also, in Portuguese, the N word is the politically correct way to refer to African people and their descendants.
(June 3, 2018 at 5:12 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(June 3, 2018 at 5:08 am)ignoramus Wrote: Probably also what it means to everyone else. Not nice at all to say it to a woman that's for sure. I could never do it. It's too demeaning.

As a non-native, I'm not bound by the same preconceptions...

Also, in Portuguese, the N word is the politically correct way to refer to African people and their descendants.

No, they prefer to be called "pretos"(black) instead of negro (in portuguese its a pc word). It all depends on the demeanor used.
Imagine you asked someone up north how much they sell the nêspera Big Grin here its a fruit.
(June 3, 2018 at 5:19 am)LastPoet Wrote:
(June 3, 2018 at 5:12 am)pocaracas Wrote: As a non-native, I'm not bound by the same preconceptions...

No, they prefer to be called "pretos"(black) instead of negro (in portuguese its a pc word). It all depends on the demeanor used.

Maybe some prefer that... but the pc word is negro.

I'm not from the north, so I don't know what other meaning they have for nêspera...
(June 3, 2018 at 5:29 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(June 3, 2018 at 5:19 am)LastPoet Wrote: No, they prefer to be called "pretos"(black) instead of negro (in portuguese its a pc word). It all depends on the demeanor used.

Maybe some prefer that... but the pc word is negro.

I'm not from the north, so I don't know what other meaning they have for nêspera...

You go up there and in a market the woman there how much does she sell the "nêspera". It means pussy, vagina up there. I am not from there, but I know this rectangle top to bottom. They call the fruit by another name, drawing a blank on the name they use.

Its like " filho da puta". In some parts its banter, in others is a deadly offense. The demeanor is important.
I once spent far more time than I should have explaining to a USian poster that 'Paki' isn't simply short for 'Pakistani', but a derogatory, racist term, not much different than calling a person of African descent a 'nigger'.

But back to the OP:

'Cunt' is offensive, no matter how it is used.  Yes, the use of it is VERY common, still not something you'd say in polite company. In the UK, Australia or New Zealand, calling someone a cunt is much more likely to escalate the situation than calling them an idiot.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Pussy and cunt are synonymous with vagina. I think cunts are beautiful. No reason to use ithe word as an insult. But, I am not easily offended either. I don't want to take away anybody's favorite toys
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(June 3, 2018 at 6:00 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 'Cunt' is offensive, no matter how it is used.  Yes, the use of it is VERY common, still not something you'd say in polite company. In the UK, Australia or New Zealand, calling someone a cunt is much more likely to escalate the situation than calling them an idiot.

Boru

I don't know. In some sense it's like the N word in that its offensiveness depends on context and intent. A woman can call another woman a cunt, or moreso, call a man a cunt, without it necessarily having the same salacious and offensive content. Indeed, I understand that the word is used as another term for mate in Australia. In particular, too, I think it comes across as more offensive when it is intentionally used to offend than when it is not. Say if a female pal of mine were to make a brain fart, I might respond along the lines of, "You silly cunt," and not be perceived as being offensive at all. It's similar to 'bint' in that respect. So I think it depends.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Never ending story: add 3 words! robvalue 9620 520900 August 21, 2023 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Cultural Appropriation and Food Goosebump 15 1184 June 6, 2021 at 11:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Interlocutor and other ugly words. Succubus 0 205 March 29, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Cordless headphones, I don't have the words... Gawdzilla Sama 9 1475 July 9, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The differences that separate and unite us. Whateverist 30 4200 April 14, 2018 at 6:30 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Words... Foxaèr 24 4155 April 3, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Words To Think About Minimalist 2 518 August 10, 2017 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Words out of context. brewer 19 1444 July 22, 2017 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Evidence of Cultural Decline in Europe - Beer Yoga Neo-Scholastic 4 613 April 26, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trigger Words Loading Please Wait 64 5819 January 7, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: pocaracas