Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump won the white working-man vote..
Trump won the white working-man vote..
...by 39 points!!!

http://www.electoral-vote.com/#item-1

Incredible!  But, as the article states, Trump's victory may turn out to be the best thing for the progressive cause, assuming, of course, that the SCOTUS judges can live on (and on and on!)
RE: Trump won the white working-man vote..
(November 17, 2016 at 7:35 am)Jehanne Wrote: ...by 39 points!!!

Incredible!  But, as the article states, Trump's victory may turn out to be the best thing for the progressive cause, assuming, of course, that the SCOTUS judges can live on (and on and on!)

As I alluded to in a different thread.  Many/Most of this group are the same people that for years have been railing against the poor for using any sort of welfare security net to help them get by and improve their situation.  You know the group, "pull yourself up by your bootstraps".  Now they bitch and moan that the economy, society, the world has passed them by.  Unemployment is low, yet they lack the skills nor the will to achieve the skills needed to get a better paying job.  They want their coal mining, street sweeping, snow plowing, assembly line, and foundry jobs back.

Unions are the devil..  Because "they" don't belong to one.  They are angry at what others have and they don't.  Math and science are useless because they demonstrate "inconvenient" truths such as evolution and climate change.

Just my opinions of course, but my parents voted Trump and the above is exactly as I see them.  My mother was a teen mom who refused to take any government help to improve her situation.  She got pregnant at 16, was married and then divorced by 20.  She moved back to small town America where she grew up, and was always concerned with what the townies were saying about her.  She worked as a clerk for little to nothing at my grandfathers drug store, and she remarried an aspiring farmer five years her junior when she was 27.

From my perspective, she kept us in poverty because of pride and ignorance.   She could have moved to a different town for some anonymity, went on welfare, and went back to school.  She could have come out the other side with a higher paying job, and paid higher taxes for 40 years.  My step father isn't any better.

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
(November 17, 2016 at 9:01 am)Kosh Wrote: As I alluded to in a different thread.  Many/Most of this group are the same people that for years have been railing against the poor for using any sort of welfare security net to help them get by and improve their situation.  You know the group, "pull yourself up by your bootstraps".  Now they bitch and moan that the economy, society, the world has passed them by.  Unemployment is low, yet they lack the skills nor the will to achieve the skills needed to get a better paying job.  They want their coal mining, street sweeping, snow plowing, assembly line, and foundry jobs back.

But there's a direct line between the tea party and someone like Trump winning. The far right has managed to instrumentalise the disenfranchised for their needs. It was even more bizarre with the Tea Party, given who stood behind that so called movement. It was billionaires, who wouldn't even wipe their asses with one of their recruits. And all these people went willing against their own interests.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

I think it may or may not be, personally. The protesting and accusation of them all being racist bigots isn't really helping the cause and will only continue to push these people further away. But on the other hand, Trump might be SO bad, that it forces people to the opposite side anyway. 

I guess we will see. All we can do now is hope for the best for this country.  Undecided
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
As if pushing bigots and racists away were a bad thing.  I'd push them right into the sea. Then we'd have -plenty- of room for all of the people they hate so goddamned much.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 17, 2016 at 10:00 am)Rhythm Wrote: As if pushing bigots and racists away were a bad thing.  I'd push them right into the sea.  Then we'd have -plenty- of room for all of the people they hate so goddamned much.

But what if they're the right ones? 

I don't know, man. . . Those Jews look mighty scary to me.
(November 17, 2016 at 10:00 am)Rhythm Wrote: As if pushing bigots and racists away were a bad thing.  I'd push them right into the sea.  Then we'd have -plenty- of room for all of the people they hate so goddamned much.

what don't you understand about being intolerant of those in whom you deem 'intolerant' makes you JUST LIKE THEM?

So you need to make room for yourself in the push to the ocean!
(November 17, 2016 at 9:53 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:

I think it may or may not be, personally. The protesting and accusation of them all being racist bigots isn't really helping the cause and will only continue to push these people further away. 

Bingo.  Politics isn't about what's right, it's about what's popular.  Unfortunately, the alt-right has made racism... I don't want to say it's popular, but their irreverant sense of humor makes it not-unpopular.  On the flip side, the regressive left are infamous for not being able to laugh at anything, which has made them about as popular as ebola.

The other frustrating thing about this stat (which I can believe) is that, when a lot of lefties see that white, middle class males aren't voting for their candidate, they tend to take that as evidence that white people are racist or as evidence that Trump really does stand for racism.  They don't seem to realize it for the problem it is: they're poling extremely low in a very large demographic.  Maybe us lefties need to take that stat and figure out why white, working class people don't want to vote for our side.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(November 17, 2016 at 9:53 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I think it may or may not be, personally. The protesting and accusation of them all being racist bigots isn't really helping the cause and will only continue to push these people further away. But on the other hand, Trump might be SO bad, that it forces people to the opposite side anyway. 

I guess we will see. All we can do now is hope for the best for this country.  Undecided

Here's a thought. If people don't want to be called bigots, maybe they shouldn't hitch their wagon to bigots.

Sure, not everyone that voted Trump did so for racial reasons, but they had no problem overlooking facts like Trump calling for a national registry of Muslims much like the Nazis did to the Jews. It's racism by proxy at best. You lie with dogs, you get fleas.

If they feel pushed away by hearing the truth, that shouldn't stop us from pointing it out.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 17, 2016 at 10:10 am)Drich Wrote: what don't you understand about being intolerant of those in whom you deem 'intolerant' makes you JUST LIKE THEM?

So you need to make room for yourself in the push to the ocean!

Right! If we don't tolerate neo-Nazis, it makes us just as bad as them!

#NazisArePeopleToo
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earning the Vote FrustratedFool 111 3770 November 9, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Kevin McCarthy loses 6th vote for Speaker Brian37 111 4609 January 7, 2023 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1326 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Raising the minimum wage won't help Foxaèr 156 7179 June 16, 2021 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Would you vote for a Scientologist? Fake Messiah 19 869 March 14, 2021 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 7339 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I Know This Won’t Come As A Shock BrianSoddingBoru4 13 715 February 15, 2021 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The white privilege to terrorize Foxaèr 116 7575 November 2, 2020 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Militias/BS white anxiety and toilet paper. Brian37 10 1084 October 29, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 983 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker