Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Nightmare On Elmstreet, old vs. new
A Nightmare On Elmstreet, old vs. new
So the other day I saw the original for the first time ever, and now I'm watching the remake (I mistook the torrent for the second one). In the first one Freddy seemed a lot more insane and goofy, like he was doing it all for fun which is the attitude I'd expect from some child killer psychopath. In the new one he seems to show a lot more restraint while having a motive for his killing. Their origins are slightly different too, the original was a child killer, while the remake was a child molester. I think the original Freddy is a bit more scary (though they did try in the new one with the whole keeping you asleep forever for raping, but that was more creepy than scary), in both the behavior and makeup. The remake also relies a bit on jump scares which is kinda lame. Robert Englund did a better job at pulling off Freddy than Jackie Haley, who just seems to be doing his Watchmen voice. The effects in the newer one aren't even particularly all that better than in the original. Other than Freddy having a motive, the only real updates are it shows the internet and cellphones. That and a few scenes here and there and a few other tiny details. Did we really need a remake? Hollywood needs to knock that shit off.
RE: A Nightmare On Elmstreet, old vs. new
*groan* I can't believe they did a remake of Nightmare on Elm Street. I absolutely hate remakes because they invariably suck ass. Like Planet of the Apes, for example. And Nightmare on Elm Street had so many sequels I don't know why a remake was necessary. It would be like doing a remake of Halloween or Friday the 13th.

The think about Nightmare on Elm Street is that the first one or two were pretty scary, but after that Freddy went on to become an anti-hero and you were just rooting for him to kill the stupid kids.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 28, 2016 at 3:39 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: *groan*  I can't believe they did a remake of Nightmare on Elm Street.  I absolutely hate remakes because they invariably suck ass.  Like Planet of the Apes, for example.  And Nightmare on Elm Street had so many sequels I don't know why a remake was necessary.  It would be like doing a remake of Halloween or Friday the 13th.

The think about Nightmare on Elm Street is that the first one or two were pretty scary, but after that Freddy went on to become an anti-hero and you were just rooting for him to kill the stupid kids.

I don't mind certain remakes. I liked the 2 new Planet Of The Apes movies, and I liked the King Kong remake, and a few other examples. However yeah, a lot of them suck or are just mediocre and not needed. This one included.
I prefer the original.
A Nightmare on Elm Street is was one of my favorite movies.  I've always been a bit of a horror fanatic.  I used to love the old B horror movies and Return of the Living Dead followed by Return of the Living Dead 2 are my 2 absolute favorite movies, defining what a zombie "should be" for me.  Bruce Campbell is one of only three famous people I care anything about (the other two being Ozzy Osbourne and Tim Curry) because of Evil Dead 2 (the first was basically the same movie only too serious) and Army of Darkness.  I am currently enjoying the hell out of the  Ash vs Evil Dead series.

I think I watched the remake, but I don't remember for sure.  I tend not to remember movies that don't make an impression on me until I try watching them again.  These days, that's most movies.  I do remember "NOT Robert England" being Freddy in something I watched.  It sucked.  The original A Nightmare on Elm Street was one of the defining horror movies of my day and set the stage for me absolutely hating almost all modern horror.  That psychological bullshit is just crap.  You can shove Saw and all its pathetic spawn right up your ass.  I'll even give a good push for you, if it helps.  The ONLY really, REALLY good horror movie I've seen in, probably, a couple decades was the original Paranormal Activity.  It was the first movie to actually creep me out since probably the late '80s.  Though I do have to give kudos to The Exorcist for the backward crab walk down the stairs scene.  Not really my genre, but that was a creepy-ass scene.

So yeah, Robert England IS Freddy Kruger.  There is no other, which is fine, because we don't need another Nightmare anyway.  They got stale after a while.  I don't know if I've even seen them all, but I can say definitively that of the "England" movies, Nightmare 2 was definitely the worst of the bunch.  I enjoyed the hell out of some of the scenes from more recent ones (still old).  Particularly this scene:

Have you ever noticed all the drug commercials on TV lately?  Why is it the side effects never include penile enlargement or super powers?
Side effects may include super powers or enlarged penis which may become permanent with continued use.  Stop taking Killatol immediately and consult your doctor if you experience penis enlargement of more than 3 inches, laser vision, superhuman strength, invulnerability, the ability to explode heads with your mind or time travel.  Killatoll is not for everyone, especially those who already have convertibles or vehicles of ridiculous size to supplement penis size.
Haven't seen the remake and don't really feel like it either. I liked the original too much.
(October 28, 2016 at 3:39 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: It would be like doing a remake of Halloween or Friday the 13th.

Both of which have been done.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I preferred the original Elm Street. A completely unhinged psycho is more terrifying to me.

Re: Planet of the Apes. I didn't care at all for the Mark Wahlberg straight up remake, but liked seeing someone's take on the origin story in Dawn and Rise. I'm unsure about the next installment since we all now how it ends. I'll be disappointed if it's nothing more than an action flick. If on the other hand it plumbs the depths of certain philosophical points; e.g., human consideration of sentience in another species and what implications it has regarding equitable treatment, it may be worth the time. Doing this would have strong parallels to race relations, immigration, religious strife and partisan politics among others.
(October 28, 2016 at 1:57 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: So the other day I saw the original for the first time ever, and now I'm watching the remake (I mistook the torrent for the second one). In the first one Freddy seemed a lot more insane and goofy, like he was doing it all for fun which is the attitude I'd expect from some child killer psychopath. In the new one he seems to show a lot more restraint while having a motive for his killing. Their origins are slightly different too, the original was a child killer, while the remake was a child molester. I think the original Freddy is a bit more scary (though they did try in the new one with the whole keeping you asleep forever for raping, but that was more creepy than scary), in both the behavior and makeup. The remake also relies a bit on jump scares which is kinda lame. Robert Englund did a better job at pulling off Freddy than Jackie Haley, who just seems to be doing his Watchmen voice. The effects in the newer one aren't even particularly all that better than in the original. Other than Freddy having a motive, the only real updates are it shows the internet and cellphones. That and a few scenes here and there and a few other tiny details. Did we really need a remake? Hollywood needs to knock that shit off.

I've seen the original but I have no intention to see the remake. I never liked the original in the first place. I prefer "Jeepers Creepers".
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 6308 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused