Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Novels: what have you read recently, how did it affect you and do you recommend it?
Novels: what have you read recently, how did it affect you and do you recommend it?
I've been reading Elizabeth Strout.  Started a couple weeks ago with her most recent book "I Am Lucy Barton".  Loved the immediacy of the writing, its lack of adornment.  The main character whose view point we are allowed to enter is born dirt poor.  She succeeds at school despite coming from an unschooled background, primarily because she stays there late to finish assignments and read, but that is a byproduct of her desire to stay warm.  Her own family lived in an unheated garage and the climate is one with four seasons.  Ultimately she earns a scholarship and becomes a published writer.  In spite of her success, her insights into her characters betray an outsider's point of view.

Today I finished the book she'd finished just prior titled "The Burgess Boys".  This one is topically about dysfunctional families and immigrants.  It made me think about how we weave circumstances into our stories of who we are. Everyone says she does an especially good job of creating 3-dimensional characters while still keeping the plot moving and interesting.  I really saw that was true in this one.

Of the two, I'd say the first one grabbed me immediately and made me sorry to see it end.  Not sure I would have kept at the second one long enough to be drawn in without having developed confidence in the writer from the first one I read.  But I did end up enjoying it just as much.  So my recommendation is to read them in the same order.

Hope to get some leads for future books here.  I've always had a strong preference for nonfiction; but now I just love reading a good story and seeing the world through different eyes, and from a different place and time.  Between these two books I read Martin's "The Hedge Knight" which I thought was a lot of fun.  Made me think George might have written it to develop and flesh out the world he has created in the Fire and Ice series.  But I frankly hope he writes more stories involving Duncan and Egg.  Just picked up my next book, Martin's "The Ice Dragon" story.  Sadly this one looks to be even shorter than the Hedge Knight.  What can I say, got to find something to read while waiting on "The Winds of Winter".
RE: Novels: what have you read recently, how did it affect you and do you recommend it?
I recently read The Age Of Miracles.
I don't recommend it. It could have been an awesome book. The subject material was exciting enough. Instead, you spend the whole book waiting for something to happen until it just trails off. 2.5/5
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: Novels: what have you read recently, how did it affect you and do you recommend it?
Bummer. Better luck next read.
I'll read yours next. I'm always happy to find a good book.

0/10

The local branch of the library is only two blocks away. I'm really enjoying just reading the books but giving them back when I'm through. I think we have enough old musty smelling books around here.
Reading this at the moment:

[Image: resized_Crown-of-Renewal-UK-cover.jpg]

Fifth book in a five book cycle.

Can be a bit difficult to read in places but a good story.
Dying to live, living to die.
Am I weird? Because I love the smell of books...

0/10

(June 28, 2016 at 9:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Reading this at the moment:

I've enjoyed a lot of fantasy and science fiction and obviously still do.  Other than Martin it isn't what's drawing me lately but if you tell me it's good I'll work it in.
(June 28, 2016 at 10:03 pm)Losty Wrote: Am I weird? Because I love the smell of books...

Am I weird? Because so do I Big Grin
(June 28, 2016 at 10:13 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(June 28, 2016 at 9:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Reading this at the moment:

I've enjoyed a lot of fantasy and science fiction and obviously still do.  Other than Martin it isn't what's drawing me lately but if you tell me it's good I'll work it in.

I bet you say that to all the girls.

It's quite a complicated series in that it follows on from a book series called the Deed of Paksennarrion.

While these books can be read without the original series, it's better as a follow up, since many of the characters are introduced in the original series.

The main character from the first series, however, plays a minimal part in this series - more passing through than anything.  This series is called "Paladin's Legacy"
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommend some sci-fi authors Foxaèr 26 2213 March 29, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Dr Finn and Yaphit did the nasty . . . vorlon13 0 544 November 11, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 755 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Anyone read Name of the Wind/Kingkiller Chronicle? Astonished 8 1872 June 26, 2017 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Would you recommend his dark materials? snerie 16 5315 June 15, 2017 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: John V
  Anyone want to read and discuss "The Origin of Consc in the Breakdown of the B Mind ? Whateverist 16 2045 October 31, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  David Bowie's 100 Favourite books: How many have you read? Rev. Rye 27 2545 October 22, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  OMG OMG OMG Marvel Cinematic Universe Fans have GOT to read this..... Joods 6 1099 May 25, 2016 at 12:12 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poetry: Read and Listen Rhondazvous 14 2012 April 10, 2016 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Little lunch
Wink Anyone here read comic books? Pizza 18 3587 January 30, 2015 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Norman Humann