Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aspergers Syndrome
Aspergers Syndrome
Anyone here know much about Aspergers Syndrome? It's something I may get diagnosed with soon. I've already been tested by a neuropsych before and I've done a small questionaire and online tests... but no full diagnosis yet but I'll be getting an asssessment and a positive or negative result on a diagnosis in a few weeks time.

So yeah, anyone here know much about it?
RE: Aspergers Syndrome
I just know I have a nephew whose has gotten that diagnosis and I like him a lot, one of my favorite family members. I like how bright and courageous he is and warm in his own way. He certainly understands that he comes off differently than others but he doesn't let it stop him. He works full time for the Wall Street Journal doing statistical display and analysis. He married an (east) indian woman he met in college who does the same thing for Moody's. They're both so smart and witty that it makes you want to cancel your subscription to normalcy. I'll just have what they're having.
Wonderful.

I don't want to have Aspergers... but I don't want to not get it resolved and treated if I do have it. And I am tired of having no explanation and recommended treatment for my mental problems.

If it's a positive result it does mean I can finally get the treatment I have been needing all my life.

And....

I mean............TBH. it would explain a lot. Like my whole life. Lol.

If the result is a negative it means I can go through with standard CBT treatment and maybe some medication that will treat my obsessive compulsive symptoms (which I do think are related to Apergers... explains my not liking change, wanting to stay in my comfort zone, obsessions with rules, and my social awkwardness).

IRL I'm socially isolated and everyone would think I was an introvert. I'm an extrovert in the sense that I get energized from soclization rahter than exhausted. I don't need time apart from socializig to recharge, time apart from socliazing exhausts me.

However I do exhaust myself an awful lot. Especially lately. I'm very socially awkard lately I think although at least today specifically I think I'm handling it a little better by at least responding to and addressing it when it's brought up.

Everyone likes me in RL, even my ex-roommate who became very nasty and vile to me likes me now that her anger has faded... of course if I ever let her get close to me or accepted any of her help she'd no doubt mistreat me and treat me like crap and start hating me -- or at least acting like she hated me again.

I think my ex-roommate often got angry with me because she couldn't get what she wanted and she was very nasty and mistreated me a lot but I don't think she ever hated me. In fact if she had hated me perhaps things would have been easier for me because she would have left me alone and not tried to control me with guilt.

So yeah, everyone likes me in RL.... but I am too trusting and get hurt a lot Sad
Was diagnosed as a kid.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
And I've had students with that diagnosis who I'd never have guessed.
I have a friend with Aspergers, but I haven't asked him many details about it. It's no big deal to me.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(September 23, 2016 at 2:40 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Was diagnosed as a kid.

Hey you may have a turtley friend who is a fellow aspie soon Cool
My 14 year old son has been diagnosed with Aspergers.  In his case, I don't think it's that big of a deal, and I question whether the diagnosis is correct (I think the guy is a bit of a quack).  He's slightly socially awkward, which I attribute more to his mother's helicopter parenting and overprotective nature moreso than anything else.
I did have one of my union members with it and he was exceedingly difficult in the workplace.  Hyper sensitive to light, smell, and sound he once designed a cardboard box to fit over his computer terminal so he could block out all other light sources.  He coupled that with a set of heavy duty noise suppressors, like airport workers wear, so he could withdraw into his own little world.  I did think he was super-intelligent but he was so difficult to deal with that his co-workers hated him as much as the management.  His family had an order of protection against him and he was homeless.  He lived in his car in the office parking lot.
I'm definitely far better at socializing when I switch between multiple (or at least two) topics at once. Is that weird?

I think it stops me being obsessed and stubborn. I fucking love switching between topics quickly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kallmann Syndrome Mechaghostman2 20 5063 April 25, 2018 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Aerotoxic Syndrome Aractus 0 529 February 18, 2015 at 8:52 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Man with Downs Syndrome Dies Due to Police Actions festive1 14 3746 July 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Well. . . looks like I have Aspergers. Aegrus 11 3407 December 4, 2012 at 3:42 am
Last Post: DoktorZ
  Living with Anxiety Disorder and Aspergers SkepticalMoron 19 4031 November 14, 2012 at 8:41 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko