Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems?
*trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems?
Hi, all Smile

I used to frequent these forums just over two years ago when I was a staunch atheist myself - I used to post anti-religion memes on Facebook, thought Richard Dawkins was super cool, laughed at the *obviously* intellectually inferior religious fools (because the only measure of one's intelligence is whether they refute a god and submit themselves to the great and glorious concept of ~rationalism~ - right?), and generally, I acted like a very proper atheist.

But amidst all of my unwavering sense self-assurance and intellectualism, I now see in hindsight that I failed to ask myself one very important question - what makes me so sure of my beliefs?

I pose the above question to you today because I want you to consider this deeply. I now cringe at my past self, how arrogant and facetious I acted towards a topic which I, and every single one of you reading this post, have absolutely no certainty of. We are all clueless. We can guess, yes - we can ponder and theorise what the answer could be. But ultimately the answers we all come up with are nothing short of personal opinion or hope. Spouting out statements full of 100% assurance, as I see so many atheists do, like "There is no afterlife - deal with it" or "God doesn't exist - now enjoy life" demonstrate an almost - dare I say - religious sense of certainty?

This brings me to my next point: whether you are willing to see this or not (and I too remember wincing years ago when people said this but I now see their reasoning) - atheism follows almost all of the characteristics of an organised religion. It provides you with a sense of certitude, like you have figured out the universe; it gives you a community to belong to; there are bishop-like figures, think Dawkins, Krauss, etc etc., you make statements which you don't know are true for sure. - and finally: non-believers should be ridiculed because their views are *obviously* wrong and yours are completely, unquestionably correct - right?

Beyond this, I wish to understand the following: why is such visceral contempt held towards the idea of daring to have some hope that this universe may have a greater meaning beyond this one? Did you ever consider the person who has just lost their home, or their family, whose life is completely empty and whose only consolation is the hope that maybe there is a loving god out there who cares for them? Their opinion is no less valid than yours, and most of these people hold no ill will towards anyone. They choose (and I can completely understand why) to be optimistic and hopeful in what can be a sad and confusing world rather than desperately trying - quite strangely - to promote the idea of a universe devoid of any greater meaning at all. I ask you to please consider this the next time you laugh at such people.

Finally, to wrap up this post, I want to make one more point: if you are to fully embrace the cold harshness of rationalism and scientific reasoning as a guide for your philosophical views, you must see that in doing this you also accept that in nature there are no concepts of good or bad - the only guide you can get from it is to take what you can get and maximise your own happiness. No justice, no reward for good, or judgement for bad. Just do as you please. This is what rationalism looks like in practice - not ideal for a cohesive society.

I'm not sure about you, but given that our views on the world are personal choice due to our lack of knowledge about it all, I'd take a creed which at its core promotes love, justice, and selflessness towards others over a world view that's equally unprovable but is rooted in nothing more than a cold, every-man-for-himself cesspit.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Best wishes,
- Z
RE: *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems?
I was atheist before I came to AF and will be after I'm gone from here. My atheism in no way resembles organized religion. Never read any of the "bishops". 

And I'm certain there is no god(s). I'll change my mind when you or anyone can prove that god exists in reality, not in mans mind of fantasy. 

Tell me exactly how god gives the universe greater meaning.

If theists need the mental crutch of a "loving" god they are welcome to it. As long as they don't try to drag me with them. That's when the ridicule will start. 

I think you're wrong and nature does have examples of good and bad, you just fail to recognize them. 

So I take it that when you were an atheist you were all of the negatives you describe. Atheists can be optimistic and hopeful. They can promote love, justice and selflessness. If you didn't when an atheist you must have been one fucked up atheist. There may be a good chance that you will be a fucked up theist also.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 1, 2017 at 9:08 pm)PhilosophicalZebra Wrote: I pose the above question to you today because I want you to consider this deeply. I now cringe at my past self, how arrogant and facetious I acted towards a topic which I, and every single one of you reading this post, have absolutely no certainty of. We are all clueless. We can guess, yes - we can ponder and theorise what the answer could be. But ultimately the answers we all come up with are nothing short of personal opinion or hope. Spouting out statements full of 100% assurance, as I see so many atheists do, like "There is no afterlife - deal with it" or "God doesn't exist - now enjoy life" demonstrate an almost - dare I say - religious sense of certainty?
So, long story short..."Are you sure?".  Yes, I'm sure that I don't believe and simply cannot believe.  Afterlives...not an issue for atheism...though there, again, I'm not at all impressed by the notion as many atheists -are-.  It's not an issue of what I don;t know, but of what I do.  I can't "un-know it".  

Quote:This brings me to my next point: whether you are willing to see this or not (and I too remember wincing years ago when people said this but I now see their reasoning) - atheism follows almost all of the characteristics of an organised religion. It provides you with a sense of certitude, like you have figured out the universe; it gives you a community to belong to; there are bishop-like figures, think Dawkins, Krauss, etc etc., you make statements which you don't know are true for sure. - and finally: non-believers should be ridiculed because their views are *obviously* wrong and yours are completely, unquestionably correct - right?
Atheism doesn't provide me with a sense of certitude about anything.  I don't have the universe figured out, there is no "atheist community" to which I belong.  Dawkins and Krauss aren't my prophets or bishops...I've never read anything either have written.  I make statements that I -do- know are true, for sure....and I don;t ridicule believers for being wrong.  I ridicule them for being insufferable little shits -in- their misapprehension. 

Quote:Beyond this, I wish to understand the following: why is such visceral contempt held towards the idea of daring to have some hope that this universe may have a greater meaning beyond this one?
No clue, what does that have to do with atheism?

Quote:Did you ever consider the person who has just lost their home, or their family, whose life is completely empty and whose only consolation is the hope that maybe there is a loving god out there who cares for them?
Sure...I give them a pass..until they start babbling about homosex and kinds and how we need god back in our schools.

Quote:Their opinion is no less valid than yours, and most of these people hold no ill will towards anyone.
A common misunderstanding.  Not all "opinions" are, in fact, equal.

Quote:They choose (and I can completely understand why) to be optimistic and hopeful in what can be a sad and confusing world rather than desperately trying - quite strangely - to promote the idea of a universe devoid of any greater meaning at all. I ask you to please consider this the next time you laugh at such people.
I do...and it's the inevitable disappointment that they will face that I;m thinking of when I remind them that they don;t have o sign on the dotted line with ghosts if they need optimism and hope or greater meanings. 

Quote:Finally, to wrap up this post, I want to make one more point: if you are to fully embrace the cold harshness of rationalism and scientific reasoning as a guide for your philosophical views, you must see that in doing this you also accept that in nature there are no concepts of good or bad - the only guide you can get from it is to take what you can get and maximise your own happiness. No justice, no reward for good, or judgement for bad. Just do as you please. This is what rationalism looks like in practice - not ideal for a cohesive society.
I see that you're a loon peddling the same old "I used to be an atheist" story..regurgitating the same tired script as I've seen hundreds of times before.  That's what I see.  There's nothing cold or harsh in the world as it is, to me.  It's full of warmth.  Good and bad..these don't hang on the existence of fairies.  If they did, we'd all be fucked..because there are no fairies.  I'm not much of a rape and pillager, personally.  I like to build things.  I like to grow things.  I like to give things away.  Justice appears to be intact, if imperfect.  I find a great deal of reward in life, and I have suffered the consequences of poor and bad decisions.  I can't do any old thing I please..but for the most part, whatever I please is pretty mundane and, well..kind of jolly and hippyish.  I'm the old man in the shoe, with tons of kids and a busty wife.    

Tell me what about any of this isn't "cohesive" for society..again?  I just don't believe in fairies...loon.

Quote:I'm not sure about you, but given that our views on the world are personal choice due to our lack of knowledge about it all, I'd take a creed which at its core promotes love, justice, and selflessness towards others over a world view that's equally unprovable but is rooted in nothing more than a cold, every-man-for-himself cesspit.
Yours, maybe.  I have no choice and it's because of what know...not whatever it is you're ignorant of.  Even if it were possible..I couldn't string up the better man to cover my innumerable sins. My own shortcomings have been a little more meaningful than whether or not I got a chubby staring at my best buddies chubby or lied to Father Stewart about stealing the sacremental wine....so I take them more seriously than the scapegoating pieces of trash who want to harangue me for all of the irrelevant shit they consider sinful or distasteful, about me..as you've done in this very thread.

My thoughts? Go fuck yourself.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:atheism follows almost all of the characteristics of an organised religion.

You're full of shit.
Hey, PhilisophicalZebra...

I heard that you still think Dawkins is super cool. 
AND that you'll give it up to him for half a Snickers Bar...'cause you like playing hard to get. Wink
You were a shitty atheist. You're still cocky. Get over yourself.

What the heck does he think atheism is, anyhow? Is it everything it seems? No it is nothing at all in and of itself. It is a response to a question, not a cause.
Quote:"There is no afterlife - deal with it" or "God doesn't exist - now enjoy life" demonstrate an almost - dare I say - religious sense of certainty?

Bullshit.  What it reflects is the steadfast failure of moron believers to provide any evidence at all that their fairy tales are true.  If you ever come up with any feel free to present it and it will be studiously considered.  I won't be holding my breath waiting for that to happen.
I was atheist at 13 years old- 1972. Never had an atheist "bishop". Dawkins, Krauss, and Hitchens merely provided brilliant arguments which echoed sentiments I held but could have never put into words so skillfully.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

"Triggered" seems to be the new stick that people use to poke others to annoy them, pretending like they are agitated. I'm triggered by this lame ass post like this-   Jerkoff
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Hmmm...trying to decide if this violates the prime directive or not. Kinda similar to posts that assume all Christians are Evangelical fundamentalists.
<insert profound quote here>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 2787 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4958 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheism seems to rise in Turkey Woah0 1 833 September 11, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8186 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  What atheism is REALLY all about SisterAgatha 71 10307 October 13, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27111 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are the words "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 54 5723 January 3, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Are the wlrds "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 8 1515 January 2, 2017 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Mystical
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4474 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 15187 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet