Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death Penalty Vote
Death Penalty Vote
Keeping the death penalty is up for vote in my state. The legislature passed a repeal in May but the governor vetoed, hence the vote. 

I've got an idea on how I will vote but thought I give you the chance to bring up pro or con issues/reasons that I may not have considered. FYI, the current method is lethal injection. 

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.reso...eID=002000
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Death Penalty Vote
We don't -need- to execute people, we kill innocent people accidentally (and on purpose, ffs), it costs us more to kill them than it does to incarcerate them, and it can't be undone or overturned.  Pretty sure that's every base covered.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Individuals are only allowed to take life in self defense. The state should be limited in the same way.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

My state is California, and it seems like they never execute anyone (13 times since 1976. Pointless). So, even though I am in favor of capital punishment being an option for murder or for aggravated rape, I am voting to repeal the DP in California.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Repeal. "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."
A Gemma is forever.
(October 6, 2016 at 6:39 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: FYI, the current method is lethal injection. 

The method is as irrelevant as personal feelings on the matter. I always keep saying, if someone hurt one of my loved ones - even my dog - I can't guarantee what I would do to them. But you have to make a distinction between what you would do as a person and what you want the authorities of your state to do in a ritualized manner.

In my book, the task of any given state is to keep society safe. That can be achieved just as well by locking offenders up and throw the key away.

Apart from that, my reasons for being against capital punishment.

1) It's irreversible. There's always a margin of error, and (without looking up the particular numbers right now) 4 to 5 percent get off death row because of error. In all probability there are innocents that don't get off and get executed.

2) It never served as a deterrent. Offenders don't take into account being caught and put on trial.

3) In the case of the USA, it costs more than locking them up. If someone argues for quickening the process, see number 1.

4) The process always was inhumane. Regardless of the method being used. It only serves to satisfy a populous need for revenge. Mostly of people who haven't suffered by the hands of the particular offender.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The so-called "justice" system in this country appears to be more concerned with retribution than rehabilitation. I reject that view, and that goes for non-capital offenses as well. I reject it as barbaric.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Quote:An August 2016 study of the costs of Nebraska's death penalty by Dr. Ernest Goss, a Creighton University economics professor who founded the conservative think tank, Goss & Associates, found that the state spends $14.6 million per year to maintain its capital punishment system. The study, The Economic Impact of the Death Penalty on the State of Nebraska: A Taxpayer Burden?, also estimated that each death penalty prosecution cost Nebraska's taxpayers about $1.5 million more than a life without parole prosecution. Conducting a meta-analysis of cost studies conducted across the country, Dr. Gross estimated that the death penalty costs states with capital punishment an average of $23.2 million more per year than alternative sentences.

I'm sure the states could find better things to do with the money.... except Kansas which would just give it to rich fucks.
I'm not sure that the method is irrelevant . . . .

[Image: fargo-wood-chipper.gif]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I used to have mixed feelings about the death penalty. It's pretty clear to me now that it has nothing to do with justice. It's just an emotional response to crime, which is the only reason I was confused about it for so long.
I don't believe you. Get over it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earning the Vote FrustratedFool 111 4083 November 9, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Kevin McCarthy loses 6th vote for Speaker Brian37 111 4713 January 7, 2023 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1384 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Would you vote for a Scientologist? Fake Messiah 19 893 March 14, 2021 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 7494 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Lincoln Project/Vote Vets ad, featuring Sully..... Brian37 18 1281 September 30, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Sal
  Save The Vote - NOTA onlinebiker 18 690 September 29, 2020 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Vote Blue, no matter who Foxaèr 45 2926 February 9, 2020 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Prime Time
  Vote Blue No Matter Who! Foxaèr 18 1338 June 30, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Who Would You Vote for, Trump or Saunders? Rhondazvous 61 5213 June 26, 2019 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Athene