Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Those Who'd Like To Read It.
For Those Who'd Like To Read It.
A full online version of Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus."

https://archive.org/stream/Prof.BartEhrm...s_djvu.txt
RE: For Those Who'd Like To Read It.
How long is this going to stay up? Because, given how it's still under copyright, I can't expect it to be that long.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Quien sabe?
Ehrman is amazing; cutting thru the crap that has built up for 2000 years around the fetid quagmire that is the actual Christianity and revealing the truth.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

How does Ehrman's approach compare to Robert Price's?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Price is now a full-fledged mythicist.  Ehrman continues to cling to some concept of a historical jesus....although there are so many variants of that position that it is getting absurd.  Jesus is so poorly defined that he is whatever the theologian wants him to be.  Mainly what they want is for him to have existed in some form or other.....silly as that may be.
Biblical Jesus indeed has some serious problems, and retconning by early followers (termed used profoundly loosely) has muddled things hopelessly. No point in worshipping/believing Jesus as none of the 70,000 schisms can possibly be correct.

Ehrman has taken 69,999 false sects/denoms and added 1 more, so to say. There is no possibility ANY Christian religion is correct, they are ALL false, fatally contrived, cravenly based, and/or fraudulently gestated.

Damn, 2000 years of all that crap for fucking nothing.

A frequent complaint of mine regarding Mormonism is the overwhelming and obvious stench it was made up as Joe Smith went along, it never occurred to me there would be enough of a paper trail to pin that on Christianity as a whole, but thanks to Ehrman, we're there.

The entirety of Christianity is tens of thousands of sects all presenting themselves as religions about Jesus.

The religion OF Jesus is irretrievably lost to the ages.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Here's Price at Skepticon 2:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6557 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Just Look at all Those Fulfilled Prophecies! YahwehIsTheWay 37 5677 December 6, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Those Theists Willie23 50 5314 May 21, 2018 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I just read the catholic cathechism Der/die AtheistIn 25 5355 February 25, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Have you read the good book? Angrboda 147 21890 March 23, 2017 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Papers that every Christian should read! Jehanne 3 977 December 8, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Do right wing Christians read the bible? Won2blv 19 3657 October 16, 2016 at 5:59 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Do I sound like the "devil" to you? My mother thinks I speak like the devil... ReptilianPeon 60 9281 July 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  For those who want proof of the exodus Drich 868 134477 February 11, 2016 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Drich
  something interesting to read dyresand 22 6118 November 17, 2014 at 9:46 am
Last Post: dyresand