Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Do right wing Christians read the bible?
Do right wing Christians read the bible?
I was pretty disturbed by Pence's comments at the debate. The dude thinks that the constitution kicks ass... except when it interferes with his small minded social views. But I was especially irked when he talked about the Syrian refugees. I would love for someone to ask Pence this question...

"According to James 1:27, 'Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.' So wouldn't this scripture imply that you being a "pure Christian" would mean accepting the most vulnerable of Syrian refugees?"
RE: Do right wing Christians read the bible?
Republicans are dumb for a reason.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Would the present day Syrians, in the eyes of a modern era Christian be the OT equivalent of Amelekites however ??

I'm not sure Pence is straying too far from some odious tenets of his faith, rather than just being a butt all on his own.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The fuckers have their own bible.

[Image: 1sHBNya.jpg]
Uh no not at all.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(October 8, 2016 at 12:31 am)Won2blv Wrote: I was pretty disturbed by Pence's comments at the debate. The dude thinks that the constitution kicks ass... except when it interferes with his small minded social views. But I was especially irked when he talked about the Syrian refugees. I would love for someone to ask Pence this question...

"According to James  1:27,  'Pure  religion  and  undefiled  before  God  and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.' So wouldn't this scripture imply that you being a "pure Christian" would mean accepting the most vulnerable of Syrian refugees?"

Try the NIV.
Quote:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
B-mine

It's obviously the latter that's being focused on.  Rolleyes
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
And I always thought religious people were calm, cool and collected types who would never hurt a fly and welcome all those in need.

I was wrong:

Almost as ridiculous as the national anthems of the UK and France, with all having references to war and blood. All this in the name of religion.
I highly doubt many Christians have read it. I asked one one if they had read it all the way through, seeing it was the word of god and all that. The reply was, "Only an idiot would do that".

I'd guess about 10% have actually read the whole thing properly, if that.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 8, 2016 at 12:08 pm)robvalue Wrote: I highly doubt many Christians have read it. I asked one one if they had read it all the way through, seeing it was the word of god and all that. The reply was, "Only an idiot would do that".

I'd guess about 10% have actually read the whole thing properly, if that.

If most christians actually read their own bible most of them wouldn't be christians anymore.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(October 8, 2016 at 12:31 am)Won2blv Wrote: I was pretty disturbed by Pence's comments at the debate. The dude thinks that the constitution kicks ass... except when it interferes with his small minded social views. But I was especially irked when he talked about the Syrian refugees. I would love for someone to ask Pence this question...

"According to James  1:27,  'Pure  religion  and  undefiled  before  God  and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.' So wouldn't this scripture imply that you being a "pure Christian" would mean accepting the most vulnerable of Syrian refugees?"

The answer is, obviously, no.  But here's the thing: the vast, vast majority of these people's supporters haven't, either.  They use their religion to excuse their shitty world view.  Horrible things in the name of piety.  Religion adds a sense of authoritative weight to it, that's all.  They can point to their holy book or the crucifix and say that those give them the right, even if what they want to do isn't necessarily in line with what the religion said.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 43901 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6380 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7590 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I just read the catholic cathechism Der/die AtheistIn 25 5333 February 25, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What I see in the Bible is different then Jews and Christians. Mystic 8 2574 December 31, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Have you read the good book? Angrboda 147 21623 March 23, 2017 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  For Those Who'd Like To Read It. Minimalist 7 1253 December 29, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Papers that every Christian should read! Jehanne 3 974 December 8, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 30516 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 50557 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho