Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "atheist movement"
The "atheist movement"
There has been a recent trend on social media of the new atheist. One of my friends takes pleasure in constantly updating a status regarding how science proves theism wrong for every religious post he sees, despite sitting beside me in Chemistry at school and getting significantly lower grades than the religious people.

I enjoy free speech and I can choose to un-subscribe from him or better still, delete him altogether and never go online again. However, I don't disagree with most of what he says, and some of it is pretty funny when in the right mood. He was a good laugh in school as well, which is why he is my friend and why my Chemistry grade was significantly lower than Biology, despite me actually enjoying the former a lot more.

But I digress, I feel something is askew here. I'd estimate about 10% of my friends are religious posters, met with 5% anti-theist posters.

So what about the rest?

Well, the rest probably feel the need to not say very much at all and are probably agnostic of some description. Agnostic-atheists, in many cases. They probably don't think religion should dictate science. But they probably also don't think that atheists should dictate, not too dissimilar to how religious people dictated to them - in fact in many ways they see people being less compassionately approached now.

So it's just a thought for anyone in this atheist movement. As long as people are agnostic, the fundamentalism doesn't happen.
RE: The "atheist movement"
You must remember that atheism is as old as religion itself.

As for your FB friends that is up to you to decide. Whom do you want to keep and whom do you wish to discard?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 5, 2013 at 10:16 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: You must remember that atheism is as old as religion itself.

As for your FB friends that is up to you to decide. Whom do you want to keep and whom do you wish to discard?

This isn't about my personal situation, that was just an example I was familiar with and assume others may be. It's about the effects of spreading atheism.

It is clear that there are some people on an atheist movement who disrespect science a lot more than some religious people. I'm with Neil deGrasse Tyson on this one, in that science, if anything, is agnostic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos

Now, within agnosticism, I am an atheist. However, I'd be happy if everyone reached agnosticism or no label at all. It's a place everyone can reach to easier in order to limit the fundamentalism.
I do NOT think that spreading atheism is a necessity naimeless

So many people I meet are just as "agnostic/atheistic/ totally disinterested in religion as the most ardent of atheist you will find.

Don't PUSH people. Atheism has been around for more than 60'000 years; and in all that time it has not died out.

Curiosity and the tools to deal with it...WELL THAT is another story and the one you seem to be interested in Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 5, 2013 at 11:03 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Atheism has been around for more than 60'000 years
Understatement galore!
Wink
This MAY be the case pocaracas, BUT 60,000 is our current "best estimate" for religious indoctrination of peoples on this rock, as far as I am aware.
And, before that, people weren't atheists?
Or were simply not aware that they were atheists?
Before that was another "religion" that may or may not have been 'atheistic" in nature and theory perhaps.

You DO remember 60, 000 years ago?? The best we have is the Aborigines from Australia who @ 40,000 +/- 20,000 have the oldest "religion/ culture" on the planet
(March 5, 2013 at 11:03 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I do NOT think that spreading atheism is a necessity naimeless

My post is not aimed at you. It is for people who do push it and who are unaware of the negative consequences it has for the term atheism, and indeed the term science.
(March 5, 2013 at 11:42 am)naimless Wrote:
(March 5, 2013 at 11:03 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I do NOT think that spreading atheism is a necessity naimeless

My post is not aimed at you. It is for people who do push it and who are unaware of the negative consequences it has for the term atheism, and indeed the term science.

Agreed, my apologies if I came across as being personally affected.

I have a feeling that atheism will become stronger as many see the fallacies of their chosen delusion.

As the die-hard religious say "If you don't believe with us as we say you should, you are an atheist /'apostate' and therefore dead to us"

Such a welcoming and compassionate view point don't you think?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HeGetUs Movement Hi600 16 1540 April 1, 2023 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4477 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  The Atheist Movement. Jehanne 83 9246 October 1, 2016 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Czechlervitz30
  How the divine pen of Michel Nostradamus crushed the international atheist movement freethoughtbullies 3 1681 July 30, 2012 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Jackalope