Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Christian loons who support the death penalty.
Christian loons who support the death penalty.
With the impending Democratic victory, and hopefully, the continued progressivization of the federal courts, I did some online searches to see what Christian fundamentalists currently think about capital punishment.  This one really stood out:

Andrew Allen Cook was executed on February 22, 2013 for the brutal, senseless murders of two young college students around his age, Grant Patrick Hendrickson, 22, and Michele Lee Cartagena, 19; he was apprehended nearly 2 years after the crime after his dad, an FBI agent, turned him in:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-1995.html

As an atheist, I am opposed to executions for any and all crimes, no matter how grievous, but what really bothered me after reading this story is what one of the victim's mothers said:

Quote:She added: 'I think that's what it was: the devil's work. When all that is going on, I was just thinking to myself, 'Well, the devil is not going to win. He's not going to win over my heart. He is not going to win.''

This just makes me sick!  For starters, the idea of a "devil", "devils" and/or "evil spirits" is just plain lunacy; it's equivalent to believing that the South won the US Civil War.  But, worse, when this mother was witnessing the slow death of her child's killer, she was thinking, "Hey, they're killing one of Satan's servants" and as opposed to think that a living, breathing human being was dying before her very eyes.  How convenient!  If this does not show the evil of conservative Christian thinking, then what does?

While there are atheists who support the death penalty, I am ecstatic about the upcoming victory of Secretary Clinton and the diminishing role and influence of Christian fundamentalism in the United States.
RE: Christian loons who support the death penalty.
Jesus freaks are a bit slow on the uptake.

[Image: MilbrD20110922_low.jpg]
It's in direct contradiction to their ancient scholars, if they endorse capital punishment. It's only a result of the Constantinian ass kissing contest that they revised their views. And courtesy of antisemites and enemies of the people such as Martin Luther that they suck up to authority.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
He really needs to be smoking a cigarette.
I may disagree with the death penalty, but I also know plenty of atheists who support it. I don't necessarily see this as a religious point of view. There might be some hypocrisy in there though, and then you may have a point. Fundamentalists are also very nauseating with their reasoning.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(October 25, 2016 at 8:40 pm)Jesster Wrote: I may disagree with the death penalty, but I also know plenty of atheists who support it. I don't necessarily see this as a religious point of view. There might be some hypocrisy in there though, and then you may have a point. Fundamentalists are also very nauseating with their reasoning.

And, in no way am I trying to diminish the horrific nature of this particular murders, but the mom's statement reminds me of the classic quote from the Albigensian Crusade, ""Kill them all and let God sort them out."  It's much easier for Christian fundamentalist wackos to say that "Satan's servant" is being put to death and that person's consciousness will continue on in the 'afterlife' as opposed to acknowledging the fact that the condemned inmate is about to have his/her conscious existence annihilated out of existence.  Certainly, in the South at least, there is this religious aspects and/or overtones to executions.  Frankly, I could never kill another human, except, perhaps, in the heat of self-defense if I felt my life or that of my family threatened.  In this case, at least, there was an alternative of life imprisonment without parole, but any pity that may be felt in execution chambers across the US can simply be written off as being "the Devil's work".  It has all the superficiality of a Disney movie, absent the horrific fact that a human being is being put to death.
I generally let the parents of victims have their say. They are expressing their opinions from their viewpoint of which the truly lucky among us will never experience.

A friend of mine was shot dead in Wisconsin many years ago, a drive by, thrill kill scenario, and one executed at a gay bar with no regard as to who was shot there. I've had the occasional uncharitable thoughts imagining what (should have) became of the killer(s). Having said that, it's truly a different world today than it was 35 years ago.

I've Google Earth'd the site, it's a vacant lot now. There wasn't anything visible in the street view either . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 25, 2016 at 8:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Jesus freaks are a bit slow on the uptake.

[Image: MilbrD20110922_low.jpg]

Wasn't that said because he thought the world was going to end in a few decades? The world didn't end, and his followers started following the older rules instead.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I have no qualms about the death penalty, personally.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
I agree it's hypocritical for a Christian to call themselves pro life but then take a non pro life stance when it comes to criminals. Life is either sacred or it isn't.

I don't support Hilary but I don't support Trump either.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baptists in Texas don't support Biden Foxaèr 12 1432 January 7, 2021 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88784 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
Lightbulb Support for a friend EllHarris412 52 5971 August 13, 2016 at 6:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7404 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Christian disonance of support iteractions. Brakeman 0 917 November 23, 2013 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  Lord Carey attacks PM over Christian 'support' Darwinian 6 2876 March 30, 2013 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6321 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej