Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Atheist Movement.
The Atheist Movement.
It seems like they (Krauss, Carroll, Carrier, etc.) are basically one-man shows.  Over the last six months I have emailed all three of them on occassion, suggesting ideas that I believe would be helpful to their "ministry".  No replies from any of them.  I get the impression having just listened to the entire "Moving Naturalism Forward" conference (first day episode here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju4C_ITlBsU

that they (our "leaders") do not get along with each other very well and may not even like each other.

Thoughts?
RE: The Atheist Movement.
Since individualism always was my goal, I don't give a shit. I didn't consider any of them my "leaders", even within quotation marks. They're all good at their real jobs. Let people think for themselves instead of rallying behind the next wayward flag. That's the beauty of atheism.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
George Carlin Wrote:I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.
Also don't give a shit. The atheist movement means very little to me, because literally the only thing I have in common with all these people is we don't believe in God or gods.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(September 28, 2016 at 7:31 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Also don't give a shit. The atheist movement means very little to me, because literally the only thing I have in common with all these people is we don't believe in God or gods.

Interesting people though. As I said, all good at their real jobs. I just don't need them to congregate to lecture me on atheism.
It's a movement like any other, it's mostly cultural/political in nature. You can either identify with it or not, no one is making you do anything.
(September 28, 2016 at 7:31 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Also don't give a shit. The atheist movement means very little to me, because literally the only thing I have in common with all these people is we don't believe in God or gods.

Fuck the atheist movement...

The AF movement however...

...these forums kick ass.
The excitement of moving beyond god belief has always struck me as being interesting only for recently reconverted believers and the few odd balls who look to make a name for themselves by writing popular atheism books. I don't support the advancement of atheism 'for the good of humanity'. I'd rather leave that up to each individual to decide on the basis of their humanity. Meh.
(September 28, 2016 at 7:45 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Fuck the atheist movement...

The AF movement however...

...these forums kick ass.

Yeah, but it's kind of significant that I spend the least amount of time reading and responding in the religious/atheist parts of the forums.
Why does there need to be a movement with leaders?

Why not think for yourself?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HeGetUs Movement Hi600 16 1540 April 1, 2023 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4477 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  The "atheist movement" naimless 16 4776 March 6, 2013 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  How the divine pen of Michel Nostradamus crushed the international atheist movement freethoughtbullies 3 1681 July 30, 2012 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Jackalope