Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Hawking an Atheist?
Stephen Hawking an Atheist?
It looks like Stephen Hawking has joined the atheist bandwagon as he has expressed a non-belief in God in a new book due out next week entitled 'The Grand Design'.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_n...in_hawking
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

RE: Stephen Hawking an Atheist?
He's done so for near a decade now, this is just the first book he's published that states his position.
Thanks VOID ! I was unaware of that.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(September 2, 2010 at 5:07 pm)chatpilot Wrote: Thanks VOID ! I was unaware of that.
Yeah I always thought he held a weak atheist position and his "mind of god" comment in the brief history of time was only made to emphasize a point (and also because he ran out of ideas to explain the beginning of everything). It seems he stills holds at least that view.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
No, in the Brief history of time era he was certainly a deist, this is more apparent from his interviews than the book it's self (albeit a weak one), his position has simply changed from "God is likely be behind" to "god doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it but i still find it likely personally" to "god isn't needed at and shouldn't be used".
(September 2, 2010 at 5:36 pm)theVOID Wrote: No, in the Brief history of time era he was certainly a deist, this is more apparent from his interviews than the book it's self (albeit a weak one), his position has simply changed from "God is likely be behind" to "god doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it but i still find it likely personally" to "god isn't needed at and shouldn't be used".

That basically defines intellectual evolution.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
Stating that God has nothing to do with the scientific understanding is neither theistic not anti theistic.
(September 3, 2010 at 3:46 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Stating that God has nothing to do with the scientific understanding is neither theistic not anti theistic.
Can't agree with that. If a god played any role at all in anything in our universe (eg materialised a god / himself in human form) the he must be disposed to being detectable by science. For instance if god was simulataneously god and nailed to a cross, he was observable and could be measured.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
I don't see how that applies Cap'n. Do you need to understand a biblical message with scientific evidence? No... you need to link the material and the non material.
(September 3, 2010 at 4:16 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I don't see how that applies Cap'n. Do you need to understand a biblical message with scientific evidence? No... you need to link the material and the non material.
According to the thesim the immaterial created the material. That would be a link!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hitchens, Dawkins, Hawking, Ehrman, Coin, Sagan: Where are the Woman? Rhondazvous 44 4239 January 14, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Pastor Stephen Anderson Manowar 5 1169 November 6, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Stephen Hawking Lays It All Out Minimalist 41 5677 September 26, 2014 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: MusicLovingAtheist
  Stephen Hawking lays out case for Big Bang without God A_Nony_Mouse 1 1799 April 18, 2013 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Stephen Hawking Nails It Minimalist 50 13156 May 20, 2011 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: Napoléon