Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does BDSM Need Its Own Rights Movement?
Does BDSM Need Its Own Rights Movement?
I personally think that BDSM needs its own rights movement, just like what LGBT people have.

People can face much bigotry if they are openly kinky, just as gay people do. I think gays & kinksters are natural allies as no only do these categories often overlap, & both are persecuted as sexual minorities.

What are your views on this?
RE: Does BDSM Need Its Own Rights Movement?
If BDSM people feel oppression then by all means they can form a pressure group. I think it is different from being gay though because Gays have been openly persecuted and even murdered for being Gay BDSM people might get some mild sniggering but its becoming mainstream now. Lots of girls like being tied up as part of play and one fuck buddy of mine likes to be spanked (just not too hard).

I think we are shifting very very quickly towards greater acceptance of Sexual diversity and its a good thing
Yeah I think the internet has brought around a new sexual revolution. But I don't think people that enjoy BDSM need a rights movement mainly because I don't think they are having their rights taken away, the biggest issue as la ban said, is that you may get a few raised eyebrows but that's about it. Public acceptance would probably be the main thing the group needs, just in terms of being able to be open about it. I do think that you would get less weird looks from a gay couple holding hands (at least in most of MA) then if I was to walk my girl down the street on a leash.
Much as I appreciate the position as a kinkster myself, I don't exactly think the BDSM/LGBT comparison is a valid one; there isn't any curtailing of rights based on this fetish, for example, and the level of persecution faced is vastly different too.

Much of what those in the BDSM community experience is misconception, rather than outright abuse; I freely grant that there are nasty stereotypes out there, but the way we beat them is to be the best possible representative for our kinks as we can be, assuming we want to be out about it.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 18, 2014 at 11:49 am)EgoRaptor Wrote: I personally think that BDSM needs its own rights movement, just like what LGBT people have.

People can face much bigotry if they are openly kinky, just as gay people do. I think gays & kinksters are natural allies as no only do these categories often overlap, & both are persecuted as sexual minorities.

What are your views on this?

Some people ought to Shut up and enjoy the discrimination, abuse and spanking that those worthless piece of shit deserve.
(January 18, 2014 at 12:52 pm)Chuck Wrote: Some people ought to Shut up and enjoy the discrimination, abuse and spanking that those worthless piece of shit deserve.

That doesn't seem very Safe, Sane and Consensual. Big Grin

Also, where are the dominants in that equation? Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
There are definitely problems because a man cannot even be seen acting submissive toward his significant other. Can you imagine the crap a man would have to put up with if people knew that he was a sub?
(January 18, 2014 at 4:28 pm)EgoRaptor Wrote: There are definitely problems because a man cannot even be seen acting submissive toward his significant other. Can you imagine the crap a man would have to put up with if people knew that he was a sub?

You do have a point here and if a woman was publicly a sub to a man then you would have the Loony-feminists screaming the place down (they are incredibly intolerant of anything other than strict gay or strict hetero and discriminate against bisexual and transgendered people.
(January 18, 2014 at 11:15 pm)là bạn điên Wrote: You do have a point here and if a woman was publicly a sub to a man then you would have the Loony-feminists screaming the place down (they are incredibly intolerant of anything other than strict gay or strict hetero and discriminate against bisexual and transgendered people.

There's a bigger problem than that, there: to the untrained eye, a submissive woman could easily look like one in an abusive relationship. Especially with the bruises that sometimes come along with kink.

Hell, I've had people call it abuse even when they've had the circumstances fully explained to them. It's sad.

(January 18, 2014 at 11:20 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(January 18, 2014 at 11:15 pm)là bạn điên Wrote: You do have a point here and if a woman was publicly a sub to a man then you would have the Loony-feminists screaming the place down (they are incredibly intolerant of anything other than strict gay or strict hetero and discriminate against bisexual and transgendered people.

There's a bigger problem than that, there: to the untrained eye, a submissive woman could easily look like one in an abusive relationship. Especially with the bruises that sometimes come along with kink.

Hell, I've had people call it abuse even when they've had the circumstances fully explained to them. It's sad.

I'm not sure its appropriate that sexual play need have a public dimension. Gay people have been subject to abuse for holding hands in public or for kissing in Public -something that doesn't happen for gay people. BDSM is something people do and doesn't go to the root of identity as homosexuality does. Straight BDSM people can hold hands or kiss in public with no issues.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7282 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Does the US need a national hymm? brewer 11 536 February 3, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Civil Rights. Gawdzilla Sama 12 849 October 20, 2020 at 7:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 803 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  ISIS is the Sauds. The Sauds own ISIS. It's America's cold war gift. WinterHold 15 6368 February 5, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Saudi Arabia whitewashing its reputation by paying to PR companies WinterHold 0 212 October 17, 2018 at 8:00 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  U.S. withdrawing from UN Human Rights Council? Foxaèr 26 2922 June 23, 2018 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Joods
  The Rights disdain of Hillary, where does it come from? GODZILLA 89 11644 March 21, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Athiestforum.org is a terrorist hole; accrding to new Saudi law. Human Rights Watch WinterHold 16 3150 November 24, 2017 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Senate Republicunt Assholes Prepare Their Own Tax Plan Minimalist 7 1270 November 9, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Brian37