Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Logic?
What is Logic?
I've just started this thread after looking through a number of threads and noted how much confusion there seems to be about what logic is and can do (especially many theists who seem to be of the opinion that logic alone can proove the existence of a deity).

I'll give my pennys woth to start off.

Logic is purely the manipulations of a set of axioms (starting assumptions) using a number of agreed manipulation rules to arrive at a result. The only subject for which logic alone is of use is in Mathematics. If we extend logic alone being used to describe Life, the Universe and Everything, we have Philosophy (I would include Theology here too). when logic is used with careful observation and experimentation, then we have Science.

I'd be interested to see what others think.

All the best

Chris
Archeologists near mount Sinai have discovered what is believed to be a
missing page from the Bible. The page is currently being carbon dated in
Bonn. If genuine it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to
read "To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are
fictitous and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely
coincidental." - Newsreader in 'Red Dwarf 2: Better Than Life'
RE: What is Logic?
Quote:The only subject for which logic alone is of use is in Mathematics. If we extend logic alone being used to describe Life, the Universe and Everything, we have Philosophy (I would include Theology

Formal logic is also a distinct area of philosophy. It may be based on axioms or theorems.

Perhaps do some research on the discipline of logic.I think your view may be a smidge simplistic.

Quote:In formal logic, a formal system (also called a logical calculus[citation needed]) consists of a formal language and a set of inference rules, used to derive (to conclude) an expression from one or more other premises that are antecedently supposed (axioms) or derived (theorems). The axioms and rules may be called a deductive apparatus. A formal system may be formulated and studied for its intrinsic properties, or it may be intended as a description (i.e. a model) of external phenomena.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_system
RE: What is Logic?
I have to agree with your description on almost every count. It seems accurate enough to me that we take base assumptions and observations and apply intuitive knowledge and understanding to them to reach conclusions. However, I wouldn't say that there are necessarily 'manipulation rules' as you put it, because those could never be thoroughly agreed upon. Logic isn't really a toy, it is that which is intuitive and beneficial to the user and the biggest overall group.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 757 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5491 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 26618 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 150417 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14429 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 54819 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9153 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Logic vs Evidence dimaniac 34 12760 November 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Exclamation The Ill-Logic, it Burns Bob Kelso 7 2628 April 1, 2014 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Proving god with logic? xr34p3rx 47 11654 March 21, 2014 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist