Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macy's 90th anniversary parade
Macy's 90th anniversary parade
That made me look into how long the business has been around.

It has only been known as Macys since 2004. It was formerly known as R. H. Macy & Co., which has been around for 158 years, since 1858.

When bread was a penny back then, what did things cost at that store? Was it always an expensive retail store?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Macy's 90th anniversary parade
Using the inflation calculator, $200 in 1913 is over $4.7k now.

Assuming you pay $85 per shopping run like I do, that would amount to roughly $3.5 in 1913. This would be for several meats, plenty of milk, water, bread and assorted vegetables. I would infer that prices for groceries would be in the 1-5 cents range on average per item.

Put another way, if by end of day you were paid one dollar in 1913, it would be like receiving $23.

Inflation and automation are strange and wonderous.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I note corn prices from 1819 to now are essentially unchanged

Go FARMERS !!!!

YEA !!!!

Showing everyone else how to purchase everything for inflated prices but still selling commodities at prices from almost 200 years ago !!!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Might be good for the country if for a month every year, everyone gets paid the equivalent of the minimum wage from 200 years ago. And that's just wages, we'll leave prices for everything unchanged.

Might result in a greater appreciation of today's farmers !
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 29, 2016 at 4:31 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Might be good for the country if for a month every year, everyone gets paid the equivalent of the minimum wage from 200 years ago.

Well, 200 years ago, the minimum "wage" involved offal, boiled greens, and no trip to the whipping post -- if you 'behaved'. If you were really lucky, your family might not be sold that month.

It would definitely result in a greater appreciation of today's farmers!
A 1st class ticket on the Titanic would go for $50.000 today. A penny was something in 1858, but I don't know what they sold in 1858 and how pricey it was.

According to their history, they were a dry good department store.

https://macysinc.com/about-us/macysinc-h...fault.aspx
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
no shit !

I buy everything I use at retail prices, and I sell everything I sell at wholesale.

That trick is fucking impressive, not counting the flat commodity prices for 2 centuries.

£3.50? Back in my day that would've bought seven cars.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Anniversary BrianSoddingBoru4 12 1184 June 3, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Five year forum anniversary Foxaèr 23 1779 March 15, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Happy anniversary, Tiberius! Shell B 17 2479 January 18, 2018 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Help Me Wish Tiberius a Happy Anniversary? Shell B 54 6178 January 20, 2017 at 3:04 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Today (Feb 16) Is The 2nd Anniversary Of My Father’s Passing Rhondazvous 7 1441 February 16, 2016 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  9 Month Anniversary Rhondazvous 14 2544 January 14, 2016 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Official two year anniversary Foxaèr 7 1458 March 16, 2015 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  10th anniversary Oldandeasilyconfused 4 1629 May 22, 2012 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused