Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fiction (novels & short stories)
Fiction (novels & short stories)
I'm slowly in the process of re-arranging my library, and I've noticed that I have much more non-fiction (and poetry) than I do fiction. I know I have much more ease with non-fiction. I find fiction more of a challenge for some unknown reason-- but when I find fiction I can really enjoy, I find it much more rewarding than non-fiction.

I've done much better in the past years with my fiction reading, but still find my library unbalanced. I thought this would be a good place for fiction book recommendations.

The two novels I've read (both in the past five years) that I would personally rank highest is Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and Toni Morrison's Beloved.

Dostoevsky deals with lots of philosophical questions (which he wisely never resolves neatly). In Crime and Punishment the big question is: Can the ends justify the means? The main character discovers that ideology and reality don't always meet up (apparently an obsession of Dostoevsky's). The first few chapters take some getting used to, but the characters are rich, complex and memorable (especially the absurd and pathetic Katerina Ivanovna). I read the translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.

Beloved also deals with an unresolvable moral quandary, based on a true story of an escaped slave in the antebellum US south who murdered her children when the slave catchers found her-- her sad logic being that her children were better off dead than being brought back to slavery (before anyone thinks that it couldn't be THAT bad, read some US history). The novel is an ambiguous ghost story-- but it is really more about the feelings of guilt the mother has years later after the Civil War. Reading this was a bit difficult at first because it is not told merely in chronological order, but I think with a book dealing with painful memories like what these characters would have suffered, it makes sense-- there are evasions of memory that run throughout the book.

I think the thing that interests me with these two books (and some others that I have read), is that, unlike philosophy, such characters are unsystematic, inconsistent, often ambivalent, and not as neatly rational-- in other words, more lifelike. Even when the characters are larger than life, it is only because they amplify intensely such questions we sometimes encounter ourselves. The novels I enjoy the most teach me not only something the world around me, but about myself. These are the only two books I recall that have ever brought me to tears-- well, and also Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (easy enough for movies, but I'm not usually that responsive to books).

The other night I just finished A Sorrow Beyond Dreams by the Austrian writer Peter Handke (who wrote much of the poetic screenplay for Wim Wender's Wings of Desire). Its a short semi-autobiographical novel about his mother who committed suicide after the cancer she had made her life unbearable for her. Its peculiar how it is written, in an almost clinical way, yet his grief comes through in spite of this approach-- he cannot contain the event in language. Not light reading!

I've just started on Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men. I saw the movie last year and was very impressed (an utterly humorless film, which is unusual for the Coen brothers). So far it reads well enough and I'm enjoying it...

~~~

Anyone else? Recommendations? Favorites? Experiences?
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
RE: Fiction (novels & short stories)
My favorite fiction is very loosely based on non-fiction. It's the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden and has Julius Ceasar and Marcus Brutus as the main characters.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(August 24, 2010 at 1:11 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: My favorite fiction is very loosely based on non-fiction. It's the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden and has Julius Ceasar and Marcus Brutus as the main characters.

I've had Robert Graves' I, Claudius on my "to get" list for some time, but I have yet to get a round tuit (I've never seen the BBC TV series).
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
Pastorallia by George Saunders

I've only read one of the short stories in there, but it's a good story and I read a few others by Saunders. My boyfriend just yelled at me because I haven't read more of that collection.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Well, some of my favorite fictions are by Hubert Selby Jr (especially his early period, from Last Exit to Requiem), Charles Bukowski, Nathanael West, and Lionel Shriver. Granted, I read a lot more, but it'd take hours to write about them all.

By the way, kudos on choosing the Pevear and Volokhonsky translations.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(August 24, 2010 at 8:08 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Nathanael West

I read Miss Lonelyhearts a few years ago but didn't connect with it-- but I shouldn't write him off either.

Finished Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men the other day which has been one of the best books I've read this year. I will have to check out more of his books.

Starting on Georges Bernanos' Mouchette later this week (I've never seen the film).
I enjoy anything by Neil Gaiman, especially but not limited to; Good Omens, American Gods, Neverwhere, and Anansi Boys. He is a fantastic fantasy writer and I encourage you to read him if you have a thing for dry, British humor.

But maybe that's not your thing and you'd ratehr read a nice, thought-provoking piece. In that case, check out anything by Ray Bradbury, or read 1984 by George Orwell. 1984 is mind-blowing honestly. Big Grin
(August 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm)Watson Wrote: ...anything by Ray Bradbury, or read 1984 by George Orwell. 1984 is mind-blowing honestly. Big Grin

Definitely. Bradbury's Martian Chronicles is great (I've read it at least four or five times in the past 25 years) and Farenheit 451 is quite good as well. Many of those stories in the MC haunt me still (especially "There Will Come Soft Rains"). I should read more of him.

1984 is brilliant.

Along similar lines, there is Arthur Koestler's novel Darkness at Noon. It is based on the Stalin show trials, about one of the original revolutionaries being arrested and him dealing with (and evading) the guilt from his actions in the past. Hard to put down.

I may have to look into that one, it sounds intriguing!

And i can't believe I completelyforgot about my favorite author of all time, Kurt Vonnegut! He is absolutely amazing and I've never read anything by him that I haven't enjoyed immensely.(Except maybe Bluebeard, that one was a little bit weak.) Some great ones from him are Cat's Cradle, Time Quake, A Man Without a Country(basically his thoughts on life), and Slaughterhouse 5. He's fantastic, and i highly recommend him; not just to you, but everyone here. haha!
(August 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm)Watson Wrote: I may have to look into that one, it sounds intriguing!

And i can't believe I completelyforgot about my favorite author of all time, Kurt Vonnegut! He is absolutely amazing and I've never read anything by him that I haven't enjoyed immensely.(Except maybe Bluebeard, that one was a little bit weak.) Some great ones from him are Cat's Cradle, Time Quake, A Man Without a Country(basically his thoughts on life), and Slaughterhouse 5. He's fantastic, and i highly recommend him; not just to you, but everyone here. haha!

You left out "sirens of Titan"

I'm a BIG Sci-fi fan, also of Terry Pratchett, particularly the Discworld series.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project? Collaborative Fiction, based on a true story kinda Nanny 2 252 February 2, 2024 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  The Most Notorious Badass In Fiction BrianSoddingBoru4 25 1414 September 19, 2023 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Horror fiction MR. Macabre 666 16 997 May 25, 2023 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sticks: A Short Story - Satire Rhondazvous 2 437 May 12, 2020 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Post your Favorite Short Stories vulcanlogician 42 7486 June 3, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? Rhondazvous 51 5325 February 27, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Novels: what have you read recently, how did it affect you and do you recommend it? Whateverist 16 3564 July 14, 2016 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Short movie about young Carl Sagan Fake Messiah 0 862 August 26, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Wrote a short story, let me know what you think. Foxaèr 3 1330 April 25, 2015 at 8:47 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  "Rot" - A Free Short Story by Shell_B Tiberius 6 1307 April 24, 2015 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Tiberius